too many synths too many presets =too much headache ??

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:58 pm
Tofu2019 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:23 pm
sl1914 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:59 pm You don't have to delete anything.
You can just decide not to use more than 1 or 2 synths for some projects.
Surely you will learn to know those synths better than before.

And maybe use other 1 or 2 synths in some later project.
if they are there though youll go through them
nope. exactly the same as I don't use the entire contents of my fridge and cupboards every time i make a meal.
depends how close to pay day it is ;)

vurt wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:08 pm

nope. exactly the same as I don't use the entire contents of my fridge and cupboards every time i make a meal.
what, even the marmite?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

f**king love marmite or veggiemite or bovril on toast yummy shit

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:12 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:08 pm

what, even the marmite?
marmite, rice and a half teaspoon of couscous.
half a carrot and some cheese.
20 mins in the oven.

you, sir, are not a vampyr at all are you?

Regarding presets, be ruthless, weed out the crap or the stuff that's for styles you never do...like those 59 Hoover presets. Make subfolders for a-list, b-list, c-list...where, like Hollywood actors, the a-list is thoroughly awesome inspiring stuff, the b-list is anything that doesn't make you go wow but is still potentially useful, and the c-list is just utter crap.
Go with your gut. Trust your gut. The best preset organizer is yourself and your own brain and taste. Built in preset browsers with tagging and 5 stars etc are great, but I still think you have to do the grind work yourself manually for the most cohesive slimmed-down system. We're all different, do what works for you.
Last edited by xalama qo on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

xalama qo wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:28 am you, sir, are not a vampyr at all are you?
no. nor do i claim to be!
otherwise, i would want people to feed me, whereas i implore you to not feed the undead!

Ah, my mistake. Carry on sir.
I have never met an undead. But if I do I won't feed it. Promise.

Maybe just a little rice and carrot and cheese to check if it's really an undead or just pretending.

For me, a great solution to "too many presets nightmare" is a Komplete Kontrol. I'm selecting presets and creating user banks for each vsti separately. It's time consuming but at the end... it speeds up a creative process. Komplete Kontrol finally convinced me to choose Maschine as major DAW for production purposes.

Tofu2019 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:33 pm does being minimal help you get creative ?
Being minimal in the right ways certainly is a help.

I prefer synths with a simple architecture, intentional limitations, and their own particular character. In hardware, no patch memory -- just let me dial in everything and get an intuitive feel for it. Microbrute and Reface CS are both really good for that.

I do use Eurorack modular, but with some discipline. I practice a sort of minimalism with it, even though the resulting sound can be full and complex. Patches can look busy and confusing, but they're not if you have learned the gear and you go through the process of patching yourself. I can set up a nice FM bass with it in less time than some people would spend browsing presets.

In software (synths or effects) I often don't need any presets at all, though sometimes a few are helpful to act as a guide or shortcut to tweaking. Two of my favorite and most used software synths are Aalto and LuSH-101 (only using one layer).

That's what I do. Often 1 workhorse synth is enough to get job done, but I often try another one to add some extra flavor. Either way, you need to figure out where you're going before you get down to a synth - or you never get there.

"Too many presets" is another topic - I'd recommend to get a preset manager, without it you may never be able to actually check what presets all your synths already offer.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

So ive started in reason I’ve made some best of folders for thor europa etc , and for tal uno lx I’ve purged over half the presets paid for or not and made them into one best of folder with bass lead etc , preset surfing around my house has gotta stop lol.

Tofu2019 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:12 pm So ive started in reason I’ve made some best of folders for thor europa etc , and for tal uno lx I’ve purged over half the presets paid for or not and made them into one best of folder with bass lead etc , preset surfing around my house has gotta stop lol.
get rid of everything and buy a kazoo.
minimalism cubed.

vurt wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:16 pm
Tofu2019 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:12 pm So ive started in reason I’ve made some best of folders for thor europa etc , and for tal uno lx I’ve purged over half the presets paid for or not and made them into one best of folder with bass lead etc , preset surfing around my house has gotta stop lol.
get rid of everything and buy a kazoo.
minimalism cubed.
if I get rid of everything how will I record it ? will I just play in the parks for spare change ?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”