What do you think of the DAW market right now and for 2020?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machinesworking wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:40 pm
JJ_Jettflow wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:16 pm I could see NI making Mashine into a DAW..most likely proprietary but I think it is more feasible than Izotope or Spectrasonics.
Maschine already uses AU and VST plug ins, so it would hardly be proprietary in the bigger sense anyway. :)

I'm all for it, if NI secretly was developing Maschine into a real full fledged DAW I think it would successfully compete with soft/hardware solutions like MPC and Force. AKIAI are doing great things, but they're splitting the "DAW" away from the workstation sequencer in a way by this distinction.
NI fix their song timeline into a real linear sequencer with multiple time signatures, tempo changes, hosts audio tracks, and hosts their Patterns and incorporated Scenes in a logical way, and it's a real winner. It almost sounds like a modern take on Opcode Studio Vision married to an MPC! 8)
I was thinking hardware-wise. You know, having to own Mashine to use it. Don't get me wrong, nothing the matter with NI hardware at all, seeing I own an S61 Mark II. :)

AFAIK, it is not sold separately.

It's kind of odd to argue about which DAW is 'better' as there is so much varied music being made by people. The DAW a person chooses is probably the one that fits there workflow best, so another person's opinion on that should count for very little (unless it's constructive advice when they ask a question).

Anyway, we all know that opinions are like assholes - neither of them is a very good solution for a DAW.

All other DAWs are massively uninteresting since using Bitwig.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:39 pm All other DAWs are massively uninteresting since using Bitwig.
What about Reaper?

Forgotten wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:40 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:39 pm All other DAWs are massively uninteresting since using Bitwig.
What about Reaper?
cults
the two of 'em.

vurt wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:42 pm
What about Reaper?
cults
the two of 'em.
:lol:

Benny would be proud of you! :hihi:

:hihi:

JJ_Jettflow wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:33 pm
machinesworking wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:40 pm
JJ_Jettflow wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:16 pm I could see NI making Mashine into a DAW..most likely proprietary but I think it is more feasible than Izotope or Spectrasonics.
Maschine already uses AU and VST plug ins, so it would hardly be proprietary in the bigger sense anyway. :)

I'm all for it, if NI secretly was developing Maschine into a real full fledged DAW I think it would successfully compete with soft/hardware solutions like MPC and Force. AKIAI are doing great things, but they're splitting the "DAW" away from the workstation sequencer in a way by this distinction.
NI fix their song timeline into a real linear sequencer with multiple time signatures, tempo changes, hosts audio tracks, and hosts their Patterns and incorporated Scenes in a logical way, and it's a real winner. It almost sounds like a modern take on Opcode Studio Vision married to an MPC! 8)
I was thinking hardware-wise. You know, having to own Mashine to use it. Don't get me wrong, nothing the matter with NI hardware at all, seeing I own an S61 Mark II. :)

AFAIK, it is not sold separately.
Yeah that would be the next step, to separate the software from the hardware if people wanted.
I try not to wish for more than can be expected from NI though, they're at that mega corporation level in terms of movement when it comes to audio software developers. They will do great things, but it won't be on any timeline you thin it will be and certain moves will be confusing.

If I ruled NI I would definitely think about making Maschine a DAW though, and resizable GUIS would have happened already.. What will happen is more expansion packs for sure.

stearine wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:43 pm Thank you s for the clarification guys.

Can we get to the root of this problem next:

Steinberg Cubase
Image-Line FLStudio
PreSonus Studio One
Ableton Live :x
Cockos REAPER
Tracktion Waveform
Propellerhead Reason

Why, people? Why?

As a counter-measure I suggest we start applying the same convention to every other DAW, e.g. "I quite like the MIDI editing facilities in Steinberg, they are far superior to Cockos for instance." and we don't stop until total annihilation.
I have the wonderful opportunity to discuss DAWs with a lot of people (1000s) and a surprising number of people call Cubase "Steinberg" or call Studio One "Presonus".

However, calling Waveform "Tracktion" is very common. Most folks I know that use Waveform still refer to it as Tracktion.

At least we call agree on Bitwig :phones: :party:

What about Reaper?
cults
the two of 'em.
They look like minor offshoots of major religions compared to Renoise users. SAWStudio users (they still exist!) are yet another level beyond Renoise.

Just wait till your software has no updates in nearly 5 years and see. That's when the REAL DAW cults separate the men from the boys.

(gatekeeping DAW cults is surprisingly fun!)

stearine wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:50 pm Could anybody be so kind and tell me what is this "linear" way of working, or type of DAW? Please don't hurt me, I ain't looking for trouble.
You just took me back to an old American western movie. :lol:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Orbit-50 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:13 pm
stearine wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:50 pm Could anybody be so kind and tell me what is this "linear" way of working, or type of DAW? Please don't hurt me, I ain't looking for trouble.
Could easily have been followed by "You new in town boy?" :hihi:

Forgotten wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:35 pm It's kind of odd to argue about which DAW is 'better' as there is so much varied music being made by people. The DAW a person chooses is probably the one that fits there workflow best, so another person's opinion on that should count for very little (unless it's constructive advice when they ask a question).

Anyway, we all know that opinions are like assholes - neither of them is a very good solution for a DAW.
Going back to something said earlier, the title is fitting because I think as a whole DAW's are the best they've ever been. I expect more of the same as they've grown, but again, I'm happy with what I have. If it never changed it's still a doable workable DAW that really does everything I need.

Oh, I want more :hihi: But I've lived through DAW purgatory, I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.

Forgotten wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:15 pm
Orbit-50 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:13 pm
Could easily have been followed by "You new in town boy?" :hihi:
:lol:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Robert Randolph wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:01 pm
What about Reaper?
cults
the two of 'em.
They look like minor offshoots of major religions compared to Renoise users. SAWStudio users (they still exist!) are yet another level beyond Renoise.

Just wait till your software has no updates in nearly 5 years and see. That's when the REAL DAW cults separate the men from the boys.

(gatekeeping DAW cults is surprisingly fun!)
nah they're more occult societies, they dont turn up everywhere trying to force their daw on you like a proper cult.

hi, im looking for a budget pair of monitors.

have you tried reaper?

bitwigs grid is a superior monitoring system.

forking cults.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”