Vienna Synchron player - good or bad?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
GearNostalgia
KVRist
306 posts since 28 Dec, 2017

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:41 pm

I am still on my quest to find a good orchestral tool setup for me. Vienna Synchron came up as a contender, but is it good? Please share your experiences. Does it consume more CPU, more RAM than Kontakt? Does it sound better? And so forth...

Ian Mackie
KVRer
7 posts since 23 Sep, 2019

Re: Vienna Synchron player - good or bad?

Post Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:42 pm

As know one has chipped in here...

Even though I´m about to sell most of my Vienna libraries, I´ve played around with the Synchron player and I find it very useful to quickly put sounds together. It´s intuitive to finding ideas quickly.

The menu system in the synchron player allows you very quickly to see if a sound ´fits´ what you´re looking for, so if you don´t work with huge DAW templates, I think its a great way to find the instruments and sound you´re looking for quickly.

CPU wise if I load up a violins legato patch and play some notes quickly the CPU guage within the synchron player is around 3-5%. Perhaps someone else who is running the synchron player across a big template could help here?

What you have to realise is like every orchestral library with room ambient built into the samples, i.e. Spitfire recording their samples at Air Studios, Orchestral Tools at Teldex in Berlin, the Vienna team are using the Synchron Stage in Vienna. Each has their own distinctive sound, so for me it´s more important to choose the type of sound I like.

The synchron sound is very clean, very cinematic and classical at the same time.

jancivil
KVRAF
19029 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:36 am

I love it. I haven't measured resources usage, but 'more than Kontakt' obviously depends on what you're doing with Kontakt; if we're talking bigass orch libraries, VSL uses FAR less ram in general than Orchestral Tools, big Spitfire et al.

Synchron mixer is fantastic.
Big Bang Orchestra is free and gives all the options of the mixer/the room, incl. Surround and High so that's a great demo of the paradigm. You have the fullest control of close to distant available in any sample player easily. It comes with presets eg,. "Ambient" and "Wide" which are what they say on the tin.

Some are great sticklers for the dry stage recordings of the older paradigm but I find the close mics so dry it isn't a meaningful distinction in practice.

Ah_Dziz
KVRAF
2668 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:12 am

I don’t have any of the newer VSL libraries, but in my experience their software is as stable and efficient as any other platform out there.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:19 am

As to room sound, I think 'clean' is a good way to put it. Spitfire is to me cloudy and brown.
VSL has a preset in their Hybrid Reverb for the late reflection characteristics of Synchron so if you tamp down early reflections of other rooms in other libraries you might get away with it, but Spitfire presents a bit of a problem because most of it is never really dry.

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:26 am

"running the synchron player across a big template"
I don't watch CPU percentages really at all. In my most recent completed work, I'm using six instances of Synchron in a large framework; 3 use the full mixer, the other three only use basic channels and use impulses per section/channel instead.

in the later versions of VE Pro 6 Synchron Player introduced some stability issues, caught by their programmer in our correspondence regarding the new automation in VEP 7 and promptly fixed.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”