My audio interfaces affect sound quality from synth's

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi guys!
have a next problem. I got 2 hardware synthesizers last year, Korg Krome with 128 Polyphony and Korg Kingkorg. All this time i thought that Krome can't do a rich Supersaw sound, and something wrong with Krome's reverb and my VST's reverb was in ton times better...but now, when i connected my Beyerdynamics 1350 directly to Krome and later to Steinberg UR22, where Krome connected through
outdoor mic outputs, i was a bit in shock...direct to headphones it sounds just amazing, but when it goes to Steinberg, i hear it like more Monophonic, not so opened sound like it goes direct. What i doing next - connecting synth to JBL LSR 308P MkII monitor speakers, and wow - sounds same perfect lik directly to the headphones. Connecting synth through Steinberg UR22 and from Steinberg to monitor speakers - also sounds like more Monophonic.
Before this i recorded some time Krome through FL Studio/and Krome VST editor, and after rendering(with using Steinberg UR22 ASIO of course) it sounds better than i hear it before rendering.
So have a problem, what is affect the sound?
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

NatLife wrote:connected through outdoor mic outputs
¿que?

Mics go to inputs, never outputs.
Mics especially for outdoor? Like, they can get wet and not break? :hihi:

Weren't you discussing synths? These usually are connected to line inputs, not mic inputs.
more monophonic
It is either monophonic or stereophonic. Is there any difference in left & right?

It can be "pilot error" in the connection. How exactly have you connected it? What sort of cables? Which outputs go to which inputs?

It also can be "pilot error" in daw software. Are you recording to a mono channel maybe?

Can you do a test with a sound only left or right from the synth, and watch the daw meters how it arrives there?

Actually, there's a test suite for you:
http://audio.rightmark.org/products/rmaa.shtml
Last edited by BertKoor on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Yeah, how exactly do you have it hooked up?

BertKoor wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:24 pm
NatLife wrote:connected through outdoor mic outputs
¿que?

Mics go to inputs, never outputs.
Mics especially for outdoor? Like, they can get wet and not break? :hihi:

Weren't you discussing synths? These usually are connected to line inputs, not mic inputs.
more monophonic
It is either monophonic or stereophonic. Is there any difference in left & right?

It can be "pilot error" in the connection. How exactly have you connected it? What sort of cables? Which outputs go to which inputs?

It also can be "pilot error" in daw software. Are you recording to a mono channel maybe?

Can you do a test with a sound only left or right from the synth, and watch the daw meters how it arrives there?

Actually, there's a test suite for you:
http://audio.rightmark.org/products/rmaa.shtml
yeah, i already spected that something was wrong with these inputs, and yeah...i connected one cable, disconnected another...sounds same like connected both, did it with another cable - same..

about the Mit IN - is the MIC IN not means LINE IN? i thought it works universal

thnk you!

cheers
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

The Steinberg UR22 has two MIC/Line combination inputs, but still, how are you connecting the Krome to the UR22? Are you only connecting the L/Mono sum to one input of the UR22 or are you doing L/R to input 1 and 2 of the UR22? Are you using balanced cables? If you are only connected to input 2, is your High Z switch turned on or off?

khuzdul wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:52 am The Steinberg UR22 has two MIC/Line combination inputs, but still, how are you connecting the Krome to the UR22? Are you only connecting the L/Mono sum to one input of the UR22 or are you doing L/R to input 1 and 2 of the UR22? Are you using balanced cables? If you are only connected to input 2, is your High Z switch turned on or off?
SC Tricone Mk2 by Sommer Germany - both cables toccnectin to Input 1 and Input 2. Balanced. +48 hi-z on OFF.

NatLife wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:21 pm is the MIC IN not means LINE IN? i thought it works universal
Mic in tends to suggest a pre-amp in the signal path, line in would imply there isn't.
Normally you have a switch to change modes, but the UR22 does it a different way.

Taken from the manual.
-----------------------------------------
[MIC/LINE 1] jack/[PEAK] indicator
For connection to a microphone or digital
instrument. This jack can be connected to both
XLR-type and phone-type (balanced/
unbalanced) plugs. When connected to an XLRtype plug, this jack automatically switches to
microphone input sensitivity, and when
connected to a phone-type plug, it switches to
line input sensitivity
-----------------------------------------

Are you connecting via jack or XLR?
To be fair, none of the above really explains things going mono as in the original post, but it answers the secondary question of what's the difference in mic/line connections.

If I understand the UR22 manual correctly, (I don't use this interface myself), the inputs are mixed as mono when sent directly to the outputs. As you say that when you recorded the output in FL Studio it sounded as you expected when played it back, this seem to support this.

To monitor your inputs in stereo, set up your FL Studio to record a stereo track from the UR22 and set it up to monitor the recorded signal. Set the MIX knob on the UR22 fully to the DAW position so you only hear the audio that has come through FL Studio. (I don't use FL Studio so you may have to consult the manual on how to set up monitoring of a recorded enabled track.)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”