IK MUltimedia UNO Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UNO Synth

I'm charging up a fresh set of batteries to test, but in the meantime, do you have a multimeter to check the battery connections? Might be hard to reach all the way inside, but you can attach a wire to the probe to extend it.

zakufan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:35 am my uno stopped working with AA batteries. USB power works fine though. Anyone has this problem before?
I just replicated this problem. Looks like there's now an air gap that developed somehow, making the batteries not complete a circuit. I remedied it temporarily by adding a conductive shim between the accessible contact and the leftmost (battery compartment at top) battery. I think whatever is on the inaccessible end is malfunctioning, possibly a spring that isn't pushing hard enough (I have no idea as I cannot see what is there).

I have not abused my Uno. In fact, it's been more or less sitting immobile on the same flat surface since I got it.

I just checked mine and it is working fine on the batteries I put in it when I bought it last year. Interestingly, when you run it on batteries the USB hum goes away.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:06 am This thread was in danger of falling off the first page of my "My Forum Topics" page so I thought I'd better say some more about how good Uno Synth is. It's really good. Honest. I've decided I am going to sell both my Waldorf synths - Pulse 2 and Rocket - and get a second Uno. I can't wait to get up on stage with this new set-up, complete with Seaboard and Lightpad Blocks to replace my Rise 25. Only the mixer, Analog Keys and MicroMonsta will need power, which is pretty freaky.

For anyone who is interested, the patch demo I heard that sounded like hard sync actually used a filter sweep with the Drive turned way up. It doesn't sound too convincing on it's own but in the context of a song it works a treat.
Thanks for reviving the thread and glad to hear you enjoy your UNO Synth :D
zakufan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:35 am my uno stopped working with AA batteries. USB power works fine though. Anyone has this problem before?
yellowmix wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:00 am I just replicated this problem. Looks like there's now an air gap that developed somehow, making the batteries not complete a circuit. I remedied it temporarily by adding a conductive shim between the accessible contact and the leftmost (battery compartment at top) battery. I think whatever is on the inaccessible end is malfunctioning, possibly a spring that isn't pushing hard enough (I have no idea as I cannot see what is there).

I have not abused my Uno. In fact, it's been more or less sitting immobile on the same flat surface since I got it.
Please anyone who is having issues powering their unit via batteries contact support and PM me your Ticket #. This would not be considered normal behavior. The team can help figure out what happened and the best resolution.
Horse wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:12 am I was hoping that the editor would include a quick way to write & save sequences.. am I overlooking something?

Apart from that I have to agree that it's an incredible piece of hardware and integrates well with the DAW (oh, +1 for random preset changing bug).

H
Make sure you have the latest version of the UNO Synth Editor, this comes with a new librarian feature which helps navigate, save, and store UNO Synth presets on your Mac/PC, iOS device or UNO Synth hardware. Presets will include your patterns. iOS updates are in the Apple App Store. Mac/PC updates can be found in your User Area -> My Products section of your IK Multimedia account.
AdvancedFollower wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:00 am I still have some issues with the VST editor (sporadic MIDI connectivity issues in Studio One so I have to run it inside JBridge, sometimes not recalling the patch with the DAW project), but the synth has really grown on me. Something doesn't have to be perfect in order to be good and usable.

I'd buy an IK Multimedia Quattro if they decide to make one :)
Make sure to also check with support. They would be the best to figure out what's going on here.
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

Have you also reported this directly to IK Support? I'm sure they can figure out what's going on.

Also note that for those who have UNO Synth and want to get UNO Drum, we have a great deal going on - as well as those who are new to UNO Synth or UNO Drum at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?id=unotrio2019

BONES wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:42 am I just checked mine and it is working fine on the batteries I put in it when I bought it last year. Interestingly, when you run it on batteries the USB hum goes away.
Is your Uno also connected to an audio interface connected to the same computer? If so, it's likely a ground loop. Put a ground loop isolator at the Uno output, they're relatively inexpensive (~$10).

No, it goes straight into my Mixer, which then goes into my audio I/O so I can mix the PC signal in with it. And it is not being powered from the PC, it gets its power from my Overhub, which has its own power supply. It was never a problem when I plugged it in directly and is a very minor one now. If I was worried about it, I'd plug it into a spare USB port on the laptop.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I gotta say that after spending last evening playing around with Uno, after months of neglect, I had forgotten just how freakin' good it really is. Some of the presets in the downloadable banks are incredible and it is so easy to tweak it to get them sounding exactly how you need them to, both using the app and from the front panel. I could find two or three uses for it in pretty much every song we do. It really is that good.

As much as I'm really happy with Skulpt and Craft 2.0, at the end of the day they don't come close to Uno. I do enjoy the Modal stuff but MicroMonsta and Uno remain the heart of my set-up, with them and Trueno just providing a bit of back-up as much as anything.

yellowmix wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:00 am
I just replicated this problem. Looks like there's now an air gap that developed somehow, making the batteries not complete a circuit. I remedied it temporarily by adding a conductive shim between the accessible contact and the leftmost (battery compartment at top) battery. I think whatever is on the inaccessible end is malfunctioning, possibly a spring that isn't pushing hard enough (I have no idea as I cannot see what is there).

I also think that the air gap is the cause of the problem. I will try to see if conductive shim could fix the problem. :tu:

So inserting a 0.8mm copper shim in the air gap solved the problem :party:
Ryan_IK wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:56 pm
Please anyone who is having issues powering their unit via batteries contact support and PM me your Ticket #. This would not be considered normal behavior. The team can help figure out what happened and the best resolution.
my ticket no. is #4368357

zakufan wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:42 pm So inserting a 0.8mm copper shim in the air gap solved the problem :party:
my ticket no. is #4368357
Glad to hear you found something to help in the meantime and thank you for the information. The team should have gotten back to you already. Keep an eye out for their response.
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

Currently, there is a chance to win Uno (and some other hardware and software here

Looks dodgy as hell to me.

Ryan_IK wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:56 pm
AdvancedFollower wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:00 am I still have some issues with the VST editor (sporadic MIDI connectivity issues in Studio One so I have to run it inside JBridge, sometimes not recalling the patch with the DAW project), but the synth has really grown on me. Something doesn't have to be perfect in order to be good and usable.

I'd buy an IK Multimedia Quattro if they decide to make one :)
Make sure to also check with support. They would be the best to figure out what's going on here.
Basically, PreSonus support blamed IK, IK support blamed PreSonus and that was the end of it.

In the end I just hooked up both USB and MIDI cables, so I can use the standalone editor even with the DAW running. I'm now living a much less stressful life, just pretending the UNO never had a VST editor in the first place... It responds perfectly to MIDI program change messages, and the timing also seems tighter when controlling it directly instead of via the VST editor, so it's a win-win as far as I'm concerned :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”