Best DAW for ARA integration and comping

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Just saw the news item re Cubase and tight ARA integration (are they just late in their implementation of ARA version 2?).

I looked at this video (promoted here at KVR):

https://youtu.be/XV4it5iQbk4

...and I really, truly dig the workflow. My DAW de preference cannot do this (change between subtracks on the fly, as one seems to be able to do in Cubase, or even integrate with ARA) and it would be so awesome!

Thus, I wonder if comping in this visual manner and very easily choosing between various parts of the subtracks is something available only in Cubase or if it's in all the big name hosts.

Basically, I am looking for a second host, for vocals comping only, integrated with ARA 2 (yes, I own Melodyne). I'd ideally like that host to be as inexpensive as possible, as long as the workflow is there as shown in the video. Cubase LE? Waveform 10? Studio One Free? ...

Thanks for any input!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Bandlab Cakewalk has comping and free Melodyne and ara 2 integration.

And its free.

And a great DAW as well.

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

SparkySpark wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:05 am Hi,

Just saw the news item re Cubase and tight ARA integration (are they just late in their implementation of ARA version 2?).

I looked at this video (promoted here at KVR):

https://youtu.be/XV4it5iQbk4

...and I really, truly dig the workflow. My DAW de preference cannot do this (change between subtracks on the fly, as one seems to be able to do in Cubase, or even integrate with ARA) and it would be so awesome!

Thus, I wonder if comping in this visual manner and very easily choosing between various parts of the subtracks is something available only in Cubase or if it's in all the big name hosts.

Basically, I am looking for a second host, for vocals comping only, integrated with ARA 2 (yes, I own Melodyne). I'd ideally like that host to be as inexpensive as possible, as long as the workflow is there as shown in the video. Cubase LE? Waveform 10? Studio One Free? ...

Thanks for any input!
Yes, if you own Melodyne your best option is Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Thanks! Much to my surprise, there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about Cakewalk these days (as in 2019) I think, so I had almost forgotten about that DAW. It's good to hear they have actually implemented not only ARA but also ARA 2 integration. This could be the perfect companion for me: I love the workflow of MuLab and also its modular capabilities, but its audio handling is not very advanced and ARA is not supported. Does the comping on subtracks and putting together a master vocals track from subtracks work as well as in the video?
Go MuLab!

^^^

I would consider MuLab if it featured ARA!

The full versions of the "big" DAWs have their own pitch-corrections
for vocal comping:

-- Apple Logic Audio: Flex Pro
-- Steinberg Cubase: VariAudio
-- FL-Studio: NewTone
-- Bandlab Cakewalk: Roland Variphrase
-- Reaper: ReaTune

These built-in pitchcorrections are perfectly integrated and allow a
fluent workflow.

DAWs with ARA-integration - if you have already Melodyne - are:

-- Steinberg Cubase (ARA-2)
-- Presonus Studio One (with Melodyne Essential)
-- Bandlab Cakewalk (ARA-1 and ARA-2)
-- Reaper (ARA-2)
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:11 am The full versions of the "big" DAWs have their own pitch-corrections
for vocal comping:

fluent workflow.

-- Reaper (ARA-2)
Also, Samplitude has it's own built in pitch correction, elastic audio, as well as ARA1 support. Samplitude Pro X5 should be getting ARA2 by the end of the year.

And weirdly, while we're on the subject of MAGIX, ACID Pro 9 should be getting ARA2 added sometime soonish in an update (it was promised at launch).

Tracktion Waveform has ARA1 support.

Digital Performer has it's own built-in pitch correction.

And don't forget Reason, it has it's own built-in pitch correction which is pretty good.

Thanks a lot for the lists!
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:51 pm Thanks! Much to my surprise, there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about Cakewalk these days (as in 2019) I think, so I had almost forgotten about that DAW. It's good to hear they have actually implemented not only ARA but also ARA 2 integration. This could be the perfect companion for me: I love the workflow of MuLab and also its modular capabilities, but its audio handling is not very advanced and ARA is not supported. Does the comping on subtracks and putting together a master vocals track from subtracks work as well as in the video?
Yes, Cakewalk by Bandlab, and Sonar before, has had very comprehensive comping features for a long time, using track lanes (subtracks, if you will) to store takes. With the last update they have made the use of lanes much more flexible, not limiting its use to comping. This post shows more about this:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... -overview/

enroe wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:11 am The full versions of the "big" DAWs have their own pitch-corrections
for vocal comping:

fluent workflow.

-- Reaper (ARA-2)
I believe Logic has ARA2
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

JoseC. wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:10 am
SparkySpark wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:51 pm Thanks! Much to my surprise, there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about Cakewalk these days (as in 2019) I think, so I had almost forgotten about that DAW. It's good to hear they have actually implemented not only ARA but also ARA 2 integration. This could be the perfect companion for me: I love the workflow of MuLab and also its modular capabilities, but its audio handling is not very advanced and ARA is not supported. Does the comping on subtracks and putting together a master vocals track from subtracks work as well as in the video?
Yes, Cakewalk by Bandlab, and Sonar before, has had very comprehensive comping features for a long time, using track lanes (subtracks, if you will) to store takes. With the last update they have made the use of lanes much more flexible, not limiting its use to comping. This post shows more about this:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... -overview/
Thanks, and thanks for the link to the post in question! It really shows off how good the comping features got this July - it seems I asked my question at a perfect time! :tu:

And this is still freeware? This is just insane. :o :clap:
Go MuLab!

Yes it is free now but you have to have a copy of Melodyne yourself. With being free Cakewalk no longer has it included.
The software keeps getting better. Give it try.

As everyone has said already the best Daw for ARA is Cakewalk and the new update is brilliant for comping. That program just gets better and better.

Thanks guys! I'm downloading Cakewalk now. :tu:

It'll be a fun and rewarding experience, I'm sure (and yes, I do own a copy of Melodyne). I actually showcased at NAMM when Sonar was first released back in the days, so it will be interesting to see what has transpired since then (quite a lot presumably :D).
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:30 pm

Thanks, and thanks for the link to the post in question! It really shows off how good the comping features got this July - it seems I asked my question at a perfect time! :tu:

And this is still freeware? This is just insane. :o :clap:
Actually, the comping features were there before. What they did with the last update was including the possibility of using track lanes fore layering audio in the same track as well. If you are in comping mode, by default each time you click a clip in a lane all the clips in other lanes that overlap with it are automatically muted. Now you can unselect Comping mode and also have all of them sounding and edit all layers in a single track.

Just make sure that you have Comping mode selected in the Smart Tool

I also works with midi, by the way, so you can layer drums and have each instrument in a single clip in a separate lane within a single track.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”