Noise cancelling headphones that reduce bass?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ill be at a festival soon and need to pick up some noisecancelling headphones so I can actually get to sleep when I want to and not be staring at the ceiling of my suv all night hearing the the psy trance basslines echoing in the night.

Yes I can buy some at walmart and need to since its too late to order something but all they say is they reduce decibels and mention nothing about the troubling sub bass frequencies that seem to travelling without end through anything (pillows, blankets). etc. Do these typical noise cancelling heaphones/gear reduce the subs??
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

like these
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Yes. They're designed to reduce airplane noise which is essentially a bass rumble.

I am referring to the quality, over-the-ear ones though.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

thanks, can you be more specific, brand/price range?

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:30 pm thanks, can you be more specific, brand/price range?
I'm a Sennheiser fan but Bose are quite good on planes, and therefore bass. They're not cheap though.... Expect to pay between $150 and $300 for good ones.

Those 20 dollars ones will be useless then?

What should I look for to compare, the decibel rating or is there something more scientific and accurate to gauge its effectiveness?

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:38 pm Those 20 dollars ones will be useless then?

What should I look for to compare, the decibel rating or is there something more scientific and accurate to gauge its effectiveness?
They say they're good for shooting so they could be ok. The technology is quite impressive and I can't see how they'd react quick enough for gunshots though.

With a little DIY initiative and sound careful planning, you can easily start soundproofing your pimp mobile while making it look better than ever. Aside from using professional materials made specifically for blocking noise, you can also use furniture, thick fabrics and foam. It just takes a little bit of money and time.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Noise cancelling headphones won’t help much. You probably want custom molded earplugs. Search for “Radians custom molded earplugs” on Amazon. They are diy and run for about 12 bucks.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

I got the impression those peltors shown are passive hearing protectors with no electronics. Which should be fine for trying to sleep in a noisy environment.

Just that they would be earmuffs not earphones. Peltor is generally a good brand.

It is true that closed headphones and even some protective over ear earmuffs can resonate bass and sometimes make some low frequencies seem louder.

Custom molded solid rubber plugs can be the most silent but even then you can have bone conduction bass, and sometimes loud bass bone conduction thumping caused by every footstep if you wear them while moving around out and about.

A "medium attenuation" flat freq response, comfortable earplug I like to wear attending loud concerts or playing any but the quietest gigs are etymotics er20 musicians earplugs. Sound good and they are cheep. Some other brands sell the same under license at sporting goods stores etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Fidelit ... B0044DEESS

Er20 sound great for balanced freq music listening plus modest loud sound protection.

However they do not have enough attenuation for safe use with loud big caliber guns or really loud power tools such as routers or wood board power planers.

Luckily the attenuation of plugs and muffs are additive. If you wear some er20 plugs under good quality shooting/work muffs like those passive peltors then you are well protected indeed.

And if you attend louder than snot concerts then you may decide it sounds better with er20 than naked ears. And your ears won't pop buzz and fizz all night and half the next day after the concert. Unless maybe a chemical was responsible for the ear noises. :)

I got so reliant on er20 I would panic if stuck at a loud gig, loud concert, or a day at NAMM and I forgot to bring the er20s.

Thanks guys. I'll probably go for the peltor and the high quality earplugs (if I can find them in asheville (a bigger city). Hopefully, one or both of these will be enough, haha.

TTU Youtube

Some years ago I bought some.er20 (under some other common noise protection brand name not the etymotics brand name) at an acadamy sports store in the guns dept hearing protection aisle. If you have an academy sports near Asheville. If not then surely Asheville has some other big stores catering to gun nuts.

Such a place would also have an assortment of over the ear muffs.

Too much information, but the combo I often used for shooting or loud power tools is er20 plus some Howard Leight electronic muffs with stereo mics that compress or shut down with loud noise. Can't recall which

They make electronic muffs that work both ways and for shooting or power tools it doesn't matter. The advantage of that combo is that I can turn them up loud enough to offset the attenuation of the er20 for quiet sounds such as speech, but when loud sound starts I get the protection of both muffs and plugs. So for speech it is like wearing nothing at all but then it is double protection when it gets loud and the muffs shut down.

Such wouldn't add any benefit for your intended use. For your sleeping scenario you would want to turn off electronic muffs so they won't amplify quiet sounds like far away concert sound woofers.

If I did much gigging anymore would probably get some of the newish etymotics active HiFi hearing protection earbuds. Like HiFi version of compressed electronic shooting muffs.

Exactly what I always wanted really. Hear perfect for talking to musicians and singers between songs, then it auto turns down keeping good fidelity when the stage gets too loud.

Didn't work, caught about an hour of sleep first night, then about 4-5 hours the 3rd day, just before the trip back.

Was able to pretty much milk then entire event for all its worth though, so it wasn't so bad :)

Took some nice pics if anyone is interested

TTU Youtube

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”