What’s the oldest VSTi you still use today ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I forgot I still use Rapture and Z3ta. Rapture is one of my favorites.

Not sure if I already posted but here goes. Oldest VST's that have been in my setup since the release and made it with every reinstall:
Waldorf PPG v2
EMU Emulator (X3)
Waldorf D-Pole
G-Force Imposcar (v2)
Novation V-Station
Korg M1, Korg Wavestation and MDE-X
Ohmforce effects
Camel Audio effects
Steinberg Karlette

V-Station was actually missing from my standard installation for quite some time but after it was given away in a magazine my interest in it returned.
No signature here!

Oldest synth I have used extensively has to be WASP by Synapse Audio / Image-Line. Been Using it ever since FL5 over 10 years.

Also for those who say Neon... how can you actually use that?! The most important aspect of a synth are the oscillators and filters - and Neon has crappy oscillators and a crappy filter. If you look at the square and saw waveforms - it has almost no harmonics... the waveforms are cheaply made using very few sine partials, so there are no high end frequencies.

cyrb wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:57 pm.
Also for those who say Neon... how can you actually use that?! The most important aspect of a synth are the oscillators and filters - and Neon has crappy oscillators and a crappy filter. If you look at the square and saw waveforms - it has almost no harmonics... the waveforms are cheaply made using very few sine partials, so there are no high end frequencies.
the ability to use neon as a punchline is not diminished by its simplicity and shite sound :)

I'm not sure which is older: Crystal or KLC WaveStation. Both see equal use, along with Padshop Pro.

I'm modern retro!!!
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

cyrb wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:57 pm Oldest synth I have used extensively has to be WASP by Synapse Audio / Image-Line. Been Using it ever since FL5 over 10 years.

Is it possible to get WASP somewhere? I used to love the IL version.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Are we talking about actual age, as in never updated, or do updates not count?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Halonmusic wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:49 pm Is it possible to get WASP somewhere? I used to love the IL version.
It's no longer for sale, but comes bundled with modern FL in FLi format. So locked to that DAW. But you may find a demo installer for VSTi floating around on WaybackMachine.

Also, the Orion DAW ended up having an exclusive version of Wasp XT called Wasp MkV (Mark V). It added a couple of new knobs like a "Fat" knob for OSC1 :hihi:. Unfortunately IL users never got that incarnation, and Orion was discontinued ages ago, but it was nothing you couldn't get with a simple external chorus added. It was originally IL who licensed Wasp from them.
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:58 pm Are we talking about actual age, as in never updated, or do updates not count?
Good point. But I don't think updates count, just specific incarnation. Like Toxic Biohazard went through many iterations from eJ, Toxic 1.0, "Toxic 2.5", then Toxic 3, then Biohazard. Each new version introduced new features and new incompatibilities with older versions. So eJ is from 2004, Toxic 3 was around 2006 and Biohazard 2008, so context matters...

But something like SimSynth in FL Studio had new updates to the GUI, but the original sound engine is unchanged. So technically using SimSynth in FL 20.5 has the same synth engine as the one from FL 2.0 20 years ago - sounds made back then sound the same, just using new 64-bit code and a vectorized UI.

Some very old synths that were first released before other synths, ended up receiving updates even after those newer synths got discontinued.

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:58 pm Are we talking about actual age, as in never updated, or do updates not count?
Good question. No idea why Reaktor is mentioned so often. I mean, unless you still use Reaktor 1, Reaktor 6 is pretty current.

cyrb wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:13 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:49 pm Is it possible to get WASP somewhere? I used to love the IL version.
It's no longer for sale, but comes bundled with modern FL in FLi format. So locked to that DAW. But you may find a demo installer for VSTi floating around on WaybackMachine.

Also, the Orion DAW ended up having an exclusive version of Wasp XT called Wasp MkV (Mark V). It added a couple of new knobs like a "Fat" knob for OSC1 :hihi:. Unfortunately IL users never got that incarnation, and Orion was discontinued ages ago, but it was nothing you couldn't get with a simple external chorus added. It was originally IL who licensed Wasp from them.
Thanks. I do have FL Studio 11 but stopped using it years ago. Maybe i should start using it again just for WASP :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:32 pm Thanks. I do have FL Studio 11 but stopped using it years ago. Maybe i should start using it again just for WASP :)
Keep in mind FL comes with VST verison and Rewire, so you can control it through another host. I did that (Rewire) with Orion just to play with the old 'WaveFusion' synth built into Orion. :)

Edit: Unfortunately Orion is buggy as a ReWire client, probably why they removed it in 8.5... It only reacts to MIDI messages on channel 1, and often 'forgets' MIDI learn. So that is sad :( But as long as you don't need to automate any parameters or pitch bend, it will work on all 16 channels.
Last edited by cyrb on Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SyntheticAurality wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:50 pm I'm not sure which is older: Crystal or KLC WaveStation. Both see equal use, along with Padshop Pro.

I'm modern retro!!!
Korg WaveStation VST 1.0 was included in the very first version of the KLC. It was released the 1st January 2004.

GreenOak Crystal 1.0 was released in March 2001.

:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:41 pm GreenOak Crystal 1.0 was released in March 2001.
Yes I remember Crystal. In that time, there were few good free synths and Crystal was one of them. It was like poor man's Absynth. Anyway, I was in the Yahoo group that time and the developer was active answering all warshippers questions, but he chose to ignore mine :( So I was very disappointed and the rest is easy to guess :hihi:

Sylenth1, Wavestation, M1, Z3Ta, NI Pro 53, Absynth, Reaktor 4-5, V-Station - using them time after time)
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

Return to “Instruments”