Nearfield Monitors

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Passing Bye wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:18 pm
tehlord wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:22 am KRK Rokits are shite. Just shite.
Maybe old ones, new G4's are solid.
Had some G2's on loan (as my own monitors of other brand had failed) and after handing themback I thought what the heck and bought G4's. Definitely way way better than G2. I really like them as far as making a beat but for mixing.. Shite :(

To the OP, check out Presonus R65 too.

All makes sense thanks all except the Kali are ported and I've been warned against ported designs that are under the £1500 range. Is this right?

Personally I dont like frontported designs. You can plug them with foam though :D

Or a sock from the washing basket lol

chris979899 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:25 pm All makes sense thanks all except the Kali are ported and I've been warned against ported designs that are under the £1500 range. Is this right?
Warned about what, all monitors are ported front or rear?

chris979899 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:11 pm Or a sock from the washing basket lol
:hihi:

chris979899 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:11 pm Or a sock from the washing basket lol
id use new ones personally.
dont want to invite people over to hear your latest mix and have them wondering about the slight smell...

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:02 pm
dont want to invite people over to hear your latest mix and have them wondering about the slight smell...
Man, sit down and listen to this club tune I yust made,

Check out the new IK Multimedia iLoud MTM.
Insane stuff considering their size. I've seen these popping up in forum chats and I've read some raving reviews. I thought OK, I should check these toys out - mind you I don't even need any new monitor at all- :D, it was just curiosity. After playing around with these I have to say it's mental what these "toy sized" things are capable of. If you don't use sonarworks or anything similar than the included room correction is a great addition, it really does work rather well.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ik ... -iloud-mtm

These IK multimedia MTMs are often suggested in this "Studio monitors for small bedroom for EDM" topic/thread:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=531121

+ a video review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny13_x21-pY

If for some reason you don't like the MTMs, also consider KRK V6S4 (forget the Rokits, these are in a different league) or used Neumann KH120, both fits your budget of sub £700. Two very different speakers but both are very capable. If you buy KRK brand new in the UK, check the prices at https://www.juno.co.uk, usually they are the ones offering the lowest price on KRK products (other than some ebay sellers).

My 2 cents :hug:

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:02 pm
I don't want my mix to be too clean, lacks character

ozonepaul wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:55 pm Check out the new IK Multimedia iLoud MTM.
Insane stuff considering their size. I've seen these popping up in forum chats and I've read some raving reviews. I thought OK, I should check these toys out - mind you I don't even need any new monitor at all- :D, it was just curiosity. After playing around with these I have to say it's mental what these "toy sized" things are capable of. If you don't use sonarworks or anything similar than the included room correction is a great addition, it really does work rather well.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ik ... -iloud-mtm

These IK multimedia MTMs are often suggested in this "Studio monitors for small bedroom for EDM" topic/thread:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=531121

+ a video review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny13_x21-pY

If for some reason you don't like the MTMs, also consider KRK V6S4 (forget the Rokits, these are in a different league) or used Neumann KH120, both fits your budget of sub £700. Two very different speakers but both are very capable. If you buy KRK brand new in the UK, check the prices at https://www.juno.co.uk, usually they are the ones offering the lowest price on KRK products (other than some ebay sellers).

My 2 cents :hug:
Cheers. Appreciate it

I have genelec 8020d I tried a lot of different manufacturers and found them to have great build quality and tone

I've got the G2 Rokit 8" speakers. They're ok. Bit of mud in the lower mids. Whether they are shit or not, well, they may be. But at the price point when I bought them the only alternative was Yamaha HS-8. This was a few years back and I'm sure things have moved on in speaker design and new brands bringing new designs to the table.

I tested both the Yamahas and the Krk's. The Yammys are nice and clear and very loud and very fun even to listen to at low to moderate levels, but if you like to krank it or just like to listen for extended periods, that high frequency will cause fatigue pretty quick. Compared to the Krk's anyway.

The Yamahas have bottom end, in spades, they have better mid range definition too, but that over-pronounced high-end was enough to be a deal breaker for me in the end. It's almost like you need to stick a bit of tissue paper over the bleedin' tweeters! :lol:

But if you didn't listen at too high a volume, and if you did not listen for long extended periods, the HS-8's would probably be the better bet. It's not just what speaker you prefer (I actually preferred the Yamahas), but it's also how you use said speakers. So I opted for the less fatiguing (if somewhat less accurate) Krk's. No regrets, it's a decent enough speaker for the money. As for mixing, well, I doubt I'd want to seriously attempt that where I am at the moment. But they are fun to work on for tracking.

I'm only speaking about the G2 Krk's here so not sure what the newer generations are like. But on the ones I have, you can work at very very low volumes and still get a pretty good representation of the sound. They are 8" which is totally overkill for my environment, but still, somehow, going against all perceived wisdom, they work, ok. That 8" speaker is pushing out air near to your ear at low volume. I've even seen Scott Storch use them in his home studio and he has them mounted horizontally! :o

At that kind of volume there doesn't seem to be the mud that you get when you krank them. Just like the Yammys sound ok until you krank them and the high end becomes unbearable just about straight away.

So, we have the speakers we prefer the sound of. Then we have the peculiar ways we use them (or think we will be using them, until maybe we move house say, or just have a change of heart - I got bored of monitoring loud). This includes how long we use them for as well. And finally we have the variable of how different speakers react and change their characteristics at different power levels.

The SPL (sound pressure level) of a krk 8" at low volume is not that much. But at high volume it's very intense. Almost deafening at close quarters. And in between, well, that is a different audio acoustic profile again.

I don't know. These are just my thoughts. I'm not a pro when it comes to stuff like monitoring. I'd love to have a treated room. A few pairs of speakers to compare. And more than that, the ability to take my mixes out to clubs, cars, planes, trains and wide open fields, just to see how they translate. Nothing sounds good on earbuds so I wouldn't worry about that.

I can't in all honesty say I've ever done that, and I'm not sure how many other people can either. So while it's all subjective opinion, some opinions are more subjective than others. Mine is about as subjective as it gets, sadly.

I balance things out with a very very nice pair of Tannoy Events with 6.5" speakers. They provide the sanity. The Krk's provide the reference and the buzz where needed. It's all valid. Because this setup varies no more than any other real world example. If I can get a mix working well on the Tannoys, then on the Krk's (at high and low volume), and on a pair of half-decent Logitech computer speakers (my poor man's Auratone if you like), then maybe I am half way there. Oh and if it sounds good on a set of cans as well, then now we're cooking! Or are we? I have no idea. Maybe my mixes sound shite everywhere else. I wouldn't know.

For me the field of monitoring is just full of so many variables and imponderables and prone to so much user error and deep philosophy of psychoacoustics, that I just bury me head in the sand and hope it's all good enough. It's probably not.

Having said that, I think I know what I'm doing. Over the years I've been able to adjust to the mind set of mixing on headphones even. Some mixes I did on a 20 quid pair of Koss headphones held up over several sound systems and very large speaker setups, cars, boomboxes. Maybe I got lucky with that.

I think unless you are really making some major mistakes anyway, then your music will be usable, until it becomes unusable. Too much bottom end totally drowning all the program signal is probably the biggest sin. Followed by too much high end deafening clubbers when played out on a 4K rig and the tweeters chopping people's ears off. I remember listening to sound systems in dub clubs around London with people who made great sounding records (Zion Train et al) but they had nasty speaker stacks that would deafen you just from the over pronounced tweeters. Bit like Yamaha HS-80's on steroids! :hihi:

I wouldn't disagree the Krk 8" Rokits are shite. But a lot of people use them and seem to make them work. I could get rid of mine and put the cash to something new and maybe I will, but for now I'll hold on to them, because I kind of know them and am used to them.

There was a few times I wished I'd got the Yamahas, for sure. But we make our decisions...

In the end, the trick of turning them all the way down to '1' instead of having them on '11' worked for me. You can still hear the bass. The mid range is not so muddled. And the highs are kind of where they should be, pronounced but never fatiguing. Even the Krk tweeters can get tiresome at mid volume listening after a while. When super kranked, the woofers take over, when super low, everything is in its rightful place. But at fairly loud (not insane volumes) that high end grates almost as much as the Yammys.

I've played them loud, I've played them quiet and I've played them kranked to the max, and for extended periods of time. It's not just the speaker, the human auditory system shuts down pretty quick after not too long a listening session at anything above reasonable talking volume. There is research to show that. And then there is the psychoacoustics aspect to it as well and how each individual will react to particular frequencies and to particular SPL's (volumes) and over what ever time duration range.

Just like drugs, different people react to different things in different ways.

For me, a man needs to learn his speakers for sure. And he needs at least one more pair of speakers to reference for sanity (even headphones will do), then he needs to learn how to 'play' them, finesse them, ride them.

It's more of an art than a science, for sure.

Anyway, no need to over think it!

Dem der Krk's got dem nice big YELLA speaker woofahs! Yes dey do!

And sometimes, that's all that matters...

So, tehlord, don't ever call my babies ugly again, mmmkay?

:party:

[not that I'm triggered :hyper: ]

LEAVE MY KRK'S ALONE!

(Ok, you're right. They're shite!)

:help:

Skupje wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:33 pm Personally I dont like frontported designs. You can plug them with foam though :D
Why not use a potato? They're organic! :love:

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”