So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:46 am
machinesworking wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:42 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:59 pm who worries about 3 years from now?
that seems like a pointless endeavour, we cant know what will happen that far in advance so why even care? it doesmt actually exist, all that exists is now and even that's gone by the time ive typed it :o
live for today, eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die.

for spartaaaaaaaa!

"who worries about 3 years from now?"
I just stated my worry. Are you going to attempt to control my reactions? Sure, if something is dead or not doesn't matter to you. Cool. Why are you posting on this topic then?

Sometimes it's not just outright ad hominem that's disrespectful, sometimes it's discrediting and downplaying others concerns because they are not your concerns.

There are plenty of examples of plug ins and software that lasts, and related hardware that gets driver updates. NI aren't a company that you can say that about at all. No updates and dropping support for their hardware controllers related to Guitar Rig points to them dropping development. That's as objective as it gets, and if that bothers you come out and say it, but downplaying peoples concerns about that is just passive aggression.
or me just sharing my view. in a conversation.
Shut up and stop disrespecting people by not having the exact same opinion as them.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:34 am
machinesworking wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:44 pm NI have a history of abandoning software
What have they abandoned in the past decade?
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... her-files/
I'm not exactly sure why people debate things they can easily look up? NI don't make class compliant MIDI or audio hardware, they also don't tend to support it past a certain "sell by" date. I gave up on using Rig Kontrol as a MIDI controller since it's only supported in an older version of Controller Editor, and Maschine updates automagically install the Latest Version of Controller Editor™ :dog:
The audio was already unsupported, and prone to crackling.
Those end dates aren't there because the software drivers are "finished", it's because NI sees no reason to update drivers for hardware they discontinue. Not even bothering with including Rig Kontrol in the later versions of Controller Editor.
there's plenty of evidence that Guitar Rig is on the way out, Rig Kontrol hardware is not longer supported, no new audio drivers, no support in Controller Editor.
So what's the evidence that the Guitar Rig software is on the way out?
Usually your comebacks are interesting and insightful, this is just a lazy rhetorical question with the answer in the text you quoted. Ad in that Guitar Rig is not being updated etc. and you have at least two different areas where the software is not getting support.

I wouldn't dismiss anyones' concerns about Guitar Rig, or any software that's put out by a huge company recently laying off a significant portion of it's employees, that hasn't updated that software, that discontinued dedicated hardware, including software support for that hardware. That's IMO a lot of circumstantial evidence that there might not be much in the way of a future for Guitar Rig.

Again, I don't get why people assume that you're on some team? Team NI or anti NI, larger companies are never that easy to dismiss or be cheerleaders for, since they usually make decisions that could argue both extremes.

If someone was to ask me personally about buying Komplete I would say it's a great deal, if they were to ask about buying Guitar Rig specifically I would not recommend it at this point.

yeah for sure, im not sure id recommend it either.
there probably are better options if you are specifically looking for a package of guitar fx and amps.
but the question was is it dead not is it dying or would you recommend it? so the answer is still no, it's not dead.

ps: screw team ni, team spartaaaaaaaa!

Forgotten wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:42 pm
All of donk’s song have historical context (apparently)
One is of course always mindful of the Marxist dialectic. Especially on a Monday.

donkey tugger wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:26 pm
One is of course always mindful of the Marxist dialectic. Especially on a Monday.
Of course comrade.

vurt wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:24 pm yeah for sure, im not sure id recommend it either.
there probably are better options if you are specifically looking for a package of guitar fx and amps.
but the question was is it dead not is it dying or would you recommend it? so the answer is still no, it's not dead.

Isn't that semantics though? I mean we all know it works on our computers now, and probably will for a while. When someone asks if a piece of software is 'dead' we all know what they mean by that.
I mean really, it's pretty obvious that NI are not going to be spending any time at all on the software, and the same could be said about others, I mean whatever happened to Ohm Force?? Air? I think NI get attention because of the history, there is a history of things going south into the ether with them, and with Ohm and Air as examples they simply just stopped doing anything at all with their stuff, it's in limbo....

donkey tugger wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:26 pm

machinesworking wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:50 pm
machinesworking wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:44 pm NI have a history of abandoning software
I'm not exactly sure why people debate things they can easily look up?
Because, even if it were up to other people to research the evidence of your unsupported assertion, looking up a list of old hardware drivers isnt evidence for them having a history of abandoning software in the past decade.
there's plenty of evidence that Guitar Rig is on the way out, Rig Kontrol hardware is not longer supported, no new audio drivers, no support in Controller Editor.
Usually your comebacks are interesting and insightful, this is just a lazy rhetorical question with the answer in the text you quoted. [/quote]

Except its not in the text. I asked for evidence, and you havent provided any.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

machinesworking wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:33 am
vurt wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:24 pm yeah for sure, im not sure id recommend it either.

Isn't that semantics though? I mean we all know it works on our computers now, and probably will for a while. When someone asks if a piece of software is 'dead' we all know what they mean by that.
I mean really, it's pretty obvious that NI are not going to be spending any time at all on the software, and the same could be said about others, I mean whatever happened to Ohm Force?? Air? I think NI get attention because of the history, there is a history of things going south into the ether with them, and with Ohm and Air as examples they simply just stopped doing anything at all with their stuff, it's in limbo....
those semantics might seem important when you're the one close to death.
oi leave my stuff alone! im not quite dead!!!

the op was also asking if people had moved on, therefore leaving the program dead on their systems, as of yet there seems to be a few hanging on, there has to be some reason? so i personally think it's because it's a good product that still has life. some parts have been surpassed in quality, but there is still plenty of use in it.
maybe if i was more in to the amp sims than the fx id see thing differently, but i dont use amp sims much anyway, nothing against them just never moved that way (yet, who knows...).

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:08 am
machinesworking wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:50 pm
machinesworking wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:44 pm
NI have a history of abandoning software
I'm not exactly sure why people debate things they can easily look up?
Because, even if it were up to other people to research the evidence of your unsupported assertion, looking up a list of old hardware drivers isnt evidence for them having a history of abandoning software in the past decade.
Usually your comebacks are interesting and insightful, this is just a lazy rhetorical question with the answer in the text you quoted.
Except its not in the text. I asked for evidence, and you havent provided any.
This is the best example of cherry picking I've ever seen anybody do.

Hardware drivers are? Hmm? I dunno? made with this thing called software... NI have abandoned the software for most of their discontinued hardware, including all of their hardware attached to Guitar Rig, that's not an arguable point. That is software that NI do not support that was discontinued in the last ten years, that's not an arguable point. Moving goal posts and cherry picking does not make your point valid, it makes you look intellectually lazy.

In Fact you're not even coming at this from any recognizable angle beyond trying to "prove me wrong"? I mean if you are please clarify, but I just don't see it. My point stands, NI have a history of abandoning software, and in my opinion it's not less egregious or consequential that the recent discontinued product is software for hardware support.

The point you're making is lost here, abandoning support for software in the way of its ancillary supporting hardware, not updating drivers etc., is evidence. Is it hard evidence? no, it's circumstantial evidence, court cases are won on circumstantial evidence, end of story.

machinesworking wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:44 pmthere's plenty of evidence that Guitar Rig is on the way out, Rig Kontrol hardware is not longer supported, no new audio drivers, no support in Controller Editor.
I don’t really understand your reaction here - he asked a perfectly reasonable question and you have somehow taken offense and thrown a few (admittedly somewhat mild) insults into the mix.

Not sure why you don’t either say what evidence you have or say you don’t have any :shrug:

Just a thought, who does NI outsource to?
Softube, who, make amp sims, just saying.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:00 pm Just a thought, who does NI outsource to?
Softube, who, make amp sims, just saying.
They might do well to contact Mike Scuffham.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Although it's true that NI have discontinued a whole bunch of products, that's mostly because they've been around for almost a quarter-century -- longer than almost every other plugin company out there. Some of the discontinuations hurt (I would buy an updated version of Vokator in a heartbeat & I miss Kore very much) but it's not entirely fair to compare them to other companies.

Well no one really knows what they’re going to do beyond what is outlined in their press release. We can speculate, but will just have to wait and see what happens with products not explicitly mentioned.

Return to “Effects”