Can anyone recommend SampleRobot, or Samplit (or suggest another semi-automatic sampler) ... ?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chickeneps wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:39 pm First, Auto-loooping is a "black art"
I think I am realising that I'll have to check the looping.
You have three products that pertain to getting samples into Kontakt, its not clear which one would be best suited to someone like me, who wants to automate as much as possible the placing of samples into Kontakt, scripting, velocity layers, multi-mic positions etc.
You've got Translator, Constructor, and Kontakt Assistant (although the latter looks like its for managing existing K instruments).
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

Apple MainStage is just 30 bucks and includes "Autosampler". Works like a charme and has the usual simple Apple style interface. Fine tune in EXS24 and import your patches into Kontakt for further tweaks.
https://macprovideo.com/article/audio-s ... -logic-pro
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -mainstage
Besides that SampleRobot is the only serious auto sampling tool on the market right now imho. Especially in terms of smooth (auto) looping. The Chickensys GUI is simply an insult to the user. Samplit is no longer in developed and causes too many problems for serious work.

steve.lindqvist wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:40 pm Besides that SampleRobot is the only serious auto sampling tool on the market right now imho. Especially in terms of smooth (auto) looping. The Chickensys GUI is simply an insult to the user. Samplit is no longer in developed and causes too many problems for serious work.
I'm in Windows, Reaper. I think Reaper will do the autosampling better than Samplerobot etc (because I want to do my own method of prompting for semi-automatic - tone & voice), but its the automating of the workflow in Kontakt I'm interested in. SampleRobot, the Pro version, is the one that looks most useful, but there's not many tutorials on it, so I am having to find out about it.
From what I can see, its somewhat overpriced, by about $100. I don't care about the extra sounds Pro has, - I want to make my own sounds. 8)

MasterTuner wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:23 pm You have three products that pertain to getting samples into Kontakt, its not clear which one would be best suited to someone like me, who wants to automate as much as possible the placing of samples into Kontakt, scripting, velocity layers, multi-mic positions etc. You've got Translator, Constructor, and Kontakt Assistant (although the latter looks like its for managing existing K instruments).
As I understand it, you are already committed to creating the WAVE files using Reaper, so this isn't really a AutoSampler question but a mapping editor question. All AutoSamplers "create+map" but do not "map" already-created WAVE files AFAIK. Even our AutoSampler.

So the Chizard in Constructor is the primary mapping tool I was referring to. KA doesn't map anything. Translator does map stuff but is not as flexible as Constructor, it won't deal with velocity ranges unless you embed the ley/vel ranges in each sample file. Doing that is impossible AFAIK, I know of no tool or sample editor that allows you to do that.

And on a free solution, consider learning to write SFZ, a textual format anyone can type in using TextEdit or WordPad. You can map things out by hand easily, then load that into Kontakt, because Kontakt loads SFZ (not Kontakt 6, boo...). It's not "automatic", but if you are naming your sample files in a logical fashion, some strategic copy-paste goes a long way.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com
http://www.chickensys.com

chickeneps wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:04 pm it won't deal with velocity ranges unless you embed the ley/vel ranges in each sample file. Doing that is impossible AFAIK, I know of no tool or sample editor that allows you to do that.
I thought that Kontakt could discern velocity layers based on how you name the WAV file. If you indicate the velocity level in the filename, then Kontakt can pick that up when importing. Is that right?

You're right, I had never used it, but that may be an excellent solution. It's like a mini-Chizard, but it looks like it would do the trick for you.

It's all about the naming system. Set up your naming system so the "tokens" line up to what you program in Auto Setup, and it looks that would work well.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com

MasterTuner wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:02 pm
steve.lindqvist wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:40 pm Besides that SampleRobot is the only serious auto sampling tool on the market right now imho. Especially in terms of smooth (auto) looping. The Chickensys GUI is simply an insult to the user. Samplit is no longer in developed and causes too many problems for serious work.
I'm in Windows, Reaper. I think Reaper will do the autosampling better than Samplerobot etc (because I want to do my own method of prompting for semi-automatic - tone & voice), but its the automating of the workflow in Kontakt I'm interested in. SampleRobot, the Pro version, is the one that looks most useful, but there's not many tutorials on it, so I am having to find out about it.
From what I can see, its somewhat overpriced, by about $100. I don't care about the extra sounds Pro has, - I want to make my own sounds. 8)
No tutorials needed. SampleRobot is pretty much straight forward and also has short but informative manual. If you can handle Reaper, SampleRobot is a cakewalk.
Just try the demo and have a look into the manual: https://samplerobot.com/pages/support

chickeneps wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:04 pm And on a free solution, consider learning to write SFZ ... because Kontakt loads SFZ (not Kontakt 6, boo...). .
I do a lot of SFZ. :wink:
Capture the wave files.
Rename them w/Ant Renamer https://antp.be/software/renamer/download
according to the formats of Folder2SFZ https://vis.versilstudios.com/sfzconverter.html.
(examples: Accordian_036_031, Perc-Organ_A#3_v1)
Process the directories w/that.
Zoom - done.
(No experience w/Kontakt though...)

If you're planning to use Reaper for recording and cutting, Simon Dalzell has some great video tutorials on how to help automate the process-
https://www.youtube.com/user/IvyAudio/videos

Use a batch file renamer if necessary, such as renaming 'vl1' to '0_30' (so that Kontakt can read those as velocity values for lovel & hivel). I use one with macro and scripting functionality, so I can create a script which automatically converts vl values into velocity ranges, but you can also implement that in the tagging phase directly in Reaper if you don't need the files to be 'human readable'.

If you're not married to the idea of using Kontakt, then you might consider Christoph Hart's HISE, which has a very flexible automapper capable of accepting either labels or values, or my own SFZ automapper (mentioned above), which is completely customizeable in terms of what it can accept.

I have used Samplit for capturing some old hardware for personal use (it's great for MIDI-controlled devices like synths), but I haven't bothered using it for acoustic sampling. It's unexceptional, occasionally buggy, but worked acceptably for personal sampling projects.

Selling my SampleRobot Pro license (latest version) as I finished the project I bought it for: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=530665

MPC Software?

I use REAPER to do the recording and splitting. I made a project that plays each note, sent to the synth, another track set up to record it. Then regions can be automatically created, I use a script to name the regions to how Kontakt wants it, then REAPER can export them all out. I can drag them right into Kontakt and they arrange themselves since I named the files correctly. Then I use ChickenSys Translator to convert them to the other formats like SFZ (which I prefer, I just don't want to write the files by hand).

You need to do a lot of planning to save yourself headaches later. But you only need to plan once.

Next time I do it I think I'll try the ChickenSys Autosampler and see if I can skip using Kontakt.

steve.lindqvist wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:28 pm
MasterTuner wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:02 pm
No tutorials needed. SampleRobot is pretty much straight forward and also has short but informative manual. If you can handle Reaper, SampleRobot is a cakewalk.
Just try the demo and have a look into the manual: https://samplerobot.com/pages/support
I've tried them all and for me, SampleRobot is by far the worst. I had nothing but problems with it and had to ask for a refund.

As for Samplit, it works but it's buggy. Sometimes, it'll skip a note when auto-sampling. The auto-looping works most of the time, but not always. I still use it once in a while because for quick and dirty sampling, it does the job and it's easy to install on multiple computers.

In my experience, Chicken Systems Translator Autosampler works very well, the only "problem" is the GUI which looks outdated. I've had good results with it and it's probably the most competent and reliable auto-sampler. However, I haven't done any extensive work with it. It could have problems I overlooked.

Most of the time, I'll just use FL Studio and record/slice/normalize/looped all the samples there.

Chicken Systems Translator Autosampler works very well, the only "problem" is the GUI which looks outdated. I've had good results with it and it's probably the most competent and reliable auto-sampler.
There's a lot with a auto-sampler that relies on the sound drivers an how it's set up. Plus Windows is vastly more complicated and error-prone than Mac systems. So some of the YMMV may be related to that. Regardless, thanks for the kind Chicken Systems words; as for the oudated GUI, I think that can be tolerated? All it is is OS-standard checkbox/popupmenu/text fields/sliders/push-buttons etc. Maybe just call it "vintage"? =)
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com

chickeneps wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:40 pmMaybe just call it "vintage"? =)
What an excellent idea. That's how I'll refer to myself from now on! :)

I'm not outdated. I'm vintage! :wink:

And ladies, being single, I'm also collectible. :D

And please remember, one's value isn't determined by the size of one's GUI. :hihi:

I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”