Soundtoys 6 - What would you like to see?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jbarish wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:02 am I own all the SoundToys plugs. I love how they sound except that they do alias quite a bit because they have no oversampling Oversampling is one way to deal with aliasing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic4bVbXfdW4
Could you possibly explain how to reproduce this????? I use Echoboy quite often and I don't understand.

Alias Smith & Jones

jbarish wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:02 am I own all the SoundToys plugs. I love how they sound except that they do alias quite a bit because they have no oversampling Oversampling is one way to deal with aliasing.
Do you have confirmation from Soundtoys that oversampling is not used in their products? I very much doubt that that is correct. Distortion/dynamics processors typically use oversampling internally.

It's true - I have a few (analog) hardware amps that also have no oversampling and they alias in a similar way!
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

A compressor in the rack would be fantastic. But highest on the list is larger UIs.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

jens wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:35 pm It's true - I have a few (analog) hardware amps that also have no oversampling and they alias in a similar way!
Tell me about it! Marshalls are a total bitch in that way. They have all these aliases now like Park and Freidman and Bogner and Fargen ... it just goes on and on.

Very old request though:
Many parameters can't be automated, mostly in advanced (tweak) panels, but in FilterFreak it's also main envelope section (not in tweak panel). Similar situation in Echoboy, etc
Would be good improve this.

egbert wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:04 am
Do you have confirmation from Soundtoys that oversampling is not used in their products? I very much doubt that that is correct. Distortion/dynamics processors typically use oversampling internally.
If you doubt me, simply ask them. They don't use oversampling or any other method to counter their plugs aliasing.

All Soundtoys plugins which can saturate alias, even Echoboy when using heavy saturation and Decapitator is king at it. Thats why I would also like to see oversampling implemented in v6. When soundtoys was released like 10-15 year ago, cpus were much slower so all plugins from that era by default have no oversampling. Otherwise, Soundtoys stood the test of time, excellent plugins but its time to catch up with 2019/2020.

jbarish wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:02 pm
egbert wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:04 am
If you doubt me, simply ask them. They don't use oversampling or any other method to counter their plugs aliasing.
And you know this, how?

Here's Eric Klein who now directs Yamaha Guitar group and has overseen the development of the Helix products at Line6. As he makes clear, oversampling (like 16x) is critical for some processes - distortion generators like tube amplifiers - and wasted cycles for others.

I'd like them to be start being more like Waves and add something like Waves Update Plan. So I guess it would be called SUP.
No signature here!

I know the SoundToys plugs alias because I have ears. If you don't hear aliasing when you use them, then good on you. Enjoy. I have no interest in trying to prove the existence of aliasing to anyone.

I never said there was no aliasing. I was just curious as to your knowledge or guesswork wrt the lack of oversampling. My first thought was Decapitator - surely a saturation plugin which supports 192 kHz would employ oversampling at 44.1/48 kHz. People like Aleksey Vaneev of Voxengo and the PSP guys do so in their plugins.

Seems like Decapitator has pretty bad aliasing at 44.1 kHz (at the time of publication of this article, at least)

robotmonkey wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:44 am I'd like them to be start being more like Waves and add something like Waves Update Plan. So I guess it would be called SUP.
I would abbreviate SoundToys as ST. So that would make the plan STUP. And in order to renew it, you’ll need your STUP-ID. Luckily, prices at retailers are lower than direct.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

„I was wondering what other users would like to see?“

A bundle price of 100$ for new customers.

Return to “Effects”