So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Simple summary:

List software (not hardware or drivers) that has been abandoned within the past 10 years.

Number of posts doing so: 0

Kinh wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:47 pm I dont know what the hell you jokers are on about
why so serious? :party:

Abandoned is diff than nothing the hell going on with updating sure. Let's call it poor communication skills of which I detest with any software dev including Microsoft of whomever it may be BUT MS does report end of life and give updates ( for good or bad)😅

mixtur.se wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:00 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:56 am
mixtur.se wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:18 am Examples of abandoned products:
B3
Pro 53
Spektral delay
Vokator
FM7
Kore player
ELEKTRIK PIANO
etc etc
Thanks for providing a list of products that were abandoned more than ten years ago, so that we know they're not relevant answers to the actual question. :clap: :clap:
Are you saying they provided updates for all of these within the last 10 years?
No. Read the actual question before commenting, in future.

The question was phrased 'in the past decade', not 'before the past decade'.
All these, with the exception of FM7, were abandoned before the past decade.
FM7 wasnt abandoned, it was upgraded to FM8.
I think it´s fair to say that they have dropped products for a long time, and continue to do so.
I think its fair to say noone has yet told me which software products, which are not software drivers for hardware products, have been abandoned in the past decade, specifically not including anything abandoned mroe than ten years ago.

Having been here a while, I owned all the products you listed when support for them stopped. So I do know when it happened.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

(the MK1 controller can be programmed by the latest controller editor, just checked. i have also the mk3, the mk1 i use, yes for what, haha, another portable studio... someone mentioned that it can't be programmed as a midi controller. wrong. the driver isn't included anymore in the latest maschine version, but still you can download it. even kore (2) drivers, don't know if they work for instance on win 10.)

(the drivers for the controllers for guitar rig are still available, i think. don't own own. i use the behringer fcb-1010..)

Forgotten wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:52 pm Simple summary:

List software (not hardware or drivers) that has been abandoned within the past 10 years.

Number of posts doing so: 0
This is not how this discussion has gone.

I made the statement that NI have a history of abandoning software. Then the "question" was asked, (and let's be honest it was in whyterabbyt case a rhetorical question), what software had been abandoned in the last ten years. This was an attempt to frame the question so he was always going to be right. Kudos for both a rhetorical question and framing.
The problem was he didn't specify what type of software he meant when he attempted to rhetorically rope me in, and he didn't do his research. So what we've had since is him attempting to further frame the arguement, in order to be "right", because that's all that matters on the internet.

NI have a history of abandoning software that isn't making money for them anymore. This isn't said out of spite, and I never meant only application software. The fact is they just laid off 20% of their workforce, with statements talking about "consolidating teams" etc. Add to that the continuous abandonment of software support for older hardware, in audio drivers and Controller Editor, plus history points to applications they made that no longer exist. There are plenty of reasons for people to have concern that Guitar Rig is on it's way out, especially considering the age of the current build.

I do not see why we need to argue about it at all? I get not throwing NI out with the bathwater etc. No reason to not use Guitar Rig, and plenty of reasons to think it's not dead as well, but to act like anyone looking at the current state with trepidation is flat wrong is IMO just taking sides on the interwebs for the big cock fight. Again, there's a lot of circumstantial evidence to flatly ignore to take a side. In fact you have to rewrite this thread to be about a definition of the term "software" in order to do so. :wink:

He clarified in a post soon after what he meant by “software”. If it doesn’t get answered it doesn’t matter I guess.

WasteLand wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:13 pm (the MK1 controller can be programmed by the latest controller editor, just checked. i have also the mk3, the mk1 i use, yes for what, haha, another portable studio... someone mentioned that it can't be programmed as a midi controller. wrong. the driver isn't included anymore in the latest maschine version, but still you can download it. even kore (2) drivers, don't know if they work for instance on win 10.)

(the drivers for the controllers for guitar rig are still available, i think. don't own own. i use the behringer fcb-1010..)
Yes in older versions of Controller Editor the MIDI templates are still there. For some gawdawful reason NI keep taking them out of later builds. Owning Maschine this means that every time I update Maschine, it updates the Controller Editor software. So every time you update you have to re-instal the older versions of Controller Editor that support those templates, (Rig Kontrol etc.). At some point I just gave up, since Rig Kontrol was producing artifacts as an audio card it wasn't useful anymore for that, and having to keep re-installing what will eventually be a non working Editor, I just had to admit that Trig Kontrol needed go.
We can always point to someone freezing a system at a current state to disprove anything really. MKI wa reported as being removed from the latest build of Controller Editor on the Maschine forums, I will take your word that they were wrong.

that which is not dead
may eternal lie
in some strange aeons
even death may die

:band2:

vurt wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:31 pm that which is not dead
may eternal lie
in some strange aeons
even death may die

Keith Richards?

Forgotten wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:35 pm
may eternal lie
in some strange aeons
even death may die

Keith Richards?
clearly him and mick were replaced with rudimentary automatons back in the 80s.
explains both the longevity and micks dancing :shrug:

Forgotten wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:28 pm He clarified in a post soon after what he meant by “software”. If it doesn’t get answered it doesn’t matter I guess.
Sure, but he was not doing it to get an answer, it was a rhetorical question. I think that's the part you're missing.
Later he frames it, i.e. he attempts to say that drivers don't count.

What's there to answer? There's no discussion to be had there, he's framing his argument to get the response he wants, which is that NI have not abandoned a plug in application since Kore. I'm not a fan of rhetorical questions, all he had to say was "NI have not abandoned any plug in since Kore.", or something similar, but instead he has to attempt to "prove someone else wrong". That's 100% the whole point of framing something as a rhetorical question in the first place.

It's the big shortcoming of internet forums IMO, in real life we would have hashed that out pretty quickly, but online it becomes pages of text and overblown...

Maybe check with him to see if it was rhetorical? I thought he was trying to validate whether they had actually canned any software in the past decade.

I don't have a lot of faith in most companies regarding driver development. It seems to be such a specialized skill that staff changes combined with continuous OS updates must make it very difficult to commit to driver development over the longer term.

I have experienced these disruptions by RME (yes RME abandoned digi cards) , Korg (Oasys PCI), M-Audio, Motu, Steinberg (big offender) and others... For NI ... Kore and Rig Kontrol are now require dedicated CPUS ( maintain 3 for that reason), sometimes elaborate workarounds or they don't work at all . We really don't have a choice but to accept it when it happens but I am very wary of purchasing driver dependent hardware from companies with smaller staffs now simply because if the big companies can't keep up, what hope is there for the smaller developer to make a long term committment?

Maybe if the companies would commit to open sourcing their drivers after they discontinue support I'd feel better about the situation but much of this is probably well kept industry secrets so little chance of that happening I suppose.

Let's hope NI keep their long term users in their focus should they enter a restructuring phase. I own a lot of their software and hardware and have more than a little skin in the game.
Last edited by Scotty on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:37 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:35 pm
may eternal lie
in some strange aeons
even death may die

Keith Richards?
clearly him and mick were replaced with rudimentary automatons back in the 80s.
explains both the longevity and micks dancing :shrug:
I've suspected as much
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Return to “Effects”