OSX Catalina vs OpenGL vs ProTools 10

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, it's business, if you want to earn money you have to do work, or hire somebody to do it for you. Of course, Windows is like zero-hidden-cost operating system in comparison to macOS, but there's still a lot of user money on macOS land. On the other hand, per my estimations macOS userbase shrinks at a fast pace, we'll see where macOS will be in 5 years time frame, sometimes userbase may drop and rise sharply (like in the case of AMD processors - they've seen it both ways).

Aleksey Vaneev wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:46 am Well, it's business, if you want to earn money you have to do work, or hire somebody to do it for you. Of course, Windows is like zero-hidden-cost operating system in comparison to macOS, but there's still a lot of user money on macOS land. On the other hand, per my estimations macOS userbase shrinks at a fast pace, we'll see where macOS will be in 5 years time frame, sometimes userbase may drop and rise sharply (like in the case of AMD processors - they've seen it both ways).
It shrinks for pros since Apple have shifted their target group to regular people (where they earn most of the money).

macOS is cool as long as you can update your OS every year. They support only last 3 releases of macOS anyway.

On Windows you have Windows 7 that is supported for the last 10 years!

One question guys. Do you have more bug reports on Windows or macOS?

For me, most of bugs comes from macOS, and they are a really weird ones, like suddenly plugin GUI doesn't shows on older OSs after switching to XCode 10, no matter if I use an older SDK, and target older OS.

Approximately 3 times more bug reports per user (average) on macOS than on Windows for us. Given our plugins share the same codebase, such ratio reflects a quite poor interoperability of various software components on macOS.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:17 am Approximately 3 times more bug reports per user (average) on macOS than on Windows for us. Given our plugins share the same codebase, such ratio reflects a quite poor interoperability of various software components on macOS.
Indeed, even greater difference here!

Isn't that just 3 times as many users?

quikquak wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:20 am Isn't that just 3 times as many users?
No, here macOS user base is 40% and Windows is 60% users ruffly speaking, but macOS bugs are 3 times more frequent (I am not counting the plugin bugs that affects both OSs).

Youlean wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:26 am
quikquak wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:20 am Isn't that just 3 times as many users?
No, here macOS user base is 40% and Windows is 60% users ruffly speaking, but macOS bugs are 3 times more frequent (I am not counting the plugin bugs that affects both OSs).
Same here.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:52 am
Same here.
Are they unique bugs or are they multiple instances of the same bug? Like if multiple users have the same validation bug.

masterhiggins wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:07 pm
Aleksey Vaneev wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:52 am
Same here.
Are they unique bugs or are they multiple instances of the same bug? Like if multiple users have the same validation bug.
Unique of course. All beautiful in its own way. :party:

Aleksey Vaneev wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:17 am Approximately 3 times more bug reports per user (average) on macOS than on Windows for us. Given our plugins share the same codebase, such ratio reflects a quite poor interoperability of various software components on macOS.
Or mac users are 3x more inclined to report a bug when they find one.

I found in our internal systems that only one in ten users reports a bug. This is even in the case where the user cannot procede with his/her work due to that specific bug (http status 500: internal server error)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

About 1/3 Mac users here (has been going down over years). We get an equal amount of bug reports from both sides, but on Windows it's like the same small bug reported multiple times, while on Mac it's almost always a new unique bug. So the reporting mentality is equal, at least here, but MacOS is just a trouble maker. Btw I experienced Mac Users by far more intrusive in that regard, nagging the very next day again if it has been fixed meanwhile (even if it's a bug that's not essential to the plugins funcitonality, like sorting a file browser)...

+1 here, much more bugs while less users on OSX. Worst stuff is related to OSX updates, everything goes to hell at that times. One thing is good on OSX though - the crash logs :). But that's pretty much the only advantage of OSX compared to windows I can find, which is a little sad considering it is related to crashes :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Crash logs? Don't you 'strip' your code? Or does Apple not allow that any more. :P

Actually not, yhe crash logs help so much, that i usually keep the symbols. I know i know :), but it's better to keep the only cool feature of osx :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”