Nearfield Monitors

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for monitors.

I'm doing sound engineering/ music production course and I'm doing a mixing module. I have good headphones but just a pair of pioneer DM-40 monitors. They were cool 3 years ago when we got them for djing in our spare room but need something better now.

My use for them will be to get better at mixing (not just for uni but for my own productions also). Although I won't be releasing anything for the foreseeable future I would like some better budget ones as I'd like to advance myself at mixing.

Any suggestions? Price range £500-700.

Will be using in a box spare room. Could use in larger back room but it opens into kitchen and don't think those acoustics would work as well. I understand I'm also gonna need to add acoustic treatment to the room.

ESI uniK 05+

I'd probably go for some compact Genelecs. They're at the higher end of your price range, but they're accurate and built to last. You could add a matched sub later if they don't have enough bass for you (due to their size). The SAM models self adjust to your room.

https://www.genelec.com/studio-monitors ... o-monitors

I'll look into both. Thanks

I think you need to go to the store and listen to every pair. Don't buy blindly. Before I got my Dynaudio pair I read a lot of reviews and asked for suggestions, but this was mostly useless. I spent a hour or so listening to each pair in loseless quality(important) and was able clearly find the winner, which was totally different from what I prepared to buy before.
I like the sound of the KRK G3, Dynaudio BM5, Adams, but have to say all monitors sounds differently, so its a matter of taste. Make sure you're getting monitors that can go below 50Hz. At least 6 inch.
Also, you have to spend approximatly same amount of money on acoustics, otherwise this is just waste of money.

Was looking at KRK G6 but they're quite small think 5inch. Go to mid 30s in Hz though which is good for sub at that price range

If you want bigger speakers, than look into ESI uniK 08+ instead. Also, is that budget for a pair or single one?

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:01 pm I'd probably go for some compact Genelecs.
https://www.genelec.com/studio-monitors ... o-monitors
Me too, I have Dynaudio, always liked the Genelecs from the same era. The paper cone ones really sound good to me. Dynaudio's are pretty precise too, no warping very dynamic response, making electronic music I want just a tad more midrange thump. Not hating the Dyn's at all.

Recently bought Kali Audio LP8s for just over £500 for the pair, would definitely check them out if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO6fqUwz2d8

nvm

The Kali monitors are great, but 8" are probably going to be too big for either the box room or the weird other room.

KRK Rokits are shite. Just shite.

For £500-700 I would either get some Yamaha HS7s or Dynaudio BM5 Mk3s. I actually have both in my studio right now, but have compared with several pairs of monitors over the years and these two are just the best you can buy for the money imo. The midrange detail on the Dynaudio is second to none.

The Kali's do have a 6" version as well and think they work out at under £350 a pair and also have switches to accommodate different room sizes and speaker placements.

tehlord wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:22 am KRK Rokits are shite. Just shite.
Maybe old ones, new G4's are solid.

Top of your budget, but the Hedd 05's would be my choice and I say this as an owner of a pair of small Genelec who ended up needing that sub. Not that I regret doing so, I'm just acknowledging that it would blow your budget to hell.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”