Native Instruments Layoffs?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hink wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:04 pm
pixel85 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:37 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:42 pm
telecode wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:33 pm The legacy NI product sales channels are fauked. These people all come from Internet e-commerce companies (Airbnb, Google, Saleforce...) they know nothing or care about music makers. Its gonna be all sales action targeted at social media hobbyists by social media ambasadors.
Or it could be that they know a lot more about running successful businesses than musicians, so they will give things the impetus they need based upon demand and profitability. If musicians want the products then it makes sense to develop and update them, but it could be beneficial if those making the decisions don't have any potential conflict of interest if they are musicians themselves and have their own biases.
This. Musicians know sh** about business. How many of them manage big careers without manager or someone outside (or inside) band who is a manager/businessman? Only few. Business require skills and education (knowledge) that musicians not necessary have.
you realize you probably run the chance of offending a lot people here on KvR who happen to be musicians, family people, and very successful business people :dog:
It wasn't quite the point I was making either - musicians would of course be great employees for NI, but it would be beneficial to get guidance from others with a strong business background. My point about musicians is that they might be more likely to have 'pet' projects and push them, but if the company needs to focus more on profits then an objective view of the market would be useful.

Forgotten wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:39 pm
telecode wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:33 pm The legacy NI product sales channels are fauked. These people all come from Internet e-commerce companies (Airbnb, Google, Saleforce...) they know nothing or care about music makers. Its gonna be all sales action targeted at social media hobbyists by social media ambasadors.
Or it could be that they know a lot more about running successful businesses than musicians, so they will give things the impetus they need based upon demand and profitability. If musicians want the products then it makes sense to develop and update them, but it could be beneficial if those making the decisions don't have any potential conflict of interest if they are musicians themselves and have their own biases.
This. Musicians know sh** about business. How many of them manage big careers without manager or someone outside (or inside) band who is a manager/businessman? Only few. Business require skills and education (knowledge) that musicians not necessary have.
you realize you probably run the chance of offending a lot people here on KvR who happen to be musicians, family people, and very successful business people :dog:
It wasn't quite the point I was making either - musicians would of course be great employees for NI, but it would be beneficial to get guidance from others with a strong business background. My point about musicians is that they might be more likely to have 'pet' projects and push them, but if the company needs to focus more on profits then an objective view of the market would be useful.
my point was to the statement Musicians know sh** about business, baseless statement imo :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Yeah I hear you - generalizations are never good, and I kind of felt my point was missed, as it certainly wasn’t that musicians know nothing about business at all.

TBH, the "musicians know nothing about business" comment was on the tip of my tongue several times. In the end, i decided against it, because, i won't change KVR anyway. It is what it is. People just only see things from their end. And, they also can't see the bigger picture. I.e. less expensive products for us, if companies do well, and that largely depends on decisions made by CEO's. No matter if you like that or not.

That said, i'm sure that most people who run a business with studio work, sound design, or whatever surely don't share the same antipathies towards the industry as most of the hobbyists, who posted in this and other threads. Naturally, as it's often a give and take with the industry.

music , for many , is a hobby ...
an aspiration for a livelyhood , often unrealized ...

business , as a hobby , not so much ...

that's exactly my point, and it's not either/or...one can be great at both, and of course others not so much :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Jim Rosebrook wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:57 pm Here's some more helpful info about what's going on at NI.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/native-i ... 1568466316

Some impressive upper-level people came aboard in January 2019. Having a large internal shift ready to pivot by August is pretty rapid.

Give it a read.
Just a bunch of corporate dicks making the corporation even more top heavy...

Their appointment is all about money...

More bean counters...

How are they going to create better products ?

I hope that they get replaced with an algorithm or with a robot :wink:
dellboy wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:21 pm "Senior talent from Google, Airbnb, Hewlett Packard, Salesforce and SoundCloud drafted in to deliver a new music creation ecosystem for everyone" :clap:

HA HA HA HA

Gibson mark 2

What more needs to be said.
Not much needs to be said...

Gibson are a shadow of their former self and the're completely out of touch with the reality on the ground...

If I had any money in that company,I would pull it out pronto and run for cover because I think that they are going to bite the dust...

There's too many "experts" at the top of that tree...
donkey tugger wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:22 pm
Jim Rosebrook wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:57 pm Here's some more helpful info about what's going on at NI.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/native-i ... 1568466316

Some impressive upper-level people came aboard in January 2019. Having a large internal shift ready to pivot by August is pretty rapid.

Give it a read.
That's some impressive corporate cockspeak.
:lol:

That's putting it rather succinctly :wink:

We're all just bystanders to this whole scenario and it will be very interesting to see how this all plays out...

Personally,I couldn't care what happens at NI or to NI because their new offerings are of no interest to me and I have very little empathy for them,because they are another company that is a shadow of it's former self...

There are so many different choices out there now and personally,I find that many offerings from the smaller players are more inspiring and more fit for purpose...

So that is what I choose to use now...it was different back in day when there was a lot less competition and also less access to the smaller players...

But the internet has really levelled the playing field...

I guess the truth is that I am not a big fan of the bean counters sticking their greedy mitts into the arts....

They can try and control the tools,but we should do what we can to avoid that impacting on our creativity...

Like I said earlier...

I hope that all of the bean counters in this world get replaced with an algorithm or with a robot...

That would wake them up real quick :wink:
No auto tune...

Running businesses does not require any special skills or training. People do it all the time.

Ruining businesses while claiming to put customers first and pocketing large cash from the former star company you are wrecking and then getting hired to do it again to a different company from a parallel or better position, THAT requires a business degree - and no shame.

Look, addressing another deflection, if NI does not know who its customers are 23 years in - and needs a Silicon Valley type to divine such mysteries - NI has already accepted di peg.

"F**ked company" is what we called them 20 years ago. Still do, but the profanity bots are more common now. And the horse cake these efficiency zombies spout in the process of firing staff to set the company up for the final harvest of asset sales and debt loading is the same fragrant brand they peddled under Little Bush in Silicon Valley and elsewhere.

Business school isn't the root of all evil - just a root of evil

I'm pretty sure that those 'only few' that I mentioned who can do business (and who can make comment about whole paragraph not just excerpt from the first sentence) will not be offended :roll:

My point was that to run a company like NI (which is not a wee family business) it's better to have someone skilled in running a business in first place and then (eventually) being a musician at a second place. Not the other way around.

pixel85 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:39 am
I'm pretty sure that those 'only few' that I mentioned who can do business (and who can make comment about whole paragraph not just excerpt from the first sentence) will not be offended :roll:

1. your assertion is just that, an assertion...back it up and prove it has merit, because it's simply pigeonholing but I have no problem being wrong...back up the statement that musicians know shit about business please

2. TBH the members here who run their own businesses, well they are indeed likely not offended, they just laugh all the way to the bank.

3. I know basically your point is the musicians are typically bad at managing careers and such for musicians, so while you want to roll your eyes at me kindly show me evidence that said businessmen are not musicians or did not start out as musicians and find their niche in the music industry business. I mean seriously, from instrument manufacturers to software devs, to managers, producers, engineers, teachers, music store owners, jees the list could go on all day...please show me the proof that Business require skills and education (knowledge) that musicians not necessary have has anything to do with being a musician.

I know quite a few musicians who turned into great businessmen in the music industry, including some here. However I take it a step further, I have a cousin who in the 90's left waltham mass with his bass guitar (and he had an old style dj business) to go to cali to be a professional musician.

He turned to producing, by the end of the century he had amazing credits, his is regarded as the personal producer for one of (if not the) most successful rapper, actor, comedians of all time among many others and of course has grammys. He was a microphone company that is doing great and he has a plugin company...you want to tell him musicians know shit about business?

So back it up, back up blatant stereotyping and I'll be the very first to admit I was wrong. In fact I would wager many people had the same dream as my cousin and then discovered their strengths were in the business side of the music industry :tu:

pixel85 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:47 am
My point was that to run a company like NI (which is not a wee family business) it's better to have someone skilled in running a business in first place and then (eventually) being a musician at a second place. Not the other way around.
no, you said musicians were shit at business, now you're repeating it suggesting again that a musician could not be skilled in running a business. Just prove that statement :shrug:

There's a difference between running a successful market stall or eBay shop. And managing a multi million dollar business.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:04 pmThere's a difference between running a successful market stall or eBay shop. And managing a multi million dollar business.
there is indeed, captain obvious.

one thing that isnt a difference, though, is that neither have 'not being a musician' as a prerequisite.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

v1o wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:04 pm
There's a difference between running a successful market stall or eBay shop. And managing a multi million dollar business.
yes there is, so you are saying a musician cant do that? All I ask is proof that there is anything about being a musician that would preclude a musician from managing a multi million dollar business.

Your comment only addresses the comment pixel made about NI...does not address the othe two statements suggesting musicians are incapable.

Prove it with facts, not flapping gums...I want...no I need to see such verification before I agree that such an absurd statement has any merit :lol:

Edit: I'll make it easy for you guys...https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/...find me anything on their site that suggest musicians should not be business people...I mean why would they give up seats to those who will fail, they have a rep to maintain.

Return to “Instruments”