RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

Touch The Universe wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:57 pm Woooh! I for one would never question why rapid has 8 layers. It is a very high virtue and love it so much in large part solely because of this embedded power.
Like I said, there is a lot of whiny grannies around here...

parawave wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:49 pm
Soundplex wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:47 pm Please also don't forget that with simple single instances I can combine the properties, features and character of multiple different synths. And each of these presets can be combined with multiple other ones in multiple projects. No need to load a multilayer plugin each time (where I still think that we pay for extra layers in terms of CPU or workflow though we might not use them), search for the preset, copy/paste the single layer or disable all other ones etc.
Yeah, no one stops you from doing that. Matter of taste. Personally I'm not a advocate of these so called "characteristics". Something like: I need a cold digital sound, I pick Serum. I need a warm analogue sound, I pick Diva. Doesn't really make sense to me. If I want a warm/cold/modern/vintage sound, I just shape the sound in Rapid (or any other synth) until it sounds like I want.
Just my 2 cents: when I take a look at frequency or amplitude modulation, filters and saturation algorithms alone, I'd definitely say there are certain synth fitting certain sound characteristics. And it's also a major difference to take a "typical" synth, turn 3 knobs and it sounds good compared to open an "untypical" synth and turning 100 knobs to make it sound fairly close (if at all).

In Germany we say: es gibt keine eierlegende Wollmilchsau :D

Just to add another voice to the pile, I've thought for a long time that Layer Multi-Out would be a fantastic feature.

For me, it's a matter of convenience. It's much easier for me to mix layers using tools I'm familiar with (for example, Pro-Q 3) than to use built-in synth effects like Rapid's EQ

However, I LOVE Rapid's modulation options and I bet will love them even more once this update releases. Plus, having all layers triggered together and not having to manage 2-3+ identical MIDI tracks in the DAW is a huge plus when writing.

So, in summary, +1 to Multi-Output.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Multi out would be good, yes!

FWIW I'd agree that multi-out would be nicer, because options and flexibility count for a lot.

DocSnyder wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:12 pm Just my 2 cents: when I take a look at frequency or amplitude modulation, filters and saturation algorithms alone, I'd definitely say there are certain synth fitting certain sound characteristics. And it's also a major difference to take a "typical" synth, turn 3 knobs and it sounds good compared to open an "untypical" synth and turning 100 knobs to make it sound fairly close (if at all).

In Germany we say: es gibt keine eierlegende Wollmilchsau :D
If it's about capabilities, sure. There are things FM or granular synths can do, other synths can't do. In that case it's absolutely necessary. Just one thing - Avoid subjective fallacies! A good example:
Rapid is not marketed as vintage synth == Rapid can't create vintage sounds.
It's modern == It sounds digital.

If that's the mindset someone uses to approach things, no wonder. If that's really what you think, I recommend to just rebuild a few patches from so called "Analog Emulations".

HcDoom wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:29 pm Multi out would be good, yes!
xalama qo wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:35 pm FWIW I'd agree that multi-out would be nicer, because options and flexibility count for a lot.
Guys, seeing patches of others who haven't mastered using Rapid, I just have to say:
Somehow I really doubt you use the on-board effects to its fullest capabilities.

What are you really trying to achieve here? Sounds like a "We need it, just because!" scenario :D
At least show us the patches where you really really need to separate the output. Very skeptical here. :ud:

@Development:
Good news. Three new voice inserts.
  • Attack Booster.
  • LP-HP-12 | Serial.
  • LP-HP-12 | Parallel.
attack booster.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

parawave wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:02 pm patches where you really really need to separate the output.
Well, I gave a specific example in my post, but here it is expanded:

Using >3 EQ bands on a single layer. To that end, I often use the built-in Rapid EQ as an extra, modulatable filter for sound design, and do my mixing EQ outside the plugin.
I would want multi-out for this when I have several layers playing in unison.

Another one:
Say at some point after I've designed several layers of a patch and am writing a song, I want one layer to gradually fade out in volume.
Now I could go into Rapid, go find the volume for that layer, and link it to automation... but my DAW's fader is right there.
Given the option, of course I would just automate that. It's faster and fewer steps to do the same thing.

Now I'm not saying Multi-Out is a "make or break" feature for me. I use Rapid a lot and love it. But while I've been using it, I have definitely thought "hey, that would be really convenient!".

parawave wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:02 pm LP-HP-12 | Serial.
LP-HP-12 | Parallel.
Ooooh those look nice. The parallel one will be super fun for neuro stuff.

parawave wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:02 pm At least show us the patches where you really really need to separate the output. Very skeptical here.
As a music producer sometimes you have to chose between being the finest sound designer vs finishing songs on time. Of course with enough time and knowledge Rapid can do (almost?) any sound imaginable.

On the other hand, I know that "that synth sounds like that" and "that compressor have that sound" and "that distortion plugin does that sound". For sure I can get a very reduced set of fx plugins to do what many others do. For sure Ableton's built in can do 90% of the needed tasks. But if doing every move this way, so is taking me 20 minutes instead of 20 seconds does it worth it?

Now, I am not a preset surfer either (so buying presets is hardly on my list), but I am also not the sound designer that can do any sound. And I'm pretty sure there are more like me.

It may be very well that with my thinking I could be outside the intended target for your product without any of us acknowledging it yet.

So that's all. I'm back to my stuff, when the update is ready I'll give it a go. Cheers!

The new multi-mode filters interest me a lot. Do you guys have access to Synapse Audio Dune 1. There is a free CM version around. The multi-mode features in that synth sound excellent. On pair with the high quality of rapid standards. I encourage a look if its possible. In particular the bottom 5, with key emphasis on the first :D

multi.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

parawave wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:02 pm Somehow I really doubt you use the on-board effects to its fullest capabilities.
I guess I don't but I have my selection of trusted mixing and processing effetcs (like many I guess).

Although I'm not much a preset user I do see the point of layered and processed presets in Rapid. Some of them sound cool and indeed probably could be used in a mix with very little additional processing (especially EDM/mainstream trance stuff I guess), and I see how the layering/processing capabilities of Rapid must be very useful for preset designers, but having an option for applying third party effects to the individual layers would be nice. Not make it or break it of course, but nice and handy. Just for the sake of trying, maybe this or that layer would sound better with a third party phaser or distortion.

If you don't want to add multi-out I understand that (I guess it may be not that easy to impelement), I'm more interested in new filters/inserts/effects, modulation improvements and such, anyway.

Btw, the new Attack Booster, I guess it's a kind of a transient shaper? Any reason why it's in the voice insert section? Maybe the effects stack would be a more approriate place for it? (at least it would be possible to use it in combination with other voice inserts, like tone fuzz and such)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

parawave wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:40 pm ]I see your problem. I don't know if you missed it, but you can right click the layer buttons, select Copy Layer go into another instance and choose Paste Layer in any of the other layers.

My recommended workflow at the moment: Open two Rapid instances. One to create your new patch, one to browse existing patches. If you browse and find a good layer, just Copy/Paste it in your new patch. This way it's really just a matter of minutes to combine 8 layers.
Great, I didn't know that this is possible between another instances, amazing! :tu: :clap:

EDIT:
I don't know if this possible but it would be great if the arpeggiator / sequencer would be polyphon. I don't mean the "Poly" mode which is still there but rather to type chords in the steps there. That's a feature of the Korg Radias and with that you can play chord sequences with just one finger like with midifiles! :D

clipnotic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:59 am
parawave wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:40 pm ]I see your problem. I don't know if you missed it, but you can right click the layer buttons, select Copy Layer go into another instance and choose Paste Layer in any of the other layers.

My recommended workflow at the moment: Open two Rapid instances. One to create your new patch, one to browse existing patches. If you browse and find a good layer, just Copy/Paste it in your new patch. This way it's really just a matter of minutes to combine 8 layers.
Great, I didn't know that this is possible between another instances, amazing! :tu: :clap:

EDIT:
I don't know if this possible but it would be great if the arpeggiator / sequencer would be polyphon. I don't mean the "Poly" mode which is still there but rather to type chords in the steps there. That's a feature of the Korg Radias and with that you can play chord sequences with just one finger like with midifiles! :D
For this layered approach, imo a way to save and load seperate layers would be really usefull.

When layering sounds, you could then simple browse through the layer presets to find the right one. This would be a huge boost in workflow.

Stefken wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:03 pm
clipnotic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:59 am

EDIT:
For this layered approach, imo a way to save and load seperate layers would be really usefull.

When layering sounds, you could then simple browse through the layer presets to find the right one. This would be a huge boost in workflow.
I agree - saving of layers will be a HUGE win for workflow.

I have also requested many times - saving of FX stacks - also HUGE for workflow.

Cmon PARAWAVE - lets have these PLEASE!!!! :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :) :) :) :tu: :tu: :tu:

Return to “Instruments”