TB-303 Emulators

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I'm looking for recommendations for a 303 emulator. Ideally a free one :)

I've used FreeBee, Venom, Creakbox and Rubberduck so far, all with varying degrees of success.

I'm especially looking for one which can allow me to program irregular step patterns (anything other than 4,8 or 16) and is fairly easy to program. Venom is the only one I've encountered that will allow me to do this but I find it an absolute nightmare to program properly. The other 3 are more user friendly but they don't have this capacity. :(

I would appreciate any guidance on this at all.

Thanks

Audio realism ABl 3
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Yeah. Or get D16 Phoscyon on a sale. Might not be the ultra mega end it all emulation, but, sounds fine to me.

On https://www.acidvoice.com/index.htm you have a whole bunch listed up.
You can hear demo sounds of all of them so you can compare sounds directly on this site.
Happy hunting.

Yep, that's a cool site. Bookmarked it some years ago.

Funny how almost all of the VST clones once again miss that typical analog "click" at the start of the sound. It's something i really always notice, no matter what software is trying to emulate. See the explanation here: viewtopic.php?p=6471754#p6471754

Best listen with headphones, it's more apparent then.

Looks like that site isn't updated anymore, can't find anything about the Roland Cloud TB-303 on there. I tried it when it was just released (because Roland reset all trials) and it sounded pretty good to my ears.
But it was quite buggy and not even working or recognized in some hosts. Has there been an update for it yet?

roland support told me me in an email that they had no intention of fixing it in other hosts. I couldn't believe it, but there it is!

I went on a journey to find the best 303 plugin a little while back. Wrote about all the stuff I tried - there is a big thread on it here if you search for it!

The upshot was that Phoscyon was my favourite. I tried to buy ABL3 off someone in the market place, but they didn't get back to me for some reason. You can get it quite a bit cheaper there than buying new. They do come up from time to time. About 50 quid or so.

I'll probably pick one up when I find one myself, but for now, I'm super happy with Phoscyon. I've probably listened to more 303 than is good for any sane man and it sounds identical to me. Remember, you'll be putting it through delays and distortions as well. Even the ABL3 sounds a bit flat and lifeless on its own.

One really great and free emulation is by Signaldust - Dolphin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiNJgkeQDa8

It's only meant to be an 'inspired by' sort of plugin, not a strict emulation, but it really stood out for me among the rest.

Try to find that other thread, there is a load more information there that doesn't need repeating...

In the meantime, have a serious look at Phoscyon - it really cuts the mustard.

Another free one, originally part of KVR's Developer Challenge 2016.

https://yoozmusic.com/yooz-bl-303/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s4T4CCDD_s

Reefius wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:12 pm Looks like that site isn't updated anymore, can't find anything about the Roland Cloud TB-303 on there. I tried it when it was just released (because Roland reset all trials) and it sounded pretty good to my ears.
But it was quite buggy and not even working or recognized in some hosts. Has there been an update for it yet?
No there hasn't been an update to the Roland 303. They basically said they test with 3 hosts, I think Logic, Cubase and something else, and they "can't test with all hosts". For me it's showing up in Bitwig but not Maschine.

The thing is : for all the vst alternatives I have tried (free and not free), the Roland (cloud) TB-303 gave the best experience, and the sequencer of the vst is actually better than the hardware imo.
Just that cloudthing I don't like very much...

Audiorealism ABL3 is the last and final word in TB-303 emulation softsynths. Nothing can touch it.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:10 am Audiorealism ABL3 is the last and final word in TB-303 emulation softsynths. Nothing can touch it.
Doubt it. There's never been a last and final word in emulating other synths in the past. Just look at Diva -> Monark/Legend.

Also, if you listen closely to the comparison here: https://www.acidvoice.com/tb_303_vst_pl ... ftware.htm Where's the transient click the real thing has? Once again about any soft synth emulation fails to model that. It's a detail, but, it's prety apparent when you listen on headphones (and, frankly, i wonder why many devs miss stuff like that).

more at ppl hear clicks as a fault. Ask any dev and they will tell you, thats why they smooth it out.

also, my 303's didnt have any clicks

Yeah, but... that sucks. Bring on the clicks. Vital part of the sound. :P
AnX wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:39 am also, my 303's didnt have any clicks
Hmm... might differ from machine to machine then? (Although i'm doubtful) I definitely can hear a click in the attack phase in the examples from the Acid Voice page. And on most of the other analogs i heard in person (Jupiter-8) or in sound demos.

Return to “Instruments”