Catalina and plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:46 pm
samsam wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:08 pm I see you in every Mac thread dissing the platform. Why don't you just drop it? I find it instructive to use both but won't spend my time criticising the relative quirks of each, what's the point? If your need to use both is professional then fair enough, you gotta do what brings in the cash.
Wrong. I don't dismiss the platform. And I don't criticize the platform. I criticize the policies of Apple, which is a completely different thing. I may like the platform and hate the company. :shrug:

And I don't abandon the platform because I have many years invested, and some tools even don't exist outside of it. But it represents nowadays a fraction of what it represented to me in the past. And it will eventually fade to 0 at some point in the future. But I hold for as long as I can, restraining future investments to the minimum.

That's why having anything cross-platform is so important to me. Because when macOS fades to 0 for me, all of my work will be safe.
OK. Do keep us informed on Mac threads about how you're getting on, keep fighting the good fight.

So has anyone upgraded to Catalina and actually had issues? All I have seen are posts saying that little or no issues were encountered.

Seems like some people don’t care to take notice of the successes and would rather perpetuate the myth that upgrading to Catalina will result in catastrophic failure.

Can we at least take the time for some perspective now that results are coming in?

PC cock suckers should take note. if mac is successful PC will be following shortly. they would LOVE to dump 32. they are just more then happy to let mac take the heat for making the first move RN. i think macs intentions are more evil at heart, but pc is far from innocent, they are all evil. we need a third option. who ever does it will be looked upon as a prophet by the human race.

Dasheesh wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:20 am PC cock suckers should take note. if mac is successful PC will be following shortly. they would LOVE to dump 32. they are just more then happy to let mac take the heat for making the first move RN. i think macs intentions are more evil at heart, but pc is far from innocent, they are all evil. we need a third option. who ever does it will be looked upon as a prophet by the human race.
:borg: :borg: Linux :borg: :borg:

plexuss wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:29 am :borg: :borg: Linux :borg: :borg:
Give me a reason. haven't found a valid OS yet. when i was in CS classes in the 90's UNIX was the goto for the russian geeks tho, and the russian geeks have always been the best in the world. if you want to take down the chinese, you hire russians. they just haven't made a complete OS yet. surprising to say the least, as that's the only thing the russian's haven't stolen yet.

0degree wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:57 pm I don't recall most of plugin and host devs issuing warnings when switching between Windows 7 to 8 and 8 to 10. Did I miss something? And every time there's new version of MacOS there's havoc everywhere. I think it means at least that platform is not really developer friendly, is it ?
- Dropping 32 bit support
- New signing verification
- Deprecating OpenGL support meaning devs probably need to start using Metal

And all that time is wasted on fixing Apple's compatibility issues instead of developing the actual software
LOL, what are you talking about? "It just works".
No signature here!

Dasheesh wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:20 am PC cock suckers should take note. if mac is successful PC will be following shortly. they would LOVE to dump 32.
Nonsense. Why do you think Microsoft drags 32-bit with it for such a long time now? Windows always has been about compatibility, and there's loads of stuff, also within the OS which still relies on 32-bit. If i had to guess, then i would say that it will still be 10 years until Microsoft would even think about going fully 64-bit. They don't drive the planned obsolence strategy which Apple drives.

I'm still surprised by this move though. On the other hand, i can only congratulate them to it, because, it's extremely consequent. With the obvious consequences. Which is bad especially for the users using their computer for creative arts, which rely heavily on third party software. I assume that Apple think they can do without the people they will lose due to this move, and they will lose some.

chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:41 am
Dasheesh wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:20 am PC cock suckers should take note. if mac is successful PC will be following shortly. they would LOVE to dump 32.
Nonsense. Why do you think Microsoft drags 32-bit with it for such a long time now? Windows always has been about compatibility, and there's loads of stuff, also within the OS which still relies on 32-bit. If i had to guess, then i would say that it will still be 10 years until Microsoft would even think about going fully 64-bit. They don't drive the planned obsolence strategy which Apple drives.

I'm still surprised by this move though. On the other hand, i can only congratulate them to it, because, it's extremely consequent. With the obvious consequences. Which is bad especially for the users using their computer for creative arts, which rely heavily on third party software. I assume that Apple think they can do without the people they will lose due to this move, and they will lose some.
Just because Windows still keeps backwards-compatibility doesn't mean that these age-old applications are not obsolete.

As for all the people Apple will lose? Perhaps you could come up with a guess. But also please take into consideration that:

1 - Nobody needs to upgrade to Catalina, and probably won't need to for quite a while. Many so-called creatives still heed to the idea that it's best to hold off updating until such time as it becomes totally necessary.

2 - OSX allows for as many bootable installations as the user has drive space to accomodate. I currently have three different OS', going back as far as Yosemite, on my internal drives that I can switch and boot into within seconds. If i wanted to be able to run some legacy software that won't play nicely with the latest OS, it's very easy to do.

3 - OSX also allows booting into native (Bootcamp) and virtualised Windows installations. So, not only can a Catalina-adopter still have access to earlier legacy programs via any earlier OSX installation, but they can also have access to the exact same benefits as you Windows folk, bbia actual Windows

:tu: :tu:

Well, awesome. Why does Apple release a new OS version then, when nobody updates anyway? :P It's a rhethorical question, because i'm sure that most will update anyway.

Anyway, doesn't have to bother me at all, as a Windows user. Just taking a look aside every now and then, and wondering how much sh** Apple users can take, especially when they spend so much money for their "superior" hard- and software. Again, i have to congratulate their marketing guys that they can make so many people their "fans", who ignore all the shortcomings and patronizing.

chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:50 amAnyway, doesn't have to bother me at all, as a Windows user. Just taking a look aside every now and then, and wondering how much sh** Apple users can take, especially when they spend so much money for their "superior" hard- and software. Again, i have to congratulate their marketing guys that they can make so many people their "fans", who ignore all the shortcomings and patronizing.
And supposedly it's the Apple fans who are condescending arse-holes? You are the one being patronising!!

Maybe you thinking that Apple users are just being duped is just projection, because you are the kind of person who tends to get duped. Out in the real-world, however, most of us perform at least some basic level of cost-benefit analysis, and then pitch the results against needs, budget etc.

At this point, £4000 has got me 12 years worth of Apple laptops and Logic software, and the last computer (bought 5 years ago) is still going strong, still compatible with the latest OS and Logic Pro iterations (So much for your so-called planned obsolescence) neither of which (neither Logic or OS upgrades) have cost a penny in the last six effin' years. That means that had I only used Logic to produce music (And it's every bit of a complete production suite to allow it), it would only have cost £333 a year for both computer and DAW. I certainly don't feel duped :shrug:

It's true that there exists people like you on both sides of the divide i.e people who believe in either camp being objectively better. For the rest of us, we gravitate to what serves us best. The minute I think that the value (Not just in monetary terms) that I get from Apple doesn't match the price, then I'll switch. But I'll leave the lame OS wars to people like you :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:32 am
chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:50 amAnyway, doesn't have to bother me at all, as a Windows user. Just taking a look aside every now and then, and wondering how much sh** Apple users can take, especially when they spend so much money for their "superior" hard- and software. Again, i have to congratulate their marketing guys that they can make so many people their "fans", who ignore all the shortcomings and patronizing.
And supposedly it's the Apple fans who are condescending arse-holes? You are the one being patronising!!
Nope. I'm just posting my opinion here. Just like you do.

I didn't call anyone a arsehole, BTW. Condescending, maybe. :P

Maybe you thinking that Apple users are just being duped is just projection, because you are the kind of person who tends to get duped. Out in the real-world, however, most of us perform at least some basic level of cost-benefit analysis, and then pitch the results against needs, budget etc.

At this point, £4000 has got me 12 years worth of Apple laptops and Logic software, and the last computer (bought 5 years ago) is still going strong, still compatible with the latest OS and Logic Pro iterations (So much for your so-called planned obsolescence) neither of which (neither Logic or OS upgrades) have cost a penny in the last six effin' years. That means that had I only used Logic to produce music (And it's every bit of a complete production suite to allow it), it would only have cost £333 a year for both computer and DAW. I certainly don't feel duped :shrug:

It's true that there exists people like you on both sides of the divide i.e people who believe in either camp being objectively better. For the rest of us, we gravitate to what serves us best. The minute I think that the value (Not just in monetary terms) that I get from Apple doesn't match the price, then I'll switch. But I'll leave the lame OS wars to people like you :tu:
Agreed, f**k off out of the Mac thread chk, no f**king need for you to hang around. Smile, wink, pipe-smoking blue man.
Last edited by samsam on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ok then, who's patronizing now? :P You're not really making a good case for the Mac crew, i'm afraid. Rather proving my point, precisely.

Patronizing? I was hoping I came across as mad aggressive, I'll have to try harder next time.

Smartest PC user in the Mac thread then chk. Still no f**king reason for you to be here though is there?

chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:37 am
Nope. I'm just posting my opinion here. Just like you do.

I didn't call anyone a arsehole, BTW. Condescending, maybe. :P
I was being insulting, not condescending. And while you're clarifying, perhaps look up some use-examples of the word "patronising" :tu:

Return to “Instruments”