If The Major DAW Developers Said They Were Dropping Support For Mac OS...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

...And Said They Would Be Switching To Linux As An Alternative....

What would your reaction be :?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8hxk3gCWW0
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

That they are all f**king idiots.

:tu:

Nice clickbait though... you know how business works.

They are all just tools. I mostly use a Mac for music production tasks but these days, my computer isn't much more than a fancy audio/MIDI recorder. I could switch to Windows or Linux without much fuss (I already work with such configurations, as part of my day job requires). I wouldn't be happy about it but I could do it.

My reaction would be to invest my money in a non-major DAW developer that's sticking with OSX support and planning for my retirement next year.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:20 pm ...And Said They Would Be Switching To Linux As An Alternative....

What would your reaction be :?:
i use windows so probably wouldn't notice :shrug:

They won't.....

mine was never on mac, so no probs here

Pretty sure Logic will never abandon Mac OS.

not much reaction..
I'm a dozer
but
maybe a scratch balls and go, ok...
your decision...
are u sure it's a good decision?

and keep scratching...
OFC...

:oops:

I would be happy. Probably i would drop Windows 10 and go Linux. Let's do it Ableton! ;)

all the kiddies would throw a tantrum.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Why should they be idiots? (in response to an above question), sure, if the costs of maintenance are higher than the returns, probably, but assuming you don't have too much dependencies on a specific OS, you can crossport without much issues I wager (unless this was a business decision related, don't wanna get into those)

I don't think I mind more software on a platform or not. More cross-compatibility means (in a way) just that, just more software on a platform. If they do cool, if they don't cool. In the end, is about how the developers feel and believe I imagine.

Your topic is certainly going to irritate the rabid Apple fanatics so I'm going to step out. I am aware some of them can get even physically violent sometimes (or so I read in some forum)

What's OSX?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I'm not a Mac user... but that's a very strange question.

Why would they drop OSX ? They won't. And with an excellent reason: because each time an OS progresses it is to abandon old technologies and to make common some new technologies. Sometimes a technological evolution is almost invisible and sometimes (as today with Catalina) it is a kind of revolution, and sometimes it is even a huge revolution which disrupts for a moment the habits of some users and developers, as can be the abandon of an old 32-bit architecture or the arrival of a new security system.

Giving up the old 32-bit architecture is mainly a decision taken in order to purge the source codes (and the files) of very old techniques which have become handicaps to provide the users a coherent system with all the stability... that these users demand !!! And it is also for ALL the developers a way to focus the efforts of developments in the technologies of tomorrow without having to always wonder if there won't be big bugs extremely annoying due to the simultaneous use of these old obsolete files kept from another century.

Us, users of operating systems (whatever they are) can't reasonably ask for a perfect security and stability of the system and with applications always more and more hog in resources... and at the same time require the eternal conservation of old technologies and old techniques in parallel with those of tomorrow. We can choose either one or the other, it is normal. But not both for the eternity. And the maker of the operating system must also choose sometimes a radical revolution as Catalina because if he doesn't then it becomes useless for everybody... to try to make progress the technologies.

Don't think that what happens today on OSX is specific to OSX... we can bet that sooner or later (and rather sooner than later) Windows will see the same revolution with the definitive abandon of the old 32-bit compatibilities and with some brand new technologies for the security with probably a very big moment of anxiety for everyone (developers and users) and the constraint to have either to choose to stay in the past and renounce to the new technologies (and the new systems of security) either to move on in the direction of the future at the price of abandoning ourselves some of our old habits.

The civilization itself progresses that way, everyday by small almost invisible changes and sometimes with the sudden arrival of a kind revolution, whatever it is, technological, social, political, etc. with even sometimes some very strong disruptions. It is named "paradigm shifts". There have been many of these paradigm shifts in the history... and we have forgotten them today. And some next ones will be probably much more huge than what we expect. For example currently politicians in some of our Occidental countries talk about a possible abandon of not only the paper cheques but even of the money in cash! And I don't even talk about some possibly radical effects on our ways of life of the climate change within the very next decades...

An event as the arrival of Catalina is an extremely minor event in the history of the revolutions in technologies. We should look way further than in the time of our short lives.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”