Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

pekbro wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:34 am Collecting modular or other hardware is only an illness if one does so without actually
being able to afford it. Many of my friends will spend an easy 5 grand on a week in
Vegas or something. I might buy a bunch of hardware with that personally.
How can anyone say which is more frivolous with any semblance of credibility.
Yeah. This was always bugging me. Lots of people point out to me how I'm spending money on DAWs and VSTs and how poor they are, but they blow the same money every week on alcohol, drugs, etc. Priorities, I guess? :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

absolutely yes. better are DAWs and VSTs AND alcohol, drugs, etc. Priorities live. only joke, a little from all them is superb. a good daw, good plugins and glass of wine with some good music... everything OK.

Stefken wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:28 pm
sacer wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:21 am The MRB Bundle seems to sound HQ compared to vult and cherry audio
So it would seem. Just changing the VCA to the MRB VCA already gives more oumph.

(It's just that this product is such a rabbithole).
Really liking this MRB stuff and it plays nicely with Vult too.

I just made this didgeridoo sound combining them. :lol:
Didgy

MRB is also nice for sounds that have a Vince Clarke vibe to it.
It works nicely for acid too.
I thing I'm going to have fun with this.

antic604 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:06 am Lots of people point out to me how I'm spending money on DAWs and VSTs and how poor they are, but they blow the same money every week on alcohol, drugs, etc. Priorities, I guess? :)

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.”

― WC Fields

ok... just picked up the TB Vintage Bundle as well.

But that's IT, for today... :P

FML :clown:

Gribs wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:02 pm Do I really want to go down this rabbit hole? Why am I even asking you guys? It is like asking my Shelties if I really want to make some bacon or open a package of cheese.

What does VM offer that is not offered by Reaktor and Softube Modular? What makes it unique?
I'm super biased because I'm an employee (I designed many of the modules), but the quick answer is, better UI resulting in much faster and easier sound creation/modification. Reaktor is the instrument I've had for years and always wanted to love, but it was such a pain to dig into (and store presets) that I always found it frustrating. If you can use a hardware modular, the learning curve of Voltage Modular will be almost zero. Specifically, arranging modules (or groups of modules), adding module/browsing modules, multing cables, routing audio back and forth to host, the list goes on and on. No back panel, no hidden controls, just cables and CV, like a real modular.

VM was not created in a vacuum, we very specifically set out to vastly improve the user experience over existing software modulars. It just does what you want it to do, fast. And sounds great. And has a zillion modules. And does poly easily. And has many, many creative ways to route audio and MIDI in and out. And lets you load/host almost any third-party VI or effect (with the Plug-In Host module) AND assign numerous parameters of the those instruments and effects to be voltage-controlled... and... and... :)

pekbro wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:14 am Well my modular synth is cruising at near $7000.00 So the software route is still considerably more affordable. I remain at about $200 for cherry VM. Although I am unlikely to spend any further on software tbh.
I was joking with Dan the other day (one of the VM coding geniuses) that free Voltage Nucleus has more modules and does more than my entire 5U modular, which I'm probably into around $3K by now. :tu:

cherryMitch wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:40 pm VM was not created in a vacuum, we very specifically set out to vastly improve the user experience over existing software modulars.
As somebody with Softube Modular and Cherry Modular I can fully agree. It is much more fun to build patches in Voltage and therefore I built more on this platform. Soundwise they're both very good. Softube Modular has the advantage when it comes to very advanced modules like the ones from Mutable Instruments. Voltage has so many ergonomic features it is for me much more intuitive to build patches.

progtronic wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:22 pm ok... just picked up the TB Vintage Bundle as well.

But that's IT, for today... :P

FML :clown:
:lol:

I actually wasn’t too excited about the 303 bundle. I did pick up the MS-20 one though, mostly for the external signal processor. That’s always been my favorite part of the real hardware. A very glitch PLL module that can trash anything you feed into it in amusing ways.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

"I did pick up the MS-20 one though, mostly for the external signal processor."

Cool—hadn't spotted that one, thank you!

This is what that thing does. :)

https://youtu.be/Dxl_ZQezVAw

Thanks!

Artie Fichelle wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:40 pm still no microtuning?
Any modular synthesizer can do microtuning if you use an Attenuverter or VCA module to attenuate the CV signal, so that instead of 12 tones per octave, you can achieve many more tones per octave. What would you like to see in a microtuning modules? A selectable number of notes per octave? We'd certainly consider building one!

Dan @ Cherry Audio
Last edited by cherryDan on Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antic604 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:19 pm You could probably increase that number with few dozens (or hundreds) more, if it worked in Reason on Windows. What's the status there? You said you'd do a workaround if Propellerhead refused to fix things on their side. So are you doing it, or waiting for Props?
Unfortunately Voltage Modular isn't compatible with Reason on Windows because of a bug in Reason that we can't work around. Simply put, Reason detects that Voltage Modular has crashed when it hasn't, and due to the complexity of Voltage Modular's cross-platform module system, there isn't anything we can do about it.

We've informed Propellerheads and their developers of the issue at length. We've considered doing a "workaround" but it would involve moving all of the module processing into a separate process, which would make Voltage Modular less efficient for everyone. Since Windows Reason users make up a pretty small segment of the population, we're just not willing to make Voltage Modular less efficient and more error-prone just to work around an issue that Propellerheads could easily resolve. It's unfortunate, but we're hopeful that the new release of Reason will solve this.

Dan @ Cherry Audio

cherryDan wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:59 pm
antic604 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:19 pm You could probably increase that number with few dozens (or hundreds) more, if it worked in Reason on Windows. What's the status there? You said you'd do a workaround if Propellerhead refused to fix things on their side. So are you doing it, or waiting for Props?
Unfortunately Voltage Modular isn't compatible with Reason on Windows because of a bug in Reason that we can't work around. Simply put, Reason detects that Voltage Modular has crashed when it hasn't, and due to the complexity of Voltage Modular's cross-platform module system, there isn't anything we can do about it.

We've informed Propellerheads and their developers of the issue at length. We've considered doing a "workaround" but it would involve moving all of the module processing into a separate process, which would make Voltage Modular less efficient for everyone. Since Windows Reason users make up a pretty small segment of the population, we're just not willing to make Voltage Modular less efficient and more error-prone just to work around an issue that Propellerheads could easily resolve. It's unfortunate, but we're hopeful that the new release of Reason will solve this.

Dan @ Cherry Audio
Thanks for the update :tu:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Instruments”