How do you decide/choose the Synths to replace your current ?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
xenophobic
KVRist
110 posts since 20 Mar, 2012

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:30 pm

I want to know how you all choose your new synths what are your criteria's for switching up.

Is it synthesis method,features,or old nostalgia of an emulated synth from the past?

right now my method is features, i am finding that all these synths are all the same clones of each other just different make-up on the same girl lol.

what i mean is that they are all capable of making bass,lead,and pad sounds so the only difference i find are does it come with built in FX ,or sample playback(rom/pcm style) combinations before adding it to my collection.

what drives you to buy ?

Karma_tba
KVRian
1072 posts since 12 Aug, 2004

Re: How do you decide/choose the Synths to replace your current ?

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:35 pm

xenophobic wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:30 pm
I want to know how you all choose your new synths what are your criteria's for switching up.

Is it synthesis method,features,or old nostalgia of an emulated synth from the past?

right now my method is features, i am finding that all these synths are all the same clones of each other just different make-up on the same girl lol.

what i mean is that they are all capable of making bass,lead,and pad sounds so the only difference i find are does it come with built in FX ,or sample playback(rom/pcm style) combinations before adding it to my collection.

what drives you to buy ?
Addiction.

Elektronisch
KVRAF
3443 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:05 am

I create a topic in the instruments forum asking people to tell me if Synth X is worth for me to buy. Simple.

Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
2635 posts since 17 Jan, 2017 from Planet of cats

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:15 am

A mighty space cat comes down from the skies and tickles me with a furry paw. That's when I know..

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
3269 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:18 am

I usually don't replace synths I already own. I only buy best things once I check them 10 times thorough.

Salesmen hate me, I know :help:
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Vortifex
KVRian
1455 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:30 am

I don't think I've ever actually bought a synth to replace one that I own, apart from when I first bought my DAW and had nothing except the stock instruments. I usually buy one when it offers something different to what I already have. For example, I already had virtual analogue synths when I bought Phonec 2, but Phonec 2 sounds different enough that I could never replace my other VAs with it. I own both Icarus and Synthmaster, but even though they are both wavetable synths there is enough difference in the sound and features that I couldn't replace one with the other without losing something that I wanted to keep.

whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27627 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:45 am

replace? what means this?
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
8732 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:08 am

xenophobic wrote:
Do you listen to them? Do they all sound alike?
Really? I don't know how that works. How, for example, do you equate the features in Aparillo with those of Synthmaster One? They have practically nothing in common.
what drives you to buy ?
Sound first, then ease-of-use. I don't really care about features, beyond making sure the basics are covered. My most recent purchase, Monoment Bass, is the perfect example - it is really pretty basic, with a fairly standard architecture, but it manages to sound quite different to a lot of my other synths so I felt it was worth picking up and I've found a few uses for it already.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), Zoom U24, Cubase, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Arcsyn, Synthmaster One, Aparillo, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2

felis
KVRian
568 posts since 25 Jul, 2009

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:42 am

I only replace hardware. When I stop using software it goes back to the same nothingness it came from.

I pick new software mostly by features now.
First thing I look for is if it can use release velocity as a
mod source in a matrix, so that narrows down the field considerably.
Sound is a major factor, of course. And I also consider whether I'm
already overloaded with a particular synthesis type.

neverbeeninariot
KVRist
217 posts since 3 Feb, 2015 from UK

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:03 am

xenophobic wrote:
Usually when Dan Worrall makes a video about it...

It varies though - sometimes I'm after a different synthesis method (additive, fm/pm, etc), sometimes the feature set surpasses what I already have, and sometimes 'ooooh shiny' (mostly the last one to be honest). At the moment, I have more than I can eat, but it's good to have a choice - sometimes dusting down an old(er) VST can be inspiring.

I don't replace anything, they sit in the vst folder, waiting patiently...

biscuitdough
KVRist
45 posts since 8 Jun, 2019

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:47 pm

Honestly I should exercise more care and concentrate on mastering a small number of synths rather than trying anything that sounds cool. Like, I downloaded HY-Mono after I sold my Telemark, but I sold my Telemark because I wasn't doing anything much with it in the first place, so why bother?

Dirtgrain
KVRist
290 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:03 pm

Wave table, additive, subtractive, and FM synthesizers of some sort? Maybe research the ones that best fit you in each category. Or find ones that can do multiple types well. Maybe a granular synth would be useful to you as well.

CrystalWizard
KVRian
880 posts since 10 Jul, 2008 from Orbit Sol III

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:08 pm

Replace? I’m still using some old synths. Got most everything covered except wavetable. If i were to buy anything at this point it would be Zebra. And nothing would be replaced, just added. My GAS wore off long ago, time to learn to use what i have.
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness

Return to “Instruments”