Mackie MCU and XT in Cubase 10 Pro environment

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,

My post is chasing some info on a possible solution to updating a MkI MCU with the newer MCU Pro firmware, to try and make my MCU and XT + C4 functional in the Cubase 10 Pro environment;

Context below, followed by my questions:

Previously had Mackie MCU and XT plus C4 connected and working effectively in a Cubase 6 Pro environment on PC;
Recently moved to a Mac-based studio and had to jump through all of the software compatibility and OS extortion hoops, to finally land at what seemed to be a solid operating environment - MCU +XT connected via MOTU micro express, with Cubase 6 Pro as host DAW on macOS Sierra 10.12.6;

Then, very shortly after updating the Arturia Instruments' host licence and version manager software (as the only discernible update to my system), Cubase 6 Pro began to operate unstably, crashing after opening any VST within the program; Then C6 Pro started crashing simply after 4 - 5 minutes of on time - I tested all of the instruments, templates and configurations, but I cannot hack and re-program, so my options were limited;

I bit the bullet and paid out for a crossgrade to Cubase 10 Pro, and re-set up all of the connections, with MCU, XT and C4 connected to Cubase 10 Pro via MOTU micro express - when I hit "Apply"...
"Something" happened, however the MCU failed to initialise when adding the remote device - the Master fader stuck at the upper extent of the fader travel, and continually trying to move upwards;
Information came up on the Mackie LCD scribblestrip screen, saying "Warning Fader is out of calibration - contact Mackie" However, power cycling the MCU does not return the same message, when NOT connected to Cubase 10 Pro - indicating it is software which is causing the incompatibility.

The Mackie XT has no fader calibration warning but is equally unresponsive in the Cubase 10 Pro environment; I know it is an older unit now, see Q's below...
As for the C4 (added as Mackie Control remote) also seemingly does nothing in Cubase 10 Pro, but I've not played with this further, it may simply become a generic MIDI device for VST's if the scribble strips can be made to function…

Basically Cubase 10 Pro makes some sort of remote connection, but only manages to display gobbledegook on the MCU SMPTE/Timing display, and the MCU scribblestrip display locks up showing "Page 1 of 2 Pan" for no identifiable channel; the MCU does not illuminate rotary pan pot positions etc, buttons are all unresponsive and simply cannot trigger any discernible movement (or visible MIDI messages in the transport bar) in the C10 Pro program;

The MIDI messages are definitely received at MOTU micro express, shown on the front panel - I've even recreated the physical routings in mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 AudioMIDI Setup Utility - no change in Cubase 10 Pro;

So, whilst this all speaks very strongly of planned obsolescence via persistent software versioning and "upgrades" that turn perfectly good bits of hardware into paperweights to encourage further software purchases - HOWEVER - pending the source info for the Mackie MCU MkI versus MkII, (and I have trawled for a few days now), the hardware within the (MkII) MCU Pro, XT Pro and C4 Pro (later white metallic bodied replacements) are identical to the original MCU, XT and C4 grey bodied models - except for the USB and additional MIDI ports on the MkII - this info is cited by Mackie, Sound on Sound reviewers, and many other review sites - so given the context above, my questions are:

Is the MCU Protocol (i.e. the integrated language) identical in the MCU and MCU Pro?
If so, can I update an MCU with the latest MCU Pro firmware?
Has anyone tried to update a MkI MCU with the later MCU Pro model firmware?

I have 2 x Mk1 MCUs, an XT and a C4 - am keen to at least try and update the firmware in one of them to see what happens, but I'd like to hear if anyone has tried/achieved or failed and made a nice looking paperweight… :)

I've purchased an MCU Pro and 2 x XTs in the interim, in case the above doesn't work, but I am interested as to how and why it "wouldn't" work, IF the hardware and MCU protocol is identical?

Thanks for reading, hoping for some charitable knowledge to flow my way :)
Cheers
Bobby

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”