Available now: Tone2 Icarus2.5 - Wavetable Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:51 am I will add several additional 'morph modes' to the distortion section (Noise, Am, Ringmod, etc). Icarus can route the OSCs individually withing the filter/distortion section. As a result you will get 2 additional modulation possibilities on top without messing up the GUI layout.
I like this approach! Since the filters are 'per voice' as well, lots of fun stuff can be done this way as well! :tu:

@markus
You should check the preset on
Arpeggiator-hard dance arp 2 mf
Its really cliping when you are playing with the filter.
Sound really bad.

Step Lfo modulating Cutoff brings nasty pops as well.
The average bored guy

Every IIR filter has a phase response with a phase shift. If you rapidly change the cutoff you will also rapidly delay certain frequencies. The effect becomes more obvious if you change the cutoff over a very large range. This results in a Plop-sound. Especially 'digital' IIR types like the biquad filter types (LP digital) are sensitive for this. Other types like butterworth (LP butter) are less sensitive and have a more flat phase response.
The step-lfo has a smooth parameter to limit rapid value changes. Use this one.

The lowpass in the osc section (select it as a morph-mode) is a digital filter without a phase shift. Use this one if you want to achieve extreme cutoff jumps with the step lfo or any rectangular lfo-shape

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:44 am Every IIR filter has a phase response with a phase shift. If you rapidly change the cutoff you will also rapidly delay certain frequencies. The effect becomes more obvious if you change the cutoff over a very large range. This results in a Plop-sound. Especially 'digital' IIR types like the biquad filter types (LP digital) are sensitive for this. Other types like butterworth (LP butter) are less sensitive and have a more flat phase response.

The lowpass in the osc section (select it as a morph-mode) is a digital filter without a phase shift. Use this one if you want to achieve extreme cutoff jumps with the step lfo or any rectangular lfo-shape
Ill check it.
Any plans for Saurus 3.
I saw the current version is 2.5.
I missed the answer about nks . why there isn't nks on Tone2 plugins?

NKS support is available here from.a 3rd party supplier:

https://freelancesoundlabs.com/index.ph ... /111-tone2

We did not jump onto the NKS train, because the contract conditions from Native Instruments were very 'one-sided'.

There are no plans for Saurus3

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:51 am I will add several additional 'morph modes' to the distortion section (Noise, Am, Ringmod, etc). Icarus can route the OSCs individually withing the filter/distortion section. As a result you will get 2 additional modulation possibilities on top without messing up the GUI layout.
I greatly appreciate you being so open to suggestions. Thank you.

Are you planning on adding any new or revamped resynthesis modes to Icarus? Any sound quality updates?

Awesome, that's a really great idea! :D Thanks for being so open for user input!

pdxindy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 pm Both subjects are on topic because they are both pertinent to I2 :)
Yeah, it seems like it :D
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:44 am Every IIR filter has a phase response with a phase shift. If you rapidly change the cutoff you will also rapidly delay certain frequencies. The effect becomes more obvious if you change the cutoff over a very large range. This results in a Plop-sound. Especially 'digital' IIR types like the biquad filter types (LP digital) are sensitive for this. Other types like butterworth (LP butter) are less sensitive and have a more flat phase response.

it wasn't the filter.
the RET in the ENV was off.
now its sounds AWESOME, Like it should be for this synth.

This synth is next on my buy list. I demo tested it the other day and loved the sound of it and the face that version 2 is coming seals the deal for me.

bellsworth wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:33 pm Are you planning on adding any new or revamped resynthesis modes to Icarus? Any sound quality updates?
I you take a look at our recent releases you will notice that nearly all our updates contain enhancements in sound quality. We constantly enhance our algorithms. I will post more details soon.

With the help of the MSEGs it is possible to resynthesize the pitch of sounds and melodies with a higher precision than the step lfo.

Markus Krause wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:25 am
bellsworth wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:33 pm Are you planning on adding any new or revamped resynthesis modes to Icarus? Any sound quality updates?
I you take a look at our recent releases you will notice that nearly all our updates contain enhancements in sound quality. We constantly enhance our algorithms. I will post more details soon.

With the help of the MSEGs it is possible to resynthesize the pitch of sounds and melodies with a higher precision than the step lfo.
Very nice!

A status update on the development:

I updated the first page with the most recent info. Everything that you can read there is already finished and working.
The Glitch-Sequencer is also finished now.
I am currently working on the Drum-Sequencer.

Dont know if already mentioned, but as I read "Drum-Sequencer", one thing I often miss in synths (the good old Octopus from Linplug being one of the rare exceptions) is a useable load of presets for the arp/sequencers to get you started. So would really be great if this could be included in upcoming version.

Return to “Instruments”