Your Number One (and why)?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jackson Dinky JS34Q

Great neck absolutely a blast to play.
The 5/8ths body style works well with my frame and the scale length is a standard 25.5. It has a meaty lp type tone in the bridge position do to ceramic pups providing a slightly darker tone than magnetics and an arched top. The other pups are "manageable" On reflection I should have opted for a JS32 (HH) While I did dabble in some glam metal during the 80's It wasn't my thing. Nonetheless It's great for that type of sound. I just keep it handy for everything now.

I need another jazz box.
I sold off my jx17 a few years back and my Jx16 is fading fast. I'm lucky to get ten years off of jazz boxes. Constant humidity issues results in body rattle and sag. The problem is on deciding which box will be my next. It's going to have to be under 1200.
I'm constantly debating which will be the one.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I tend to go through different moods where I prefer different guitars, but if I could only keep one, it'd be the Fender strat with H/S/H. Versatile and great playability. Plus people say it makes me sound like Mark Knopfler all the time, which isn't really true (I'm nowhere near that good), but it sure is nice to hear. I almost always play without a pick, which might have something to do with it.

Thankfully, I see no reason to have to get rid of any of my guitars. I have a very understanding wife who encourages my hobby and even gave me a grand to blow on gear at the end of last year (I blew a lot more than a grand tho).

tapper mike wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:15 pm Jackson Dinky JS34Q

Great neck absolutely a blast to play.
The 5/8ths body style works well with my frame and the scale length is a standard 25.5. It has a meaty lp type tone in the bridge position do to ceramic pups providing a slightly darker tone than magnetics and an arched top. The other pups are "manageable"
I have a JS32 7 string, and I’m really glad I went for the Jackson as the neck is great to play. I agree that the bridge pickup is by far the best one, but the others are OK.

Was just about to link you to my no.1.

A rare Japanese model from Matsumoku, Matsumoto factory.

I put my life and soul in to that forum post. Pics and all. Gone now.

The internet is cancer.

Ah well.

tapper mike wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:15 pm Jackson Dinky JS34Q
Always wanted to try the one they made with the sustainiac in it.
Never could find one to actually play

Lovely sounding guitars though

I keep on wanting to remove the tone pot and move the volume pot back so it doesn't interfere with my picking strumming. Like this guy did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVG_ASNiTvc

Also minor peeve is the Floyd Rose licensed Jackson branded trem. there is a slight "rattle point" between up and down. The real deal Floyd Rose on my Charvel Pro Mod doesn't have this dead space.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

My #1:

Custom-built in 1989 by luthier Tom Doyle, who also hand-wound his own pickups. Modeled after one of Les Paul's own early guitars which Les authorized (this is one of six that Les OK'd, each had different necks to suit the player and electronics differences - Les signed it as well, which was nice).

What pickups do you have in there Peter?

Wow, nice Peter!!!
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Forgotten wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:24 pm What pickups do you have in there Peter?
T.W. Doyle (the luthier) produced these pickups himself. All were hand-wound and I did have some say in these particular pickups but they're mostly like the ones he made for his other guitars. I lived nearby so it was great to get the neck exactly right, and he kindly let me observe some of the other parts of the process like hand-planing the beautiful bell on the top and such.

He's retired but one of my closest childhood friends learned the art from Tom so he now is the only person I will let work on this particular guitar in any way. I'll also likely pick up one of my friend's custom guitars when I have the cash. He consults me for input on his work though I have no real luthier skills, I do know a good instrument and am familiar with his master's work quite directly so I'm flattered he appreciates my opinion. Sorry for that long side story.
kovacs wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:30 pm Wow, nice Peter!!!
Thanks! I love this guitar, for sure.

Oh another side note, Tom was friends with Les and would do sound for Les - and drive back and forth - each week in NYC (Mondays at Fat Tuesdays if I recall correctly). Les was such an innovator and quite the pro of course. Though he was definitely more than seasoned and a master by this time, Tom said that Les would listen to the tapes of that night's show on the drive back home like sports teams watch game videos to learn from the game they just played. He tweaked his mastery of the instrument until his very last moment, he really truly was an inspirational figure in both his instrument mastery and recording/technology innovations.

Well that's two long side stories to apologize for I guess :)

I remember the adds for Doyle pick up systems in Guitar Player magazine back in the 80's

This one, because Geordie's playing it. No other guitar in the history of mankind has done what this guitar has done in those hands.

NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:31 am This one, because Geordie's playing it. No other guitar in the history of mankind has done what this guitar has done in those hands.

yeah, nice guitar. he's so casual when he plays, but the sound blows you away. Saw them again last year, still awesome.

Hey, pal, nobody asked you to agree with me, OK?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

:hug:

Return to “Guitars”