OSX Catalina vs OpenGL vs ProTools 10

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You are probably aware of this idiotic Apple's nonsense now, but what are we going to do? At some point people will start buying new machines with this crap preinstalled, so...

Now, we should support like 10.7 to the newest, right? Or maybe we can survive with 10.9 I don't know, either way Metal didn't exist yet, so there's no alternative for OpenGL. And we should also support ProTools 10 (which are still used by some oldschoolers, including some big studios afaik), which doesn't support 32-bit stuff... So... Not sure what to do now.

We may either say "WE ARE NOT SUPPORTING CATALINA"

Or "WE ARE NOT SUPPORTING OLDER OSX VERSIONS AND PT 10"

:D

Awesome :D Ideas?
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

What's wrong with OpenGL? I tested VCV Rack, an OpenGL application, and it works fine on MacOS 10.15.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

MeldaProduction wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:01 pm You are probably aware of this idiotic Apple's nonsense now, but what are we going to do? At some point people will start buying new machines with this crap preinstalled, so...
Not a big fan of developers who feel the need to insult their customer's purchase decisions. I am an Apple user and do not mind if a developer makes the decision to not support that platform. The market is saturated and there are alternatives for everything. But the constant bitching is annoying. Please make up your mind so that I know if it makes sense to purchase your products or not.

^^^
I agree with this. If it bothers you so much just drop support for MacOS and be done with it. Don’t just bitch about things you have no control over.

I actually think, stop supporting the new MacOS (OpenGL drop, 32bit drop, notarization mandatory, ...). The resistance in audio industry has to start somewhere and they've actually already lost the pro market. Just complaining without any actions will never change anything.

It felt really good to stop programming Macs :)

vortico wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:28 am What's wrong with OpenGL? I tested VCV Rack, an OpenGL application, and it works fine on MacOS 10.15.
So it hasn't been dropped? Hmmm that would be good. I actually recently talked to a guy from apple dev support (who was absolutely unhelpful as usual :D ) a he asked me "when are we switching to metal", so I told him "never the audio industry cannot switch for compatibility reasons" and then I read about dropping OpenGL, so I was like "aaaha middle finger, here it is" :D. I'll wait for the official 10.15 and we'll see then.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Tilly wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:09 am I actually think, stop supporting the new MacOS (OpenGL drop, 32bit drop, notarization mandatory, ...). The resistance in audio industry has to start somewhere and they've actually already lost the pro market. Just complaining without any actions will never change anything.
Hehe yeah it would be great, getting the middle fingers from them all the time and fixing their bugs is a majir headache, but I don't think the users would stop using them. Just read a certain post in this thread. The truth is Apple chose their customer base very well... They will support them even if Apple makes their life a mysery (for now dev lives are taking the main hit though :( )
Vojtech

I have a feeling that OSX 10.15 will break a lot of music applications. Users in the music field will need to avoid it as long as possible. It may be the best and most cost effective way to wait until the way to go becomes obvious.

Regarding Apple deprecating APIs you should form alliances with other music devs and inform Apple about the circumstances and magnitude of the problem. They seem to live in their ivory towers much.

It will. The problem is stubborn Apple users will blame app/plugin devs for Apple mistakes as usual. But yes it would be interesting if we would form alliances and globally stop supporting Apple forcing them to change attitude or users to switch to Windows (which would be better anyways) . But we would need the big players...
Vojtech

I received a email from NI asking their users NOT to update to Catalina. Looks like it's headed to get some noise from audio devs :bang:

I bet this will also be true for interface vendors like Universal Audio or companies like Steinberg. They always had problems to fix new issues introduced in MacOS versions or havn't even finished fixing the ones from previous versions.

Hehe yeah but I have a feeling Apple won't care anyways :D
Vojtech

AFAIK OpenGL is only deprecated since Mojave, not removed.
I can't see anything related to OpenGL removal in Catalina's release notes either.
That would put a lot of plug-in developers in a tight spot :(
We've found 10.14+ XCode SDK's have various problems with OpenGL (bugs, worsened performance),
so we stick with 10.13 for now.

Cool! And yeah, mojave started to be even more buggy than before and i susoect catalina will be much much worse...
Vojtech

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”