Best cheap DAW for midifx, algorithmic midi etc?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
fairlyclose
KVRist
57 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:23 pm

inkwarp wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:20 pm
re: Loomer Architect
no examples yet. which makes it impossible to get across for me.. it looks like you need to pe a programmer to use it, not a musician...
same - but for me I have done a bit, not a lot, of scripting in other languages but I am not looking to do that when I want to make some music. Feels a bit like wanting to play guitar but having to first grow the tree, mill the wood etc etc. If there were higher level modules, it would be great, but they could be many years away and I haven't yet found any simple repository site where people are sharing their own modules.

yellowmix
KVRian
1234 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Re: Best cheap DAW for midifx, algorithmic midi etc?

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:29 pm

fairlyclose wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:09 pm
RandArp crashes with automation, Harvest crashes, Kontakt hangs, midibot crashes on live input. All have problems with notes hanging.
Consider running them as dedicated processes so when they crash they don't take the whole DAW down with them. I run Kontakt as a dedicated process so it can hog as much memory as it wants as well.

fairlyclose
KVRist
57 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:45 pm

yellowmix wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:29 pm
fairlyclose wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:09 pm
RandArp crashes with automation, Harvest crashes, Kontakt hangs, midibot crashes on live input. All have problems with notes hanging.
Consider running them as dedicated processes so when they crash they don't take the whole DAW down with them. I run Kontakt as a dedicated process so it can hog as much memory as it wants as well.
thanks, that is often recommended and I have done that - still unstable. RandArp is particularly disappointing as it is such a powerful little utility when automated and used in between other midifx. The dev has noted the problems with Reaper
"v1.35 Fixed yet another Reaper crash issue."

experimental.crow
KVRAF
5945 posts since 9 Mar, 2003 from The Druid Hills

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:56 pm

tatanka
KVRian
1153 posts since 13 Jan, 2014

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:10 pm

As I am done with Tracktion/Waveform (+ 1 for trying the free T 7 and see if it fits you needs) cause I simply dont want to support the way it goes and the prize policy I would throw in Mixcraft 8 Pro.

Lot of sales, I think if your are looking for it and for some upgrading pathes you will get it for 50 bucks.

It still is strange in some ways in case of workflow (kind of crippled mix up of the "routing-to-another-track" thinking I hate from Cubase and so on and the easy "put-anything-on-the-track-we-care I love from Tracktion/Mulab) but you will get all the important arps/sequencers/midi-composers/generative stuff to work in some way.

Even Captain plugins are working (not 100 % but all thats important for me at least). The forum is responsive, the support in the forum from Greg is responsive (if you dont expect "in 24 hours premium support"), and, great encore, 32 bit plugins working, so all that great generative stuff from HG Fortune for example is working (in general...).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”