Native Instruments Layoffs?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't generally like the subscription model. However, if there was one company that I think has a wide enough selection of software to make me think it was an interesting concept, it would probably be NI. I even thought that Spitfire Audio were going to announce a subscription model, recently, and that would also have been an interesting propostition (Maybe not ongoing, but to be able to tap into their libraries on a project-by-project basis; like hiring an orchestra for a week)

digitalboytn wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:32 pm Here's a novel idea....

How about those clowns at NI actually listen to what WE want ?

They keep changing directions and then expect us to just follow them blindly like sheep...

It's making me dizzy,so I might cut them loose :wink:

I've been having an enjoyable time recently,sitting around playing acoustic guitar...

No subscriptions,no updates and no hardware conflicts...

Old school :)
For now... Soon your phone, alexa, smart TV, lighter, sink and shower (all connected to network) will recognise the sound of guitar and you'll have to pay subscription/royalties to a company which will own the sound of guitar ;)

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:40 pm
foosnark wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:01 pmMeaning they're not really instrument builders anymore.
Eeeep, wrong.
It would be nice if I was wrong. But it really seems like they are focused on people "consuming content," and specifically loops and samples.

In a sense, I could see Kore, Maschine, NKS, sounds.com etc. as all part of the same lineage, and they want to bring those sort of... sample content / preset management things together.

But to me that aspect is the least interesting thing NI does. I'd rather have an up to date Abysnth, or a Maschine with all its shit fixed, than "a centralized online service" or Maschine somehow being "unified" with Traktor.

pixel85 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:47 pm Eurorack covers (more or less) only final layer of Reaktor like Blocks. Proper hardware version should allow to create those modules (Core, Primary level etc). In another words it should be a hardware engineering workshop in form of an instrument without any resource limitations :) With reasonable price of course no more than $500 :D
If you go a little more expensive than that there's the Monome Norns and the Organelle with Orac. Closest I've seen to a Reaktor or Max type ecosystem in a self contained unit.

Disgusting subscriptions models, I hate all of them... As long as people keep accepting those procedures in all areas everything will be worse, a sad world where the individual is completely dependent of services and not even the product ones is paid will be our possession anymore.

People need to wake up and be aware about those very bad practices, hope NI doesn't go the same road and some blind people just says "ok, is alright I'll pay and support whatever it comes", unbelievable...

With absolute respect.

Ficciones wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:02 pm
pixel85 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:47 pm Eurorack covers (more or less) only final layer of Reaktor like Blocks. Proper hardware version should allow to create those modules (Core, Primary level etc). In another words it should be a hardware engineering workshop in form of an instrument without any resource limitations :) With reasonable price of course no more than $500 :D
If you go a little more expensive than that there's the Monome Norns and the Organelle with Orac. Closest I've seen to a Reaktor or Max type ecosystem in a self contained unit.
While it's not analog (as I originally stated as Behringer analog clone ;) ) this Organelle looks really cool (I like it more than Monome because I know PD and not the other language). I'll definitely look closer to this. Thanks :)

JunSev wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:18 pm Disgusting subscriptions models, I hate all of them... As long as people keep accepting those procedures in all areas everything will be worse, a sad world where the individual is completely dependent of services and not even the product ones is paid will be our possession anymore.

People need to wake up and be aware about those very bad practices, hope NI doesn't go the same road and some blind people just says "ok, is alright I'll pay and support whatever it comes", unbelievable...

With absolute respect.
Couldn't agree more. Adobe lost me forever as a customer after moving to a subscription service, and same thing will happen with NI IF they make a similar move.

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:55 am I am about to apply for a job at NI to put them on the right path...; - )
There's not lots of job offer at the moment :wink:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/career-center/
Last edited by Loudness_Contour on Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JunSev wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:18 pmand not even the product ones is paid will be our possession anymore.
Ok! Whose turn is it to explain to JunSev that he doesn't own/possess the software he pays for?

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:36 pm
JunSev wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:18 pmand not even the product ones is paid will be our possession anymore.
Ok! Whose turn is it to explain to JunSev that he doesn't own/possess the software he pays for?
i think the lottery is drawn later tonight.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:36 pm
Noone's. Just give up on it.

Peter Kirn with the big insight, in a comment on one of his posts about this:
I would speculate that probably this *is* what recent investors wanted. But whether it's what NI customers and partners want is another story.
And another commentor, in the other post, reminds everyone that labor laws and contracts in Germany are much, much better than in America, and the labor market is also pretty solid there right now even for those who don't get scooped up by Uli :)

foosnark wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:02 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:40 pm
foosnark wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:01 pmMeaning they're not really instrument builders anymore.
Eeeep, wrong.
It would be nice if I was wrong. But it really seems like they are focused on people "consuming content," and specifically loops and samples.

In a sense, I could see Kore, Maschine, NKS, sounds.com etc. as all part of the same lineage, and they want to bring those sort of... sample content / preset management things together.

But to me that aspect is the least interesting thing NI does. I'd rather have an up to date Abysnth, or a Maschine with all its shit fixed, than "a centralized online service" or Maschine somehow being "unified" with Traktor.
NI has some brilliant dsp coders... the sound quality of their recent offerings is as good as it gets.

Where they are falling down, is in the framework of the synth. All the infrastructure around the sound. Perhaps the synth division is underfunded. Massive X is the first new VST synth (Not Reaktor) in a long time and it is shocking how incomplete it is even though it was released well past the announced date.

My impression is that NI has been stuck having to keep up their revenue stream and the individual instruments have suffered because of it. It is possible that behind the scenes they have been building the infrastructure of the future, but the release of MX as is has not been inspiring in that area.

The press release from NI does not give confidence for my interests. The focus is selling me content... not fixing the foundational issues that make it difficult to keep the existing instruments up to date.

Of course it is possible that 2-3 years from now Massive X will have a great browser, slick new midi learn setup etc and that their other standalone synths will be updated to that new code base. Or, it could be that MX will never get a proper browser and instead NI is intending to sell me some hardware that does that task... or an online service that houses and organizes all my presets.

At the moment, I wish I had not paid $99 to upgrade Komplete to get Massive X. At this point, I expect to wait a couple years and see where NI is going before giving them any more money. In the meanwhile, I have more than enough tools to fulfill any musical project I have in mind!

Loudness_Contour wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:33 pm
JunSev wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:18 pm Disgusting subscriptions models, I hate all of them... As long as people keep accepting those procedures in all areas everything will be worse, a sad world where the individual is completely dependent of services and not even the product ones is paid will be our possession anymore.

With absolute respect.
Couldn't agree more. Adobe lost me forever as a customer after moving to a subscription service, and same thing will happen with NI IF they make a similar move.
I have enough hardware synths at this point to fulfill my musical interests even if every plugin developer went subscription!

Am I the only One who doesn’t hate subscription that much as long as it’s done reasonably?
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Return to “Instruments”