One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There are many reports of issues about the automation on VST3 for the plugins based on Juce:
https://www.google.com/search?q=vst3+automation+juce
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

That's funny - just like Taron, I've been on an Oberheim roll in the last couple of weeks, investigating the original Ob's, Matrixes and Xpanders on Youtube and in online pdf's - specifically trying to find a way to assimilate some of the complexities of the latter ones (I know, impossible!)

I also discovered some excellent free, deep samples of the DX drum machine on YouTube by Alex Ball, which are well worth the download.

I'm currently taking a break from OSC after a year and a half almost exclusively in "one-synth-at-a-time" mode, but I'm following all of you from the sidelines, and the current OSC thread is always open in my browser :D Best of luck with the OB-Xd!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Hahaha, dang, how can these things be "coincidences"? I've been watching a whole bunch of Alex's videos the last two weeks...this is strange. But I'd really wished you'd join back in! Your tracks are treasures, schiing! :violin: :phones:

This thing is really fascinating. Playing with the Multi on Filter is a curious process. I find sounds I would normally never step on, but they can pierce through the mix in brilliant ways. It's a very different kind of exploration for me. I'm having good fun right now! 8)

Taron wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:55 pm Hahaha, dang, how can these things be "coincidences"? I've been watching a whole bunch of Alex's videos the last two weeks...this is strange. But I'd really wished you'd join back in! Your tracks are treasures, schiing! :violin: :phones:
Hey, thanks so much, Taron! Sooner or later - I'll be back :)

And yeah - it often strikes me when I watch an obscure 7-year old synth demo with 60 views on YouTube that 30 of those views might be from people that I know (that I know online, I should say - fat chance any of my real-life friends would watch it!), haha.
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Thing is, it's unspeakable how much I'd wish we'd have the chance to be "real life friends". It would fill me with pure joy, if we could just hang out from time to time...pfff... why's that so hard? :shrug:

Taron wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:13 pm Thing is, it's unspeakable how much I'd wish we'd have the chance to be "real life friends". It would fill me with pure joy, if we could just hang out from time to time...pfff... why's that so hard? :shrug:
Very kind, and yeah, I agree! Funny that: I thought about you this summer - my wife, kids and basically my entire extended family just spent two weeks in Split this August (that is your hometown, right?).

I also had a ticket, but my health doesn't always permit travel (it's simple and complicated, awfully frustrating, and yet, it could've been a lot worse - 15 years living with fatigue, in short). Anyway, I don't get out much - but if I did, I certainly would've let you know :D When I get an Oberheim Xpander and the occasional good spell, I'll invite you to a Northern European jam session!

Northern European...ahm... first of all: DANG, I would've loved to meet them and send you even more personal greetings, haha. And, of course, pity you're not feeling well and couldn't come. However, I would've probably been mad, if you did go without letting me know! :tantrum: :lol:
And second: I totally thought you were in the States!? So that makes it actually conceivable that we could some day hang out! Horray!
But, yeah, I firmly believe that health comes with the right orientation and the understanding that healing is the painful part, but it generally means that you've begun to make the right choices. Follow through, follow your heart and join the OSC again! Things will look up from there! ;) :hyper:
I'm having my own struggles for a while now, but they are part of the lengthy process of beginning a new kind of life/career. Once it all takes off, I'm sure there will come a very painful time, but also a wonderful one, allowing me to push through into the piece of heaven I wish to share with all of us! :)

Hey BJ and Richard -- any word on if we can use commercial plugs this month? Would be awesome!

You have a poetic way of approaching life, Taron, I love that :)

schiing wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:15 pm That's funny - just like Taron, I've been on an Oberheim roll in the last couple of weeks, investigating the original Ob's, Matrixes and Xpanders on Youtube and in online pdf's - specifically trying to find a way to assimilate some of the complexities of the latter ones (I know, impossible!)
Seems like there's a strong retro movement gaining more and more tracktion in a Softsynth spoilt environment. In my eyes that has to do with a saturation in the VST market. One could ask - What should be the successor of Avenger or MSF? It's not too many completley new features. I only expect an slight increase in quality or availability for instance of good VA algorithms ... next major step would be AI in composition,mixing and mastering - "Alexa - compose the next Skrillex WubWub-Hit"...
And if you check out Uli Behringers / Music Tribes efforts in recreating some of those old beasts and bring them back to live for a reasonable prise, that is the second indicator for the retro movement. He's using community feedback to decide on which synths make it on his list. I myself am waiting for the ARP 2600 remake... An ARP ODYSSEY was part of Kraftwerks equippment and the 2600 is legend as well.
https://www.amazona.de/behringer-2600-h ... -arp-2600/
https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Be ... ans(en|en)

What I would especially like is a huge evolution in the MIDI master keyboards in the low and mid range of prices (I think that they are now quite well featured in the high range of prices). More knobs, more sliders, more perc pads, a generalization of the aftertouch, etc. That could highly enhance the pleasure.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

All I would wish for in the keyboard market is solid quality, including well weighted, quiet keys, proper dials, sliders and wheels with robust longevity rather than the "planned obsolescence" even in high-priced gear. Also: polyphonic aftertouch as a normal thing, uuhhh.... :love:
As for VSTs, well, I believe there's far more left that is untouched in regards to the future of sound, but somehow there's a certain fear of inferiority to hardware instruments still at work and the worry not to sell successfully so that people are compelled to try and replace old gems rather than truly creating new ones.
AI is a funny thing and certainly a curious approach to collaborate with the machine to explore new ways of creating sounds, especially trying to recreate natural sounds, but no true musician would ever allow AI to interfere with composition, of course, unless possibly for experimental reasons, haha. Surely, enough wonnabies roam the world to fall for the temptation of taking credit for an artificial composition, having them assume that their taste would legitimize such an approach, but at the end we will find ourselves back in the arms of real artists, because only they can channel and create what's really needed in the world.
Ignorance can lead to fear, but the truth always rises again as the manifestation of true need. I consider this a reliable faith. :pray: :)

I love all kinds of retro, but I'm not longing for the past as much as I'm longing for the past's vision of the future - and so I'm happy to use contemporary tools - soft or hard - to bring out my vision of ancient futures (see, now we're getting somewhere!)

But while I'll always be a sucker for actual oldies, I'll probably never be in the demographic for the "new old" stuff.

AI is some scary shit, though. The thing that scares me the most is that it might actually rehash some old ideas and/or accidentally produce some stuff that is, against all odds, pretty cool - and that would make me question my humanity and intellect in ways that I really don't want to think about.

And I agree with BlackWinny and Taron: Cheap knobs that I could buy more or less wholesale would be great - I envision a future where I can have a range of dedicated controller units on my desk - one for envelopes and lfo's, another one for filter settings, one for CC, etc...

My current Keylab has some 30 knobs/faders/buttons that I can switch between 6 user banks, which means that I have about 180 potential controllers that I can assign to my DAW/VST's.

But I never know which bank I'm in - and if I do, I can't remember which parameters I assigned to which bank! So I always go back to the mouse again. The only thing I'm 100% sure about is the volume fader. 6 actual units on my desk - a visual representation - would be so much better. Unfortunately I can't afford 6 Fighter Twisters just yet.

And Taron, sigh, yes... quality! I actually prefer cheap plastic keyboards like my Keylab for non-pianistic synth/bass/drum stuff and I have my N-1 for piano, so that's good. But the knobs and faders are hopelessly warped and unreliable.

Ah, well.

If anyone's interested, here's one of my new "Oberheimish" experiments - plenty of OB-Xd - so at least it's marginally relevant - along with lots of other stuff. All very '80s and a bit silly. I even sing for a bit! I'm working on my new genre invention - easywave :D

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/digi ... nture-tale

Taron wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:00 pm All I would wish for in the keyboard market is solid quality, including well weighted, quiet keys, proper dials, sliders and wheels with robust longevity rather than the "planned obsolescence" even in high-priced gear.
I use a Casio Tone Bank CT-700 that I bought maybe 30 years ago give or take (maybe $70.00 new). It's a toy keyboard, really--no wheels, sliders, knobs--but it has touch sensitivity. I have checked out all the cheaper keyboards at Guitar Center, and they feel flimsy as crap compared to my keyboard. I can't bring myself to step down in keyboard quality. I don't get how quality of keyboards is worse, given all of our technological developments over the years. Go figure.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Return to “Instruments”