UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

TrekStar wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:03 am - will it still work on win7?
Falcon 2 works fine on Win7 here, just like the previous version. Altho Win7 is not officially supported ofcourse.
More BPM please

I am enjoying Falcon considerably more than I've enjoyed almost any other VST I've bought. Hard to explain it. It's actually easier to use than Kontakt or Reaktor, or Avenger to me.

And it's so well made, it sounds loud and modern, it lets you basically make anything your mind can think of and unlike a lot of other options it sounds big and powerful to me. I don't think it's really a synth in the hard sense. I think what makes it so great is that it's easy to use. Well, at least... you can easily have fun using it. I think really understanding it takes a few hours. I like how you can just put a ton of stuff together and before you know it you've got this totally new sound. The people who made it knew what they were doing.

I've been using Reaktor for years and no diss, it's great but I never took to it that much. It's been on tons of my music but I never felt like it was fun to use. And no diss, because I've used it for years, but the sound never really inspired me.

I probably should give Avenger another shot but I never really got why people like it so much.

First of all, thanks for the free update.

.. but damn is the workflow still painful. OMG is it painful. :dog:
Last edited by bmanic on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

mxbf wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:55 am I probably should give Avenger another shot but I never really got why people like it so much.
.. and I can not for the love of me understand how people can tolerate the incredibly annoying user interface of Falcon.

Example: Macro knobs. Try figuring out in a large patch what does what.. also try editing any macro knob ranges in real time while you have a note depressed (yeah, no can do.. hopefully this is just a bug). This thing is full of "click here, then here, then here then here and you may get lucky with a popup thingy that still requires another click to get to the value you want to edit.. or open the list/tree view and pray that you can find it there".

Sigh.. I absolutely loathe this workflow. It's only surpassed in weirdness to Fathom (don't get me started on that one.. it's just bizarre).

EDIT: They could make this part of the Macro (or any modulation "pop up") window 100000 times easier by simply splitting the view into TWO different sections. One for the modulation parameters of the knob itself (external CC or whatever) and also to a section that shows immediately WHAT the knob you edited is modulating. Instead you get a stupid popup that only shows you what the macro knob is being controlled by.. to figure out what the macro itself is modulating you have to first find it's name in tabbed interface and then click on it, then you can edit the ranges and see what it is actually modulating. This workflow and thinking is so ass backwards that it hurts.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Fathom seems incredible in theory but I just haven't been able to figure it out, and don't really want to. Maybe at some point.

I don't really agree with you that Falcon is that confusing. I do agree that trying to figure out what the hell is going on in other people's presets is difficult. I haven't really dug into the details of how events work, the keylayer and how the actual system works. All I've done is just mess with the very basic system of adding oscillators, modulation, effects.

I made a drum slice patch, and some weird sounds.

I do mainly experimental drum and bass, stuff that really depends on advanced, high quality, big futuristic sci fi sounds. Avant garde shit. I'm very "turned on" by the power in this thing. You get the feeling you're revving the engine of a Ferrari when you're messing with it, largely because of the quality of the effects. It's all designed to a high quality, to my ears.

The key differentiator is that it's a sound design device, with the sampling in particular and the modulation options. The sampling capacity is what separates it largely from other high power synths like Diva. If it didn't have that it wouldn't be the same. But the fact that you can splice a drum up, sequence it, change in synths and other samples if you want, mess with the timing, modulate it, add effects and modulation at multiple levels, then piss around with more effects is what makes this a sound design paradise. The fact that it sounds so good and strong, loud, instead of tinny and weak or "VSTish" is what makes it genuinely worth the purchase.

I have to say the same of Drum Designer. UVI excels at this sound, if I wasn't into making drum and bass and electronic music I wouldn't maybe feel the same. I like stuff by like A Guy Called Gerald and Digital, the kind of stuff you'd hear on Fabric or Resident Advisor.

That's just me though. I think when it comes to doing sound design, this is the way to go. When it comes to doing synth sounds that don't need samples, Diva or something else. This is for big sounding inventive shit.

Nice update! I can't wait to try it out! Thanks UVI and also mad props for the dark background manual again!

Does Falcon 2 come with pro tools subscription? Can anyone confirm?
I'm trying to decide between buying falcon2 + pt or getting the PT subscription. Avid mentions PT comes with UVI but is it ver2 now?
Thanks.

mixwell wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:48 am Does Falcon 2 come with pro tools subscription? Can anyone confirm?
I'm trying to decide between buying falcon2 + pt or getting the PT subscription. Avid mentions PT comes with UVI but is it ver2 now?
Thanks.
Version 2 is a free update for all Falcon owners, so (AFAIK) you should be fine either way.

On Win 10 / Cubase 10 the Falcon 2.0 vst was blacklisted after scanning. I activated it and it worked. How was it on your system?

Win 7 /Cubase 10 it worked straight away

bmanic wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:30 am First of all, thanks for the free update.

Definitely a steep learning curve...one of the only synths I have ever owned where I needed to read the manual just to get a sound out of a blank patch!

Once you get the basic workflow and (and to me this was key) name a load of template blank patches to your taste it’s pretty fast...I prefer it to Halion and Kontact anyway....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

kvotchin wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:11 am
mixwell wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:48 am Does Falcon 2 come with pro tools subscription? Can anyone confirm?
Thanks.
Version 2 is a free update for all Falcon owners, so (AFAIK) you should be fine either way.
Thank you. I will subscribe today then :D

SLiC wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:16 am
bmanic wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:30 am First of all, thanks for the free update.

Definitely a steep learning curve...one of the only synths I have ever owned where I needed to read the manual just to get a sound out of a blank patch!

Once you get the basic workflow and (and to me this was key) name a load of template blank patches to your taste it’s pretty fast...I prefer it to Halion and Kontact anyway....
If the learning curve is steep, doesn't it mean, that you learn quickly?
As always, you put the time on the x-axis, and here, the amount of things you learn in the y-axis.
When the learning curve is steep, you absorb plenty of "learning units" per one time unit.
But if the curve is gently sloping, you need more time units to adapt the the same amount of "learning units".
So - which one the Falcon 2 has? Is the learning curve steep or gentle?

A steep learning curve is a curve that is harder to climb. Is not the one from the XY graphs which no matter how you draw it (concave/convex), at the end all shapes take up the same time interval (thus making the concept of steep and gentle slope irrelevant).

sircuit wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:21 am A steep learning curve is a curve that is harder to climb. Is not the one from the XY graphs which no matter how you draw it (concave/convex), at the end all shapes take up the same time interval (thus making the concept of steep and gentle slope irrelevant).
What an intellectual reply.
So, the explanation is "harder to climb". :ud: Climb what? Yes, the curve. But the point is, of course, WHAT is the curve, which I tried to explain above.

Return to “Instruments”