TB-303 Emulators

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ABL sounded a bit flat to me. Sorry.

Phoscyon had a bit more 'grit' to it.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy ABL, but Phoscyon is still pretty amazing. It has a lot of options.

It's interesting how quite a few other people have said that ABL sounds a bit 'flat'.

So many years spent listening to this sound. It's not a case of 'did you have a real 303 to compare it to?'.

I'm kind of sick of the sound anyway. Maybe I won't buy that ABL after all.

Phoscyon is enough for me. (but I do love the ABL interface)

Phoscyon is $35 on JRRShop at the moment. Just sayin'.

https://www.jrrshop.com/d16-phoscyon

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

Invader_From_Mars wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:43 pm Hi

I'm looking for recommendations for a 303 emulator. Ideally a free one :)

I've used FreeBee, Venom, Creakbox and Rubberduck so far, all with varying degrees of success.

I'm especially looking for one which can allow me to program irregular step patterns (anything other than 4,8 or 16) and is fairly easy to program. Venom is the only one I've encountered that will allow me to do this but I find it an absolute nightmare to program properly. The other 3 are more user friendly but they don't have this capacity. :(

I would appreciate any guidance on this at all.

Thanks
Rubber duck!!! Is that still around? I made most of my first tracks with rubber duck. Is there a vst version?

Anyhow. Phosycon is totally adequate for my 303 needs currently. It’s worth checking out. I got a good deal on it when I bought it. The biggest pluses for me are the flexibility of the sequencer and the fun distortion. I have actually found NI FM8 to do a pretty rad 303 sound if you aren’t looking for a full on emulation.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:24 pm
Invader_From_Mars wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:43 pm Hi

I'm looking for recommendations for a 303 emulator. Ideally a free one :)

I've used FreeBee, Venom, Creakbox and Rubberduck so far, all with varying degrees of success.

I'm especially looking for one which can allow me to program irregular step patterns (anything other than 4,8 or 16) and is fairly easy to program. Venom is the only one I've encountered that will allow me to do this but I find it an absolute nightmare to program properly. The other 3 are more user friendly but they don't have this capacity. :(

I would appreciate any guidance on this at all.

Thanks
Rubber duck!!! Is that still around? I made most of my first tracks with rubber duck. Is there a vst version?

Anyhow. Phosycon is totally adequate for my 303 needs currently. It’s worth checking out. I got a good deal on it when I bought it. The biggest pluses for me are the flexibility of the sequencer and the fun distortion. I have actually found NI FM8 to do a pretty rad 303 sound if you aren’t looking for a full on emulation.

Don't think there was ever a vst version of Rubberduck. Just like Hammerhead Rhythm Station.

Phosycon is totally adequate for my 303 needs currently.

Phoscyon is all you need. It's an amazing 303 representation. All these people saying 'oh you need ABL3 to relive the days of your callow acid youth' well...

In fact, it needs saying again, ABL3 sounds flat. Phoscyon actually sounds a bit livelier, like a real 303! :o

Phosycon has a boat load of options. I love it. I'll still get ABL3 at some point. But there's not much between them. Even ReBirth does a decent emulation. And that was from the last century. I think D16 have probably caught up a bit since then.

If there is any difference between ABL3 and Phoscyon, it's a cat's whisker.

Hammerhead was great as well. I used to make a ton of loops in rubberduck, hammerhead and vaz, and then arrange them all up in cool edit.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I'll be buying one of them very soon...probably Abl. The final choice ultimately will be useability, and Abl just seems a bit more user friendly. I remember my 303 days, and 2 things:
1. The sequencer was part of the magic...it came up with many random gems for me. Often completely different to what I started out trying to achieve.
2. That sequencer was a complete pita. I hated it.

Still have a 202, and I still hate the sequencer (same process as a 303). In fact, I rarely use the 202 any more simply because it's such a bitch to get going. When I was closely looking at Phoscyon and Abl, tbh the sounds were both close enough to make me very happy. But Abl seemed far more sensible to use 30 years on from the decidely archaic original interface. I got the overall impression that if you were obsessive about sound emulation, then Phoscyon edged it, just. If useability became more important, Abl won hands down. I don't want to have to go through a 3 step process to get a sequence, with no visual clues every time I just want to have fun with a silver box.

Someone here mentioned Phoscyon being a bit thin higher up...to me that reinforces its credentials as a sound emulator. Real 303s lost pretty well all of the bass end if you cranked up the res and then swept it. That's not a fault, it's just what they do. As for clicks...I don't remember ever hearing clicks with a 303. You do with 101s and 202s if set a certain way because they had very quick envelopes.

Ultimately to me...both emus do the sound exceptionally well. Phoscyon wins in some areas, but Abl looks to me considerably easier to use, which wins. I'm quite looking forward to getting it...it'll be nice to do some proper old acid music without wanting to smash the irritating silver box every time it refuses to cooperate because the sequencer f**ked up your flow of ideas and slowed you down (one of the main reasons I sold mine back in the day)...I sort of regret selling it and sort of don't. That's the thing with a 303...mst owners re conflicted with them, whereas I just don't see a down side with Abl. Dunno, I might even buy both. Abl to use, Phoscyon to keep me on my toes.

Another vote for ABL3. Simply the best :) I liked it even more after checking some hardware 303 clones at SuperBooth in Berlin this year.

Very happy ABL3 user here!

ABL sounds great, very useable interface. Disagree with the comments about it sounding flat. It replaced my hardware clone and I haven't looked back. Fulfills my acid needs nicely.

Definitely gets my vote :tu:

Im sure many people compare ABL3 to phosycon while using phosycon with it’s built in distortion. ABL3 + in depth distortion like a multi band is where it’s at. ABL3 vs clean phosycon; ABL3 wins. ABL3 + distortion vs phosycon with distortion; ABL3 still sounds better. With that said, it’s minute differences. A lot of acid was made with other units like SH101, and it still sounded good. TB303 connoisseurs border fetishism, but with good reason.

Like always. :D

It's fine though, I do understand it. What's the point in emulating when you're not going for the most authentic sound?

antto wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:24 pm
ENV1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:02 pm Really didnt have to do that, but his philosophy was (is) that when you use a 303 you should strictly use the internal sequencer, and this passwordy-naggery was sorta meant to turn people off of using pianoroll MIDI, which he somehow considered 'wrong'. Question is only why he added the option at all then, but i guess we will never know.
here's why it has midiplay mode: viewtopic.php?p=5746081#p5746081

now, 2019, when 303 clones are discussed and talked about, i see more and more people appreciating the sequencer as one of the key components of the 303 "experience", the situation was not so back in 2013-ish, where i had to constantly explain and argue that the sequencer is very important
so, maybe i helped spread this word a bit (i hope so), i feel good about the current situation in any case
If I am using ABL3, will I get different results from using the built-in sequencer than sending notes over MIDI? It sounds the same to me either way.
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

acid alex wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:00 pmIf I am using ABL3, will I get different results from using the built-in sequencer than sending notes over MIDI? It sounds the same to me either way.
i've found that it's far more "fluid" when using the internal sequencer, which you'll notice when using (for example) a 16 step pattern and triggering it with a MIDI note that's two bars long. the pattern flows very smoothly from the first to the second bar, but is "reset" when the note triggers it again after the second bar. if sending MIDI notes i'm guessing it would be similar to that, not quite as smooth as when using the sequencer. another approach is just letting the sequencer run free sync'd to the host tempo, that way it doesn't reset at all.

i think? haven't really tested/compared it too much, just something that i noticed.

some sequencer allows you to sequence accent and tie (to glide from one note to another )

Dune 3, Hive 2

Return to “Instruments”