Catalina and plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:06 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:54 pm Apple sucks. Apple always has sucked. Apple always WILL suck.
But they also, just like that, pulled a major blow against software piracy on their platform.

(pity we can't post links to the heartbreaking stories of warez users who shed tears over trying their cracked hosts and plug-ins on Catalina. I was in tears, too.)
:lol:

Urs wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:06 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:54 pm Apple sucks. Apple always has sucked. Apple always WILL suck.
But they also, just like that, pulled a major blow against software piracy on their platform.

(pity we can't post links to the heartbreaking stories of warez users who shed tears over trying their cracked hosts and plug-ins on Catalina. I was in tears, too.)
:D
Maybe they also prepare for the "flood" of iOS ports as AUv3 in the mac app store coming in the near future....

TBH, i can kind of understand both: Apple for being consistent, and getting rid of 32-bit once and for all... and the users consistently being p***ed about broken compatiblitiy of new Mac OS versions. There is no right for everyone, but, i'm sure many Mac OS users don't even have much third party software (or software which isn't updated right away) running on their Macs anyway.

I wouldn't trust it yet

from a user perspective, is there anything gained from this new OS? is there some benefit for audio users? no.. probably not. i don't know why anyone even thinks about updating the OS until they have to.

there's just no reason to update to the new os.

dayjob wrote:there's just no reason to update to the new os.
That varies from person to person though - I really want to upgrade so I can use Sidecar.

Apple sucks. Apple always has sucked. Apple always WILL suck.

Windows user since DOS 3.0

Apple can burn in hell along with Camel Audio for all I care.
Amen brother. I never have and never will own an "i" ANYTHING.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Uhh...another anti-apple thread...wow, how „i“ntelligent. ;)

Yeah, opinions on something you’ve never owned and never intend to own aren’t exactly helpful...

Forgotten wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:51 pm
dayjob wrote:there's just no reason to update to the new os.
That varies from person to person though - I really want to upgrade so I can use Sidecar.
i don't know what that is. oh, googled... so you can use your ipad as a 2nd display? that's a nice feature but seems hardly worth the trouble now. what good is sidecar if your audio software doesn't work?

I can’t imagine there will be too many issues. I’ll probably just go ahead and upgrade and see what doesn’t work (not really expecting any major issues).

Windows user since DOS 3.0

Apple can burn in hell along with Camel Audio for all I care.
I see you're having your period once again. Thanks for your valuable opinion & contribution to the discussion.

Forgotten wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:18 pm I can’t imagine there will be too many issues. I’ll probably just go ahead and upgrade and see what doesn’t work (not really expecting any major issues).
er.. lol.. i got emails/tweets/FB posts/Instagram posts from every developer issuing a warning not to update yet. but i'm sure you'll be fine. :D

I realize that certain people throw a conniption fit about amateur producers using their daily driver for production, but it’s the reality for a lot of us. I produce on my company MacBook. And there are significant reasons for my company to upgrade to Catalina. Higher security as alluded to by Urs, and vastly improved SMB support for connecting to Windows servers.

So for those who aren’t in this position, that’s great for you, and I support your decision. Just remember that some of us have legitimate reasons for upgrading and we don’t deserve to be ridiculed for it.

teilo wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:13 pm I realize that certain people throw a conniption fit about amateur producers using their daily driver for production, but it’s the reality for a lot of us. I produce on my company MacBook. And there are significant reasons for my company to upgrade to Catalina. Higher security as alluded to by Urs, and vastly improved SMB support for connecting to Windows servers.

So for those who aren’t in this position, that’s great for you, and I support your decision. Just remember that some of us have legitimate reasons for upgrading and we don’t deserve to be ridiculed for it.
fair enough. It sounds like you're well aware that audio stuff will break. unfortunate situation.

worth mentioning.. there are more options these days for used macbook pros at good prices w/good enough specs to make music. ipowerresale etc and if you get an older machine which will still work fine but may not run the latest OS.. you can get macs for like $500. but around $1200 for retina MBp 2015 quad core.

anyway, enjoy the early adopter ride.

Return to “Instruments”