What is the best external ssd for around 100 or less?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Man, the internal 750GB drive on here was like 500 bucks when I built this back in the day :cry:

Samsung is on my boycott forever -list. Disgusting piece of shit company who will never sell me a single product again.

I bought 1tb Kingston ssd for 99€ and I'm happy with it.

Here's a thought, if your machine isn't a laptop. Take the side off, attach the SSD to the innards, and let it be a temporary additional internal drive (obviously not applicable to Macs). 120GB SSDs cost under £20 these days, so you could get new ones as and when you need them, maybe one an album or whatever.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

I second the Samsung T5 being a great choice (for the price and performance). I have one along with the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD. I like the ruggedness of the SanDisk more to the aluminum of the T5 but there have been more reliability issues with SanDisk. I work in IT/AV and I've used the Samsung without issue on several different Mac's, PC's, servers, you name it. Only caveat was that the USB-C to USB-C cable connection didn't recognize on some of the PC's, but they include a USB-C to USB-A 3.0 cable as well and that works fine. All this said though, I can sympathize with Distorted's post, their customer support can be really bad at times, but the experience varies. Additionally, I've used multiple cheap enclosures with 2.5 inch SSD drives (several generations) and just can't recommend it as a good value given the price of the T5's.

Can't see the point in an external enclosure. I've got two of these handy gadgets.

https://www.ebuyer.com/620400-startech- ... b3s2sat3cb
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Hello,

I have 3 T5s and they all work great, fast performance and reliable. SSDs work best when paired with an internal SSD (nvme internal ssds are the best right now i believe) keep that in mind. I bought them through Amazon. I have researched SSDs a lot before buying them, even recently my sample library got quite big so I had to get a 2 TB SSD and the T5 is still the best according to every tech site i have visited. Something odd is that if you have two of them side by side, they will shut down i do not know why, but just an FYI :P

They go on sale frequently for a cheaper price, so its always good to keep an eye out. More so now with holiday shopping coming in a few months.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”