VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Welcome and 'sorry' to find it :)
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:29 pm Welcome and 'sorry' to find it :)
rsp
Don’t be sorry - the exact opposite!! Good bug reports make good software and all this feedback is super useful. We have a change to the LV2 which came in also so we will probably do a micro-point release in next couple of weeks. If you have a github account (or want to make one) subscribe to that issue and I’ll tag when it’s closed in the nightlies also.

zvenx wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:29 pm Welcome and 'sorry' to find it :)
rsp
I have a fix to this bug. We have a few other small bug reports coming in as people try the new release (as always). My guess is we will do a point release 1.6.2.1 sometime Sunday night or Monday which fixes this and one or two other things.

If you can't wait that long, the nightly should have the fix in about an hour. You can always grab our latest build from https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/ but the nightly may have bugs and problems at any time which we strive to not have in the labeled releases.

:) Thanks Bacon, surely I can wait.
This was a testing bug for me.
I did it the first time and the GUI froze, in that I couldn't change to another preset (thinking about it, it was probably creating the folder and subfolders at this point) so to replicate it I tried it again and noticed the second folder.
Surely I can wait though.
thanks so much.
rsp
sound sculptist

Stupid Question 101.
Is anyone getting modwheel, pitchbend and/or aftertouch to work?
I am spending some time with it and can't seem to get modwheel, pitchbend or aftertouch to do anything, even when I modify a patch radically.
So I said maybe I dont remember how to do it with surge, so I cranked up the 1.5.3 and sure enough my modifications of a patch with pitchbend, modwheel and channel aftertouch work fine.

Cubase 10, OS X.14.6, vst3
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:37 am Stupid Question 101.
Is anyone getting modwheel, pitchbend and/or aftertouch to work?

Cubase 10, OS X.14.6, vst3
rsp
The answer in cubase is to use the VST2 not the VST3 for now

Here's our compatibility know issues wiki

https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/su ... tibilities

I think I know why Surge VST3 doesn't work with those items in cubase as I mentioned on Slack.

Ah hah. thanks.
There ends my plan to keep the 1.5.3 build as vst2 simultaneously with the vst3 build of yours.
thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:00 am Ah hah. thanks.
There ends my plan to keep the 1.5.3 build as vst2 simultaneously with the vst3 build of yours.
thanks
rsp
Ahh bummer yeah. Like I said: I need a working version of cubase to fix the problem but I do think I know what the problem is, so I could apply the fix, make sure the VST3 still works in reaper and bitwig, then ask folks to test it. Just that’s a super inefficient way to work.

Just went to the vember audio site at github, and on the About page, it says that Claes is too busy with other projects. It doesn't say who Vember Audio is today, or who is working on Surge. So that's quite an introduction of a team/product. Makes me really want to use it. Not.

Hi baconpaul,
http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/doc_0.html
this page by zynaddsubfx author has some ideas about improving sound quality,might be interesting to read.

perfumer wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:30 am Just went to the vember audio site at github, and on the About page, it says that Claes is too busy with other projects. It doesn't say who Vember Audio is today, or who is working on Surge. So that's quite an introduction of a team/product. Makes me really want to use it. Not.
Then don't use it.

kone2006 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:52 pm Hi baconpaul,
http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/doc_0.html
this page by zynaddsubfx author has some ideas about improving sound quality,might be interesting to read.
Oh thanks that's an interesting doc. It's possible to do some of those things in surge (like you can modulate the filter cutoff or resonance with velocity and combine with keytrack to kill high harmonics) and with the new release a few more are possible (we actually added both an absolute and relative pitch shift on the oscillator), but some of that more advanced spectrum hacking stuff is hard. Appreciate you sharing it!

Just an FYI folks - we had a few bug reports come in over the weekend on 1.6.2 and will probably do a 1.6.2.1 point release this week. If you have bug-like-things you've noticed in the new download, letting us know today or tomorrow would be appreciated.

(The bugs we found so far were: (1) I accidentally disabled the extend range menu on the oscillator pitch control; (2) the bug reported above with user category names matching factory category names; (3) a situation in linux where you could crash if you didn't have a helper application installed and; (4) a minor cosmetic change to a menu we just forgot to ship into 1.6.2)

perfumer wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:30 am Just went to the vember audio site at github, and on the About page, it says that Claes is too busy with other projects. It doesn't say who Vember Audio is today, or who is working on Surge. So that's quite an introduction of a team/product. Makes me really want to use it. Not.
There is no 'who Vember Audio is today', Surge is Open Source now and that means it is not owned (in a commercial way) by anyone (putting it simple here for you to understand, it's a bit more complicated actually). The fact that there actually IS a website where you can download a maintained product is because people (like baconpaul) work on it for free so you can have a very nice synthesizer for free. This is called 'community driven development'. That actually makes me really want to use it YES!!! ... and I actually do. Surge is currently at the top of the list of free plugin synths :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Alright we just released 1.6.2.1 which contains a few fixes, including fixing an MPE feature that never worked, addressing some menus, fixing a crash on Linux. https://surge-synthesizer.github.io as always

We have a small list of small bugs and a big list of feature ideas, but the only big bug we have unresolved is midi controllers and pitch wheels in cubase with the VST3. We fully intend to try and fix that in an upcoming release.

Enjoy

Return to “Instruments”