One Synth Challenge #127: Any One u-he Synth (Carl_saved wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's gonna be a bombastic round! I don't own any paid u-he synths so I'm confused as to which free synth to use
:?: :?

Some recommendations would be really helpful! Good luck y'all!

I don't have modwheel or pitchwheel--would be nice, but keep at it.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Haha, think the problem is for how long I have made music with a proper keyboard (30+ years) and how it feels without it after such time. It's horrible.
But, alas, the little thing I've started with TyrellN6 fills me with joy, no doubt! :hyper: ...I really, really hope I'll get to make this track. :pray:

Taron wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:09 pm Haha, think the problem is for how long I have made music with a proper keyboard (30+ years) and how it feels without it after such time. It's horrible.
What happened to you keyboard if I may ask? I hope it's just a hardware problem not something with you left hand that prevents you from using the pitch and mod wheel. Although the latter somehow would also be a kind of hardware problem. :wink:
Taron wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:09 pm But, alas, the little thing I've started with TyrellN6 fills me with joy, no doubt! :hyper: ...I really, really hope I'll get to make this track. :pray:
Crossing my fingers that you will make it through and that we get to hear another masterpiece from you. Even if that means that I will be placed at least one more place towards the end of the field. :hihi: :wink:
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

Ahaha... :hug:
...never buy Akai! As sorry as I am to having to say that, but that's likely been the biggest let down of any known vendor I've had to experience. The Akai MPK88 was the last "big purchase" I've been able to make some years back and it lasted about half a year before my cat (yes, my cat) destroyed the USB port by stumbling over the cable, literally ripping the port to shreds (metal and all). From that moment on I've had to use the powerchord to power it up by plugging that in and out, because it does not have an on/off switch, of course, why would any electrical device have such a thing. Then, maybe a year later the pitch wheel broke as a flimsy little metal piece just broke off. This then I "fixed" with a little rubber band, which I had to replace every 3 to 4 months, only to eventually lose the mod wheel, which simply...well... I don't know... died?! Lose contact? Potty dead? No clue, but dead no less. I'm almost amazed that the (staggeringly loud) keys haven't broken off, yet. Thing is, I'm rather gentle in general, not a brute, except possibly my cat, so it's not that I'm butchering the hardware when I play it. I mean, my Korg M1 lasted for 25 years. It, actually, also lost control over its stick (mod/pitch wheel), but after 25 years and HEAVY usage, I forgive it with all my heart. In fact, I'm still dreaming of being able to get it repaired or even repair it myself somehow someday. Love this thing!
So, yeah, there you have it: Don't buy Akai! Maybe, maybe they care about their top-tier products, but anything under $1000 they care not about whatsoever. I so thought they had some pride in their brand, but well... :shrug: ...to bad it's my loss, though.

liqih wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:59 am
574X wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:27 pm U-he also teaches a lesson in ethics, with the ability to create presets for their commercial plugins, enabling students and sound designers to potentially sell soundware, much like with Spire, even if they can't afford a copy of the synth yet. Is the demo noise too frequent in that case? Yes, but it's an opportunity for upward mobility, regardless, and that is at the core of human progress.

Disclaimer: The comments provided in this post are not a reflection of anyone's opinion, but rather they are indecipherable hieroglyphics, which nobody understands, merely appearing as English text.
Me happens to read hieroglyphics and these read outrageously positivist.
I have to admit that this one also stood a bit out for me. Hope I do not fall for a u-he fanboy/troll but what has the world come to if we need to construct something as complicated as this just so that we have something to praise and feel good about? Sounds a bit like: "Hey, here's a piece of software that's not completely locked down and dictates how to use it. Aren't we all lucky?" And interestingly there would be enough other stuff that's more praiseworthy about u-he. For example that they offer full free synths.

Upward mo-what?!? So a person living in the slums of India will be able to escape them because of u-he's great synths and generous offerings? I really like their synths and seeing what Hive 2 now is I regret a bit that I did not buy Hive 1 at the reduced price when it came out. But let's please call them what they are: they are nice synths (and in a way luxury products) that can be used to make music (or to satisfy the GAS of some people who don't make music with the synths they buy :wink:).

Looking at my rant I should have just interpreted these signs as indecipherable hieroglyphics. :wink:

For the record, I'm using a Casio Tonebank CT-700 that I bought about 30 years ago. It was maybe $70.00 at the time--just one of those toy keyboards with a lot of preset sounds and drums, not performance grade in any way. Except, the key action has a far better feel than all of the cheap midi keyboards I tried out at Guitar Center. The only keyboard there that was better (excepting the fully weighted keyboards) was an Akai, ha.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Taron wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:48 pm Ahaha... :hug:
...never buy Akai! As sorry as I am to having to say that, but that's likely been the biggest let down of any known vendor I've had to experience. The Akai MPK88 was the last "big purchase" I've been able to make some years back and it lasted about half a year before my cat (yes, my cat) destroyed the USB port by stumbling over the cable, literally ripping the port to shreds (metal and all). [...]
Sorry to hear that Taron. I searched for the model and it seems that it isn't even an cheap keyboard. Do you already have an idea for an alternative? Judging by the MPK88's specs I guess you are looking for 88 fully weighted keys?

I have a Novation Impulse 61 which is holding up quite well but I also don't play it that often. And I also don't have a cat. :wink:

Yeah, all my life I wanted hammer mechanics and was thrilled to finally get it. After that M1 failed I thought it was the perfect opportunity... :bang:
Yes, I'm still looking for the ideal 88 key keyboard. Once I'm on top of my life again, I will most certainly hunt down the best I can find and ANY tip is super welcome! Thanks! :hug: :tu:

exponent1 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:13 pm It's gonna be a bombastic round! I don't own any paid u-he synths so I'm confused as to which free synth to use
:?: :?

Some recommendations would be really helpful! Good luck y'all!
I don't own any paid U-He synths either .. can totally recommend Tyrell N6 though. If I get to make a track this month, that's likely going to be my choice again.
Zebralette looks very capable too, and if you like something a little different, try Triple Cheese :D

Also, all this talk about keyboards makes me think I should probably get one too at some point ... I'm still putting the notes into my DAW with the mouse, but at least I got a new mouse a while ago ^^

Hhehehehe, I used to make my songs directly in memory, writing hex codes, running a routine from Maniacs of Noise with some modifications way back when on the C64. That was 1986 or 87 for a few years, I think. But, boy, did I love it all! :)

Taron wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:48 pm ...never buy Akai! As sorry as I am to having to say that, but that's likely been the biggest let down of any known vendor I've had to experience. The Akai MPK88 was the last "big purchase" ... and it lasted about half a year before my cat (yes, my cat) destroyed the USB port by stumbling over the cable, literally ripping the port to shreds (metal and all).
I had an AKAI LPK25, which actually lasted a while, but sure enough USB got trashed on it. I realized I hated mini keys, so replaced it with a CME XKey, which is actually quite nicely portable with full sized keys albeit a little strange to play coming from a full-size weighted 88 key controller.

I hope you can figure a way to get the MPK fixed, it sounds like you probably wanted the 88 keys, huh?

Oh yes, I very much did and do. Lord of the Springs with 88 keys is heaven! 8) ...but I really did get used to a full range keyboard quickly. That was the one thing I didn't like about the M1 and made this Akai feel so luxurious at first. Though, there are more things awkward about it, like the very bad drum pads it has and I therefore never use. I do, however, love the sliders and knobs!

I have a question: Isn't a demo of any u-he commercial plugin emitting noise bursts?

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:22 pm I have a question: Isn't a demo of any u-he commercial plugin emitting noise bursts?
Yes, they do emit noise after 2 mins at irregular intervals.
https://u-he.com/support/faq.html#licenses:demos

Return to “Instruments”