Analog emulation compressors I would actually use...

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I still have the VC 160 and VC 76 I'm willing to sell. Someone's already snagged up the VC2A, which I think is the nicest one.
They're nice compressors, I just find them a bit limited. I prefer the sound of Softube's FET Compressor to this one, but then that's a much more expensive plug-in ;) On my own tracks I've gravitated towards using the PA channelstrips, I like the sound of these, with the built in saturation and EQ it's usually all a channel needs.

They've been on sale for about $50,- pretty regularly.. we'll have to see how that goes with the new PA, but the SSL 4000 E was on sale yesterday. You can probably find them as cheap second hand now too, just mind the added license transfer fee.

I found a compressor that I already had, but wasn't using anymore (for no reason I guess) - MixPressor2. Read more about it, and it seems it has several modes for different type compressions - classic (valve and opto) as well as more cleaner modern. Looks like for now I will be covered in the compression department after wall :)

Virgiauskas wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:08 am I found a compressor that I already had, but wasn't using anymore (for no reason I guess) - MixPressor2. Read more about it, and it seems it has several modes for different type compressions - classic (valve and opto) as well as more cleaner modern. Looks like for now I will be covered in the compression department after wall :)
Yeah, the stuff in the PSP MixPack may be old but the MixPressor, MixBass, MixSaturator, do some really special things to audio!

The Klanghelm comps SDRR2 and MJUC are really good ..

Skyfall72 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:10 am Here’s an advice : if you want your mix sounds better any compressor even stock plugins would do just fine. It’s all about your technique and skills.
Although, a high quality plugins helps to do the job much easier. Ditch the waves.
Listen to my mix.
+100

Getting a good sound is 98% decision making but it’s a hell of a lot easier with great plugs and a little knowledge of where they work best

I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be a snob but I just never thought waves emulations sounded great. Some are good but their competition runs laps around them IMHO. In a lot of cases I don’t know the hardware and can’t judge accuracy but I can tell you that the glue, UAD, and brainworx sound a lot better to me than, say, a waves g-comp, which I do also own FWIW. It’s good. I just think others are significantly better

For emulations and analog color I recommend klanghelm first and foremost for the insane value. Then I’d say I presswerk or look for a deal or used license for brainworx stuff. Townhouse comp and vsc-2 get used in every single project, and I love bx opto, though it’s pretty clean

Add to list:
Kush Novatron
Kush AR-1

Since Waves were recently tempting with all sorts of sales, so got myself the CLA Classic Compressors and I would say that's a nice addition to what I already had. Feel covered now with all types of compression :)

https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/brighton
I recommend the London Acoustics Brighton Compressor. Ultraversatile, resonable priced (you can wait for a sale to get a better deal) and sample based (it means it is a digital copy of the actual hardware unit made of impulse response files). Best "in the box" compressor I've ever used.

Btw, it runs with the FREE N4 Player.

DMG Trackcomp. Especially now with the new models.
More BPM please

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”