Jumped Logic - anything a new user should keep in mind?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yesterday I bit the bullet and bought Logic. While I am very comfortable in Ableton, it's where I make my sound design and it's like my proper working place where I go every day. Besides, I never been comfortable in the Live arrangement view, so for a couple of years I started to miss the feel of a classic DAW. I tried Bitwig but that didn't do much either. It felt like Live but more modern and better thought out.

So here I am. I haven't spent much time with it yet.

If you would have been a new Logic user - is there anything you would have learnt better or differently?

/Carl
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

there is no AL like instrument rack, Simpler and Sampler and Drum rack in it
so worth to check the bundle of https://www.newsonicarts.com/html/products.php if u miss them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lueEtpWMKs8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2sP7-7mu7E

there are tons of different themes here, for ex. AL 10 https://logicproxthemes.blogspot.com/20 ... -x-10.html the guy behind the site is trustable one

I would watch at least the Olav's Power Tools & Tips, LOGIC PRO FASTTRACK 302
10.3x Workflow Tips and the flex time, smart tempo series from here
https://www.macprovideo.com/library/app ... ec0s0lkcNz

if u need more modulation power check https://dialogaudio.com/modulationprocessor/ ones
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Theres a bunch of features that are hidden by default, for example track freeze. Learn how to customize the transport, mix channels and arrange tracks to uncover stuff you might want to enable. Also, you have to do a manual key mapping to be able to mute a single clip individually with 'm' - highly recomended. Also be sure to enable the "capture midi" alternate record button. (It captures things you played while in playmode even if you didnt press record).

Also, theres a ton of tutorials on youtube for specific questions. Or just go ahead and ask here.

Btw congrats on getting on board with an awesome daw!

DrGonzo wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:27 am Yesterday I bit the bullet and bought Logic...If you would have been a new Logic user - is there anything you would have learnt better or differently?
Hi Carl, going for Logic Pro X is a good move. You will find many things to like about it. The default configuration has some limitations. But we can help you surpass them, with some of the assets we usually give to our Arkeon clients.

I can DM you our Custom LPX template for Free. It will make your MIDI editing experience much better. With it you can do things like: Set MIDI note by Keyboard Shortcut and much, much more!

Just DM me to confirm your interest and I will send it to you. This is not a marketing effort of any kind, I'm personally trying to help you at no cost. :tu:

Furthermore, I suggest you dive into this YouTube channel for some of the best FREE Logic Pro X education: MusicTechHelpGuy

If you need any assistance with this let me know.

Best Regards,

S.M - Founder

CodeUltra Sounds
CodeUltra Sounds - Makers of ARKEON Join us on Instagram: Daily Production Tips, Cool Art, Synth Stories.

Logic has a boatload of features. Give the users guide a couple of reads. The things I use all the time are drummer and studio brass.

CodeUltraSounds wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:17 pm Hi Carl, going for Logic Pro X is a good move. You will find many things to like about it. The default configuration has some limitations. But we can help you surpass them, with some of the assets we usually give to our Arkeon clients.

I can DM you our Custom LPX template for Free. It will make your MIDI editing experience much better. With it you can do things like: Set MIDI note by Keyboard Shortcut and much, much more!

Just DM me to confirm your interest and I will send it to you. This is not a marketing effort of any kind, I'm personally trying to help you at no cost. :tu:
Thanks a lot for the offer. I really appreciate it and I might take up on your offer further on. But at this point, I think I need a couple of days/weeks to nail down the basics of operation first. It's interesting. When I left Cubase some ten years ago for Live, I felt Live was the coolest thing ever - and while I still think it's amazing, I do miss a "proper" linear arrangement view.

Again - thanks a bunch for your encouragement :)

/Carl
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

mrj1nx wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:14 pm Theres a bunch of features that are hidden by default, for example track freeze. Learn how to customize the transport, mix channels and arrange tracks to uncover stuff you might want to enable. Also, you have to do a manual key mapping to be able to mute a single clip individually with 'm' - highly recomended. Also be sure to enable the "capture midi" alternate record button. (It captures things you played while in playmode even if you didnt press record).

Also, theres a ton of tutorials on youtube for specific questions. Or just go ahead and ask here.

Btw congrats on getting on board with an awesome daw!
Great suggestions - especially the capture midi function. That's the one function in Live I barely can live without! :hihi: Maybe that was the reason why I couldn't go with Bitwig. Being able to capture ideas without recording is fantastic. Thanks!

/Carl

DrGonzo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:41 pm
mrj1nx wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:14 pm be sure to enable the "capture midi" alternate record button. (It captures things you played while in playmode even if you didnt press record).
Nice tip! Thanks mrj1nx. I didn't realise Logic had MIDI capture. It took me a couple of minutes to find the check box, so if anybody's scratching their head, I'll suggest that they right click over the transport controls, rather than digging through 'Preferences' (so long as those advanced options have been enabled). On first impression, it doesn't seem to be quite as slick as Ableton's capture (i.e. the transport has to be running for it to work) but I'm very glad it's there!

As for getting up and running with Logic, there's a lot of it and it can be hard to know where to begin. I'm no expert, but I have been learning my way around the place. I recommend picking apart the demo project. I usually ignore them but there's a Beck song included, and I found it useful to see how everything's set up. He uses a lot of vocal tracks that man.

Actually, I think I'd start by making some inspirational user channel strip settings. Software instruments with fx chains sounding good, audio tracks with your go-to settings and plug-ins set up already, and your favourite send fx as you like them, all neatly organised and ready to be picked up when you're flowing. Logic is fast to load things and if your favourite sounds are a click away, you'll feel right at home. Sensible names of course, and watch the levels! You can tweak stuff and save incrementally 'better' versions down the line, but I find it helpful to have a structure in place. Something to lean on.

Coming from Ableton, you will miss drum racks. I think that's inevitable. No getting around it. Logic's Drum Machine Designer (DMD) isn't all bad, but it's a weird thing that wasn't designed from the ground up. It's essentially a pretty skin covering an instance of ugly, ugly Ultrabeat with a bit of routing set up in the background - a workaround, really (with some infuriating quirks). Attempts to tame it can result in lost time, but it offers you a separate track for each pad, which is useful. If you go into the mixer view (click on the 'faders' icon up top) and then click on the little white triangle at the very bottom of the DMD channel strip, you'll see it expand out into a view where you can change your inserts, sends, pans and levels, and you'll be able to reroute/bus things however you like. Remapping pads within DMD is not straightforward, but you can insert a MIDI fx on the channel strip quite easily. It's quirky!

It might be worth considering a course at one of the many training sites, like macprovideo (askvideo), lynda (linkedin learning), udemy etc. I have no affiliations. They often run free 1-month trials at these places (and others) and even if not, if something saves you significant time it might be a good spend. There are so many courses out there for Logic that you can be picky and go with the teacher that you like the best. If you want a course. It's just an option.

If you have 30 units of currency left over, the MainStage AutoSampler is a great way of getting sounds into Logic, or any sampler for that matter.

Anyway, good luck. I hope you bond with it and make some stuff that makes you happy :)

Logic is so capable and the cost is so cheap. Best deal available for any DAW. Keeps getting developed in useful ways and I haven't had to pay a penny more for years.

One thing you will notice coming from Live is that Logic is more CPU efficient. Many of the included devices are superb.

Logic takes some learning as it is so deep and not everything is obvious (like the midi capture)... but it is worth it. I do recommend watching whatever free tutorial videos you can.

DrGonzo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:39 pm Thanks a lot for the offer...
You're welcome anytime. :tu:

And since I'm here, let me point you to another great LPX feature: The MIDI FX Plugins

Check them out, they are a creative power boost!

Here's a cool tip for anyone who wants to Capture/Export MIDI data from the LPX MIDI FX plugins:

This free plugin will do it for you: MIDI FX Freeze

Everybody thanks for sharing those cool LPX Tips. :clap:

Good Luck!

S.M
CodeUltra Sounds - Makers of ARKEON Join us on Instagram: Daily Production Tips, Cool Art, Synth Stories.

If you want to learn Logic thoroughly, I'd recommend David Nahmani's tutorial book. David also owns/runs 'Logicprohelp.com,' which is probably the best Logic resource on the planet.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

My approach to it was start learning the basics about recording then dive into one feature at a time. There’s so much it can do, but in many cases it takes a while to learn each feature fully.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:33 pm If you want to learn Logic thoroughly, I'd recommend David Nahmani's tutorial book. David also owns/runs 'Logicprohelp.com,' which is probably the best Logic resource on the planet.
Yes.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”