Unfiltered Audio Lion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:04 pm
muki wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:59 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:46 pm And is that for buying direct from the plugin maker?
that is for buying directly from plugin-alliance
those codes are plugin alliance codes
Ah OK cheers.

Re people saying the worst presets. I'd say Melda's MSoundFactory although it's still in beta so I'm hoping the stupid random word named fairly useless presets aren't indicative of the final released product. I haven't used their other synth, MPowerSynth. Does that come with decent presets?
Nope - same issue

thelizard wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:17 pm (not the least of which was finding out that one of our cars won't start after the tropical storm hit).
that storm looks rough. the flooding is massive. i hope you're all doing ok. i know it's quite a serious situation for a lot of people.

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:19 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:04 pm
muki wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:59 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:46 pm And is that for buying direct from the plugin maker?
that is for buying directly from plugin-alliance
those codes are plugin alliance codes
Ah OK cheers.

Re people saying the worst presets. I'd say Melda's MSoundFactory although it's still in beta so I'm hoping the stupid random word named fairly useless presets aren't indicative of the final released product. I haven't used their other synth, MPowerSynth. Does that come with decent presets?
Nope - same issue
Rats. Oh well, hopefully there'll be a few decent third party sets available when it's released.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I find that a Clock Divider is missing for modifiers Category in order to delay or slow them down, accelerate them, on the fringes of those that are synchronized.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.9 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

thelizard wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:17 pm Hi, yes, sorry for the few days absence. I went to a family wedding while having a million other issues crop up (not the least of which was finding out that one of our cars won't start after the tropical storm hit).
I hope you guys aren't too badly hit by the storm...

...but Y U NO HAS MIDI CC SUPPORT????

MPE is nice and all that but in a synth where you've got an entire paraphonic FX and filter section that's really set up for modulation it's a bit mad that you can't wire a breath or foot controller into the matrix. I've only got two hands and having access to those extra controllers is dead, um, handy.

I imagine it would make the core MIDI block a bit overwhelming to have a bunch of CCs in there but, given there is a dedicated ROLI Lightpad block, is there any chance of doing something similar to that for regular MIDI CCs? I'd be happy with a three-way controller block that supports, say breath, foot and expression though it's probably better to have CC# control over the sliders in a block like that.

On the filters thing that others have mentioned. For monophonic playing, you can at least do the high-pass into low-pass thing for basses that will beef them up a bit by importing a filter into the paraphonic section. However, I don't think that's ever going to be the sweet spot for this synth. The oscillator combiners are great – it's one of those things that sets DiscoDSP's Corona and these go a lot further. However, a lot of the power, like Phase Plant comes down to the way that you can bring in FX modulation in a semi-modular way. So, it's probably going to work out like Absynth or Aparillo where you can use it for cinematic beds and soundscape work more than for bread'n'butter lead and bass, though with the MPE I've found you can make some really nice organic-sounding polyphonic leads in a matter of seconds. Simply swapping in the Ringo and wiring up things like shape and filter to the MPE controllers got me a kind of naturalistic harmonica/accordion really quickly.

I can't afford it, even with my voucher. Code's yours if you want it. Please reply to let others know you've taken it!

LION-99-INTRO-FSTX
Always Read the Manual!

Dissentuk wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:54 pm Anyone else struggling to get a basic punchy pluck sound? I normally do this to test out the quality of the filters and am only getting a weak quite flat sound.

I tried bypassing onboard filters/envelopes and putting cytomics the drop after lion triggering with midi and am getting very punchy nice sounds so its clearly not a problem with the lions oscillators(which have very impressive possibilities!)

no issue like this with u-he synths or massive x etc. maybe needs some more filter/envelope love? anyone?
Hm, I'm getting very punchy envelopes in Lion -- if you set the ADSR decay to the maximum exponential decrease curve and then set the sustain level pretty low (below 50%) it gets quite punchy.

Another point I'd make is that - with apologies to the recent controversial synthesizer that is marketed as being modular but isn't (although I really do like Massive X!) - Lion truly is semi-modular. It's very easy to set up signal flows that are in between a deterministic synth and a modular synth. In particular, random triggering of amplitude envelopes with cycling envelopes hooked to various parameters is a lot of fun; this instrument will play itself if you let it.

muki wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:21 pm i can't help but being under the impression, that this product has been rushed out

the lack of devine/stockhausen presets, who normally make presets for most of UA plugins,
semms to me an indication as quite some small and little bugs or misbehaviours
This kind of speculation isn't really helpful. Richard is a good friend of ours. He loved LION, but he's super busy working on Google's Stadia project: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/blog ... rview.html

PieBerger wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 pm I can't afford it, even with my voucher. Code's yours if you want it. Please reply to let others know you've taken it!

LION-99-INTRO-FSTX
Thank you so much. It worked here

Phil B wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:02 pm
PieBerger wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 pm I can't afford it, even with my voucher. Code's yours if you want it. Please reply to let others know you've taken it!

LION-99-INTRO-FSTX
Thank you so much. It worked here
:tu:
Always Read the Manual!

muki wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:19 pm
nordickvr wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:49 pm
muki wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:21 pm ...
are the developers reading this thread?
Yes.
@thelizard
ah, cool!

some first findings:

tooltip for MIDI input
@ N it reads:
"Note: normalized value of the mini Note […]"

i suppose "mini" should rather be "MIDI", n'est pas?

ditto for V - Velocity

-----
copy/paste for modulators would be nice

------
no undo ???
logic's undo kinda works...occasionally...mostly not...
imho every synth needs a dedicated multistep undo/redo
--------
there is something funky with the openGL implementation (on mac):

turning openGL off, seems to cure the problem

speaking of:
isn't apple going to drop openGL next month ?
Thanks for the reports!

"MIDI/mini" fixed.

To others: Latin placeholder in the manual is fixed.

Modulators have Duplicate (when right-clicking on their header) instead of copy-paste. Copy-paste on Effects is there because of Triad (which has multiple rows).

Undo is weird... BYOME and Modulation rows don't have per-knob parameters, so the DAW is unaware of those knob states. Undo will work on top-section synth controls, but not those.

OpenGL is a whole other mess. With OpenGL enabled, it's attempting to use your integrated graphics to render. You have a 2012 Mac, so I'm wondering if it's just strangling the graphics callback. If OpenGL off works for you, just keep it disabled. The only thing to note is that then uses your CPU for rendering, so you might see a higher baseline with the GUI open.

thelizard wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:42 pm
This kind of speculation isn't really helpful. ...
yes, sorry...
maybe i was just a little bit dissapointed to not find any of his great presets...
apologies - point taken

amwk wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:04 pm To the UA-Team and concerning the "cutting off of internal effects at the end of a midi loop"-bug in Bitwig that I reported (see s.39).

I made some more testing and found out that this cutting off only appears at the end of the Arrangement Loop and not at the end of a Clip Loop.
That means that if I am only working with the Clip Launcher I just turn the Arrangement Loop off and I have no problems.
But: when I am working in the Arrangement and for some reasons the Arrangement Loop has to be on,
or: when I am playing back from the Clip Launcher and the Arrangement at the same time with e.g. some fx-files running in the Arrangement in a loop (something I do often when playing live), then I have to deal with this effect cutting off-problem - because although being played back from the Clip Launcher, LION's internal effects are cut off at the end of the Arrangement Loop.

I sent a report to PA-Support about that and also made three screen capture videos for them to demonstrate this cutting off.
Contact me if you want me to send you the report and the videos too.
Thanks! I'm combing through the past few days of messages on here. If you send it to contact [at] unfilteredaudio, that would be helpful. PA will get those to us as well, but I could keep you updated and open a thread with Bitwig.

thelizard wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:42 pm
Thanks for the reports!
it's a pleasure! :-)

>"MIDI/mini" fixed.

super
:tu:

>Modulators have Duplicate (when right-clicking on their header) instead of copy-paste. C

ah, i see - yes works great

OOOPS!
just got a massive complete logicX crash while playing with duplicate/remove/duplicate etc etc modulators...

saved the crash report
tell me where to send it, if interested - don't want to clutter the thread here...

>Undo is weird...

yes
i saw, that logicX's undo might occassionally "understand" rotaryknobs in the upper section
(osc/mix/output) not in the others

would be nice though imho...future release?

esp with a synth with so many variables and ways to go, it would be good
to have some means of "going back" so to say...

>OpenGL is a whole other mess. ...

yes...kind of strange and inconsistent: sometimes no problems at all
then, all of the sudden a massive systemwide graphics slowdown
closing the lion-window helps imediatly

surprised me a little bit because all of the other UAplugins (i have all exept byome/triad) do not show this symptom

switching openGL off, does not seem to have a higher cpu hit as far as i can see...

another thing, that happened today and maybe related:
having the lion window open suddenly resulted in fans going up (3500rpm vs 1790)
no sound played
system cpu was just about 2%
closing the window brought the fans down again

well,
thanks for your replies

i found a few other things - will report later
there's a cosmetic gui-thingie which irritates me... ;-)

cheers,

thelizard wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:11 pm
amwk wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:04 pm To the UA-Team and concerning the "cutting off of internal effects at the end of a midi loop"-bug in Bitwig that I reported (see s.39).

I made some more testing and found out that this cutting off only appears at the end of the Arrangement Loop and not at the end of a Clip Loop.
That means that if I am only working with the Clip Launcher I just turn the Arrangement Loop off and I have no problems.
But: when I am working in the Arrangement and for some reasons the Arrangement Loop has to be on,
or: when I am playing back from the Clip Launcher and the Arrangement at the same time with e.g. some fx-files running in the Arrangement in a loop (something I do often when playing live), then I have to deal with this effect cutting off-problem - because although being played back from the Clip Launcher, LION's internal effects are cut off at the end of the Arrangement Loop.

I sent a report to PA-Support about that and also made three screen capture videos for them to demonstrate this cutting off.
Contact me if you want me to send you the report and the videos too.
Thanks! I'm combing through the past few days of messages on here. If you send it to contact [at] unfilteredaudio, that would be helpful. PA will get those to us as well, but I could keep you updated and open a thread with Bitwig.
Following up on this: this is now fixed for the next beta. This was happening with all UA plugins, not just LION. It occurred in DAWs where a loop brace was enabled and the start point was the very beginning of a track.

Return to “Instruments”