Devious Machines release Pitch Monster

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How does it compare to Meldaproduction MUnison?

It sounds very much like Polyverse Manipulator. I don’t need the “chords mode” thing since I can just play in midi. What can it do that Manipulator can’t? I love vocal effects like these, but I think I may already have these bases covered.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:16 pm It sounds very much like Polyverse Manipulator. I don’t need the “chords mode” thing since I can just play in midi. What can it do that Manipulator can’t? I love vocal effects like these, but I think I may already have these bases covered.
There's a free 14-day demo on the website, so why not give it a whirl, and decide for yourself?

domsmart wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:59 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:16 pm It sounds very much like Polyverse Manipulator. I don’t need the “chords mode” thing since I can just play in midi. What can it do that Manipulator can’t? I love vocal effects like these, but I think I may already have these bases covered.
There's a free 14-day demo on the website, so why not give it a whirl, and decide for yourself?
I’m sure I will soon.

when it comes to pitch shifters, its not about what it cant do, but how it sounds. Manipulator, Little Alter Boy, Nectar for ex they, all sound different depending on material, one can be better and other not. Some can work universaly good like Alterboy on most material.

As for this moment i like pitch monster alot.

Elektronisch wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:10 am
when it comes to pitch shifters, its not about what it cant do, but how it sounds. Manipulator, Little Alter Boy, Nectar for ex they, all sound different depending on material, one can be better and other not. Some can work universaly good like Alterboy on most material.

Glad you are enjoying it! And yes, I think this reply about hits the nail on the head. TBH I've not used manipulator, but it does look/sound like a really cool plug-in. It has a somewhat different focus and feature set to PM in that it seems to have more in terms of FX/warping (it has things like FM which PM does not), whilst PM has more polyphony, unison, 3 different engines with very different characters, and different options for detuning and time spreading. I could see myself using both for their own strengths, rather than it being an either-or.

Pitch Monster sounds really good. Very rich in term of rendering.

I don't have any vocals in my work (drone, experimental & electroacoustic music) but still, I like PM alot for mangling audio sources and creating very textured sounds & strange stuff. (I also always liked the idea of using tools on material that was not intended for, for sound uniqueness and often happy accidents)

Still not sure if I really need it (probably not in fact :lol: due to all the other tools I have) but man this thing is tempting and great!

Good job.

Neon Breath wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:57 pm I don't have any vocals in my work (drone, experimental & electroacoustic music) but still, I like PM alot for mangling audio sources and creating very textured sounds & strange stuff. (I also always liked the idea of using tools on material that was not intended for, for sound uniqueness and often happy accidents)

Still not sure if I really need it (probably not in fact :lol: due to all the other tools I have) but man this thing is tempting and great!

Good job.
Thank you!

I'm planning a demo on using it to add backing to mono synth lines which works as well as vocals. And if you remove the highs with the filter from the wet signal sounds just amazing.

In fact ... I might get on it right now ;-)

plexuss wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:32 am Eventide Octavox is $200US regular price. Pitch Monster is regularily $105 on sale for $80. Antares Harmony Engine is $250! I can't think of any others that do this kind of thing but based on those two examples, seems like Pitch Monster is competitively prices. I haven't tried it however, so just going by whats "on paper".
What fun the most interesting feature in quadro\octa-voxes personally for me during tried demo was not harmonizer\shifter but as resonator ability (time and feedback parameters), that PitchMonster does not have.

But, i tried plugin demo just now, really not a bad, there is also something interesting besides the pitching tasks. As well, as was already noted, that no-cpu-using ability also presents here (like in DM Texture), that special plus. There is a feeling of very competent balance in coding.
As for the price, it’s somewhat difficult to say for sure, but product quality is obvious.

domsmart wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:37 am

Glad you are enjoying it! And yes, I think this reply about hits the nail on the head. TBH I've not used manipulator, but it does look/sound like a really cool plug-in. It has a somewhat different focus and feature set to PM in that it seems to have more in terms of FX/warping (it has things like FM which PM does not), whilst PM has more polyphony, unison, 3 different engines with very different characters, and different options for detuning and time spreading. I could see myself using both for their own strengths, rather than it being an either-or.
Manipulator has polyphony, detuning and some time spreading options. I’m mostly interested in how smoothly it can just repitch and formant shift sounds in most use cases though (sound design and V.O. Mostly.) I’ll definitely check the demo out soon, I was just curious about the differences in the actual algorithms. The independent pitch/formant mode in pitch monster sounds similar to the same in Manipulator. So I was curious if anybody who has both could point out any major differences.

jcredland wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:22 pm
I'm planning a demo on using it to add backing to mono synth lines which works as well as vocals. And if you remove the highs with the filter from the wet signal sounds just amazing.

In fact ... I might get on it right now ;-)
Good idea! You even could add a demo with a field recording, like water or any sound object. Cause this thing is soooo much more than just a vocal pitch shifter. It's a serious granular sound mangler, no doubt. I've run water stream sound, prepared piano sounds as well as some contact mic captured sounds and I'm impressed of the results, totally transformed them. Didn't expect that one coming! :o

Here is a draft of it turning a mono synth into a granular orchestra ... https://clyp.it/jsnaay5e

Ah_Dziz wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:29 am
domsmart wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:37 am

Manipulator has polyphony, detuning and some time spreading options. I’m mostly interested in how smoothly it can just repitch and formant shift sounds in most use cases though (sound design and V.O. Mostly.) I’ll definitely check the demo out soon, I was just curious about the differences in the actual algorithms. The independent pitch/formant mode in pitch monster sounds similar to the same in Manipulator. So I was curious if anybody who has both could point out any major differences.
Oh I see. Well I've not used Manipulator so I can't comment on that. But One thing I will say is that in PM, if you discount the vocoder mode, you have a choice of two modes. Formant mode relies on accurately pitch tracking the input, so works best with monophonic sounds like dry vocals (doesn't have to be singing speech or whatever works fine). It has a lot of different input tracking modes so you can apply it to various different sounds (I had it perfectly formant shifting a bass guitar riff, for example). Granular mode provides an alternative in situations where formant doesn't work so well (e.g. noisy or unpitched sounds), and works best for a lot of SFX work, but there's no formant fixing/shifting available in that mode.

But yeah, do try it out, and let us know what you think. We're always receptive to feedback!

Can someone post a voice recording of Pitch Monster's MIDI mode being used with a MIDI file or MIDI keyboard ?, because i want to hear how it compares to Manipulators MIDI to Voice.

if you're unsure what i am talking about, watch this video of Manipulators MIDI to Voice, skip to 3 minutes & 36 seconds on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5eve8u ... u.be&t=216

Warped Effect wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:20 pm Can someone post a voice recording of Pitch Monster's MIDI mode being used with a MIDI file or MIDI keyboard ?, because i want to hear how it compares to Manipulators MIDI to Voice.
Check out the section entitled MIDI Mode on the product page, there's an audio demo there:

https://www.deviousmachines.com/pitchmonster/

Return to “Effects”