Shall I buy Kirnu Cream or something else?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. I am looking for a better arpeggiator than Cubase´s built in. I have tried the demo of Kirnu Cream and it is good enough, but I have found threads about low support and problems that has not been solved in a long time. So is it dead? Should I buy it or get something else. I have seen Cthulu and bluearp, but I just don't like their intefaces.
Last edited by GearNostalgia on Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HY Seq are awesome and so much fun. https://hy-plugins.com/plugins/vst/vst-instrument/

I own Cream but I use HY 10 times more. I love Seq Collection and MPS2
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

GearNostalgia wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:35 am I have seen Cthulu and bluearp, but I just don't like their intefaces.
Shame, because i find both more intuitive than Kirnu Cream.

Sugarbytes Thesys is great and the most powerful arp/seq around all in one page. Cthulhu has a multi-page interface and is deceptively flexible but switching pages kinda slows me down. HY Seq is fun.

I really would recommend to have a in detail look cause there has been so many new products coming up in this area, often blurring the boarders from arp/sequencer/song composer.

Just to name a few: hatefisch (hornet), chordpotion (sundog), Harvest.....not to mention all that M4L stuff or reason now joining in with all their stuff with the new rack version even if it dont support midi so far.....You really have the selection these days (which does not make decision easier :clown: ). One great easy one I forgot for kontakt: SARP (from Channel Robot) which is absolutely great if you just feed some chords in and it is even free.

I must say I prefer more simple and easy to use things in this case so I agree that I never really have get used to ctulhu and the like, blue arp I love some song-specific patches but use seldomn, HY still to explore, great that they have the free version which gives you good impressions.

I suppose the question you get into is just how much arpeggiator you need. Basic up/down/etc. stuff is built into a ton of synths. A lot of the things mentioned here are getting more into the role of sequencers or phrase generators (and if you're going in that direction you can start throwing things like Melody Sauce into the mix).

In terms of an all-purpose arp/sequencer, BlueArp should be able to handle it all, but the UI layout and colors... I agree, I bounce off it big time. Kirnu Cream has been broken for me for a while and I don't think I've come across a fix.

One thing to consider is Audiomodern Riffer, which both has some interesting randomized auto-generation and also serves as a quick and configurable piano roll-style arp sequencer if you just want to use it manually: quick to set ranges and program in notes, at least for me. I use it to sequence drums more than my regular DAW editor...

I'd also say that the HY-sequencers are quite impressive if you're willing to dive into them. The easiest one to get into for me has been SeqCollection2, which provides several different styles of sequencers, but it's definitely more into sequence-building than traditional arpeggiation.

the new Harvest has a great workflow, test it first but I think it is very very good. I also like Riffer a lot - I wish they would open up more parameters for automation but I use it all the time - often fed through Obelisk and then randARP from CodeFN42

I have Thesys but dont use it much, but it is good for sequencing automation in particular

ztrauq wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:11 am I suppose the question you get into is just how much arpeggiator you need.
Yep. I think it all bows down to that. Sometimes, for simple stuff, i also use Studio One's included arp. Otherwise, Xfer Cthulu.

I need something where I can draw in patterns quickly and "shapes" for modulation of CCs and velocity. Kirnu Cream works, but if it is buggy and dead I don't want to go there. So what comes closest?

If you buy a copy of Computer Music magazine you can download CreamCM from FileSilo.

GearNostalgia wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:08 pm I need something where I can draw in patterns quickly and "shapes" for modulation of CCs and velocity. Kirnu Cream works, but if it is buggy and dead I don't want to go there. So what comes closest?
Are you aware of Step Designer? It is inside Cubase. There you can do exactly that with notes and ccs.

Oh, sorry. Step Designer is a sequencer, but you want an arpeggiator.
Mulab's Mux has a very mighty sequencer who has a arp mode too.
Kirnu isn't buggy here. Good timing, good features (a lot) , but isn't something to press'n'go. You really have to learn it. It has some unusual paradigms and - did I wrote? - a lot of features.

ReverendLove wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:42 pm Oh, sorry. Step Designer is a sequencer, but you want an arpeggiator.
Mulab's Mux has a very mighty sequencer who has a arp mode too.
Kirnu isn't buggy here. Good timing, good features (a lot) , but isn't something to press'n'go. You really have to learn it. It has some unusual paradigms and - did I wrote? - a lot of features.
Ok, well I have read the threads about Kirnu beeing abandoned and they seem true cause the developer is prettyu inactive in his own support forum. That is why I am bothered with Kirnu. But thanx to this thread I found a lot of other cools stuff to try now.

ReverendLove wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:42 pm Mulab's Mux has a very mighty sequencer who has a arp mode too.
Mux was cool, but I could not get my head around how to use it to get midi-notes to other tracks and record the midi-data. Seems like it only work in the synths, right?

I had KCream CM version and it worked fine in Cubase. Then I bought the full version that was on sale and I couldn't get it to work, I can't remember what the issue was but either the plugin wouldn't open or it didn't pass the MIDI. The vendor contacted the developer and apparently it was a known problem and there wasn't an ETA for a fix so the vendor made a full refund. I guess C'thulu is the closest I have to that in terms of an arpegiator. I have Nora Squareheads CM but can't really recall it.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Effects”