So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27491 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:15 am

machinesworking wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:41 am
Hardware drivers are? Hmm? I dunno? made with this thing called software...
So lets recap. You, in a thread about one of their audio applications, Guitar Rig, you said that they're abandoning software, and I ask you which specific software they've abandoned in the past ten years, and you answered 'why dont you look at this list of hardware drivers' And now you're saying that the software that they've abandoned isnt audio applications like Guitar Rig, its hardware drivers, and that's not you moving goalposts because hardware drivers are software. Agreed?
Moving goal posts and cherry picking does not make your point valid, it makes you look intellectually lazy.
Indeed. Which is why Im still sticking to the original goalposts of my question, despite your attempt to move them. What software has NI abandoned in the past ten years? What is the specific evidence you claim there is that Guitar Rig is going to be abandoned?
In Fact you're not even coming at this from any recognizable angle beyond trying to "prove me wrong"?
Actually, Im asking you to prove you right. Your failure to do so is entirely of your making.
I mean if you are please clarify, but I just don't see it. My point stands, NI have a history of abandoning software, and in my opinion it's not less egregious or consequential that the recent discontinued product is software for hardware support.
Actually, they have two points in their entire history where they abandoned any software-that's actually-software-applications-and-not-hardware-drivers software, and one of those instances was codependent on hardware, and its all more than ten years ago.
That's 'a history' in the same way you have a history of wetting your bed.
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27491 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Re: So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:17 am

Forgotten wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:55 am
whyterabbyt wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:34 am
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:44 pm
there's plenty of evidence that Guitar Rig is on the way out, Rig Kontrol hardware is not longer supported, no new audio drivers, no support in Controller Editor.
So what's the evidence that the Guitar Rig software is on the way out?
I don’t really understand your reaction here - he asked a perfectly reasonable question and you have somehow taken offense and thrown a few (admittedly somewhat mild) insults into the mix.

Not sure why you don’t either say what evidence you have or say you don’t have any :shrug:
I presume this is directed at machinesworking...
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27491 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Re: So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:36 am

dang, le mis-edit.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
3159 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:23 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:17 am
Forgotten wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:55 am
whyterabbyt wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:34 am
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:44 pm
there's plenty of evidence that Guitar Rig is on the way out, Rig Kontrol hardware is not longer supported, no new audio drivers, no support in Controller Editor.
So what's the evidence that the Guitar Rig software is on the way out?
I don’t really understand your reaction here - he asked a perfectly reasonable question and you have somehow taken offense and thrown a few (admittedly somewhat mild) insults into the mix.

Not sure why you don’t either say what evidence you have or say you don’t have any :shrug:
I presume this is directed at machinesworking...
Oops, yes. I think I missed a piece of what I meant to quote. Just an odd reaction to you asking a very reasonable question .

CapnLockheed
KVRAF
2244 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Central NY

Re: So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:11 pm

Maybe with the re-shuffling at NI they will finally allow Efflam Le Bivic, (Mokafix)
to use his coding skills instead of just designing their, (IMHO), rather silly looking recent
GUI's. Efflam has a knack for coding good distortions. I worked with him directly from the
beginning of Mokafix till he closed shop. I still love and use his stompbox emulations.
I would love to see these get integrated into Guitar Rig and have him try his hand at
updating G5's rather limp wristed ampsims. C'mon NI!! Give us Guitar Rig 6....and bring back Rig Control....PLEASE!!
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
50077 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:15 pm

also, is death the end?
we have no proof of this yet.

gnu23
KVRian
588 posts since 8 Mar, 2004 from Network 23

Re: So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:12 pm

vurt wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:47 am
isnt it good, norwegian blue...
..leaves me pining for the fjords..
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
3159 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:56 pm

vurt wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:15 pm
also, is death the end?
we have no proof of this yet.
Zombie Guitar Rig?

SiliconDeath
KVRist
210 posts since 21 Feb, 2017

Re: So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:08 pm

*checks if topic was created in 2019*

Yeah, it's pretty much dead progress wise, unless they pull a version update out of the blue. You can use it, but it's better idea to invest in something more modern.. like S-Gear 2, stuff from Mercuriall, Peavey ReValver etc.

User avatar
exmatproton
KVRAF
2490 posts since 25 Apr, 2011

Re: So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:10 pm

vurt wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:15 pm
also, is death the end?
we have no proof of this yet.
The end of.....what?

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
50077 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:17 pm

exmatproton wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:10 pm
vurt wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:15 pm
also, is death the end?
we have no proof of this yet.
The end of.....what?
the need for new underwear.

User avatar
exmatproton
KVRAF
2490 posts since 25 Apr, 2011

Re: So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:44 pm

vurt wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:17 pm
exmatproton wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:10 pm
vurt wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:15 pm
also, is death the end?
we have no proof of this yet.
The end of.....what?
the need for new underwear.
I think that has been proven automatically

machinesworking
KVRAF
1761 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

Post Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:53 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:15 am
So lets recap. You, in a thread about one of their audio applications, Guitar Rig, you said that they're abandoning software, and I ask you which specific software they've abandoned in the past ten years, and you answered 'why dont you look at this list of hardware drivers' And now you're saying that the software that they've abandoned isnt audio applications like Guitar Rig, its hardware drivers, and that's not you moving goalposts because hardware drivers are software. Agreed?

Yes audio drivers, software for hardware, that is attached at the hip to the software we are talking about. I'm somehow moving goalposts because I'm talking about Guitar Rigs ancillary directly related product? You're reaching here. Software is software, whether it's a plug in or a driver, you're not making any sense.
Indeed. Which is why Im still sticking to the original goalposts of my question, despite your attempt to move them. What software has NI abandoned in the past ten years? What is the specific evidence you claim there is that Guitar Rig is going to be abandoned?
I've already stated it, the fact that you refuse to see my point? I can't help you with that. It's one of those internet argument things were people decide there are "sides". You've decided that NI are not going to abandon Guitar Rig, and I'm not so sure? We are not going to agree on that, especially since you've decided that only evidence you personally deem important is valid... no matter what you actually said.


I mean if you are please clarify, but I just don't see it. My point stands, NI have a history of abandoning software, and in my opinion it's not less egregious or consequential that the recent discontinued product is software for hardware support.
Actually, they have two points in their entire history where they abandoned any software-that's actually-software-applications-and-not-hardware-drivers software, and one of those instances was codependent on hardware, and its all more than ten years ago.
That's 'a history' in the same way you have a history of wetting your bed.
They've had multiple points. They had two or more plug in formats before .nks for instance. I've owned Absynth since v1.5, Komplete since v2. Recently since Kore it's better recently, but Rig Kontrol and some other audio cards had driver development stop on them, and recent versions of Controller Editor are not supporting MKI Maschine controllers.
I don't hate NI, but I do not think it's a smart move to rely on them for long term solutions, especially hardware.

As far as your wetting the bed comment, I'm not sure why you think that's a valid debate tactic? it's as stupid and childish as gets. It flatly lets me know that you have no real point. There is no moving of goalposts by me here and it takes a lot of intentional avoidance to deny that drivers are software, that no new updates as a clue doesn't count NI's recent layoffs etc.

I agree, Guitar Rig is not "dead" in the strictest sense, but everyone ganging on people who have concern in this thread is as much nonsense as claiming with certainty that it's dead.

Personally I'm more than happy to be wrong, my wish is for NI to get their head out of their ass and release VST3 versions of Guitar Rig, Absynth etc with new GUIs etc. I don't see it though, NI's statement about "consolidating for a new platform" plus all of the rest says that the most I can hope for is VST3.

User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27491 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Re: So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

Post Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:32 am

machinesworking wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:53 am
whyterabbyt wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:15 am
So lets recap. You, in a thread about one of their audio applications, Guitar Rig, you said that they're abandoning software, and I ask you which specific software they've abandoned in the past ten years, and you answered 'why dont you look at this list of hardware drivers' And now you're saying that the software that they've abandoned isnt audio applications like Guitar Rig, its hardware drivers, and that's not you moving goalposts because hardware drivers are software. Agreed?

Yes audio drivers, software for hardware, that is attached at the hip to the software we are talking about. I'm somehow moving goalposts because I'm talking about Guitar Rigs ancillary directly related product? You're reaching here. Software is software, whether it's a plug in or a driver, you're not making any sense.
Indeed. Which is why Im still sticking to the original goalposts of my question, despite your attempt to move them. What software has NI abandoned in the past ten years? What is the specific evidence you claim there is that Guitar Rig is going to be abandoned?
I've already stated it, the fact that you refuse to see my point? I can't help you with that. It's one of those internet argument things were people decide there are "sides". You've decided that NI are not going to abandon Guitar Rig, and I'm not so sure? We are not going to agree on that, especially since you've decided that only evidence you personally deem important is valid... no matter what you actually said.


I mean if you are please clarify, but I just don't see it. My point stands, NI have a history of abandoning software, and in my opinion it's not less egregious or consequential that the recent discontinued product is software for hardware support.
Actually, they have two points in their entire history where they abandoned any software-that's actually-software-applications-and-not-hardware-drivers software, and one of those instances was codependent on hardware, and its all more than ten years ago.
That's 'a history' in the same way you have a history of wetting your bed.
They've had multiple points. They had two or more plug in formats before .nks for instance. I've owned Absynth since v1.5, Komplete since v2. Recently since Kore it's better recently, but Rig Kontrol and some other audio cards had driver development stop on them, and recent versions of Controller Editor are not supporting MKI Maschine controllers.
I don't hate NI, but I do not think it's a smart move to rely on them for long term solutions, especially hardware.

As far as your wetting the bed comment, I'm not sure why you think that's a valid debate tactic? it's as stupid and childish as gets. It flatly lets me know that you have no real point. There is no moving of goalposts by me here and it takes a lot of intentional avoidance to deny that drivers are software, that no new updates as a clue doesn't count NI's recent layoffs etc.

I agree, Guitar Rig is not "dead" in the strictest sense, but everyone ganging on people who have concern in this thread is as much nonsense as claiming with certainty that it's dead.

Personally I'm more than happy to be wrong, my wish is for NI to get their head out of their ass and release VST3 versions of Guitar Rig, Absynth etc with new GUIs etc. I don't see it though, NI's statement about "consolidating for a new platform" plus all of the rest says that the most I can hope for is VST3.
So you're missing the point of the recap entirely. I asked you which software NI had abandoned in the past ten years. As per established common usage, my use of 'software' in my question referred to software applications, not drivers. Because whilst drivers are software, the accepted use is not to refer to drivers just as 'software'; the accepted, common, well-understood, specific term is 'drivers.' Or, less frequently, 'software drivers' or 'driver software.'
And in not using any of those terms, I used the accepted, common, well-understood, meaning of 'software', ie software applications. In my question.

And Ive made it quite clear since that 'drivers' wasnt what I was asking about.

And yet here you are, trying to argue that Im missing a point because the term 'software' in my question somehow hinges on ' Guitar Rigs ancillary directly related product' despite my assertion otherwise.

Disingenousness or just plain refusal to answer the question that was actually asked?
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

reggie1979
KVRian
1389 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

Post Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Image
AGAIN, for all those who missed the plot, IT DEAD IN DEVELOPMENT.

Sheeesh, why is it so hard to express this? It's been like 7 years, right? Am I right???????????

Return to “Effects”