EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

l_maseroni wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:46 pm It does not light up, it does nothing. My fear was that they were not compatible, so the 1820 is compatible with any version of the 1212m? I'm going to try another cable like the one you say, the person who sold it to me has only sent that one of the image and told me that he didn't remember what cables he had. I will send it to a technician.
In the patchmix does the 1820 have to appear in any way? Should the boxes that say 1/2 dock and others in the I / O configuration be enabled?
Try short ca 2m - Cat7 S/FTP cable.
Try connect white 4pin on the 1010 board.

kalibrk wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:57 pm
l_maseroni wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:46 pm It does not light up, it does nothing. My fear was that they were not compatible, so the 1820 is compatible with any version of the 1212m? I'm going to try another cable like the one you say, the person who sold it to me has only sent that one of the image and told me that he didn't remember what cables he had. I will send it to a technician.
In the patchmix does the 1820 have to appear in any way? Should the boxes that say 1/2 dock and others in the I / O configuration be enabled?
Even a standard CAT 5e/6 cable will work temporarily, if you're just trying to test the connection. But again, this sounds like the same issue a lot of E-MU PCIe owners have had, where two capacitors near the power supply transformer fail. When that happens, your "connection" to the breakout box will appear to be intermittent--if it works at all.

In my case, the lights on the breakout box would sometimes come on, but they usually wouldn't. Even replacing the connector cable didn't help, because the problem wasn't in the cable. I thought there might have been a short in the cable, but there wasn't. (Those cables and their connectors are sturdier and offer better shielding than standard CAT 5e/6/7 stuff.)

See if this sounds familiar: http://dp.nonoo.hu/repairing-my-emu-1820/

You'll also find a lot about how to determine if the capacitors are the problem, and how to replace them, and which good, cheap capacitors to buy here (free registration required, unfortunately): https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10362

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

kalibrk wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:57 pm
I once had the 1616, then I exchanged it for a 1820. It was not intentional, don't ask why I ended up doing so!

The 1616 is powered from an EXTERNAL 48V brick. It has a power switch in the headphones volume control. And it also has the 48V connector in the back. The 1820 is powered from the EMU 1010 PCI card. Both the 1820 and the 1616 need an internal PCI unit called 1010. The 1212m are just versions without external unit but including a computer "bracket" with additional connections (MIDI + 2 Line In/Outs) called 0202.

But the 1010 units for 1616 and for 1820 are completely different. Same for 1212m units:

The one that works with the 1820 contains a Firewire interface, and it delivers power using the network cable using "phatom power" (like PoE). The external unit CANNOT be powered off using the headphones volume. And in THIS combination it is important to keep the resistance of the "network" cable low enough, with high quality and / or short length to insure enough power to the external unit. The "old" 1010 (or 1212m) for the 1820 also needs extra power from a disk drive connector. This is not present in the "modern" 1010/1212m that goes with the 1616/1616m

The 1820 will never work with the 1010 intended for a 1616 OR a "modern" 1212m because does NOT provide power. You need the older model WITHOUT Firewire connector.

The 1616 might work with the PCI intended for the 1820, HOWEVER I think there are more compatibility issues than just the presence / absence of power. I think I read somewhere that this cannot work, but I maybe wrong.

Some personal notes that might help others with high DPC latency issues.

The problematic device here is the SD card reader and of course its driver, JMicron PCIe SD Host controller (driver version 1.0.76). So with the chaotic interaction between windows devices, a good way to see what driver or device can add a DPC latency is to disable all the useless devices, one by one on the device management and observe the results on the fly, with asio up and running. For deeper problems try searching for hidden device drivers or software drivers that might affect DPC.
So the PCI to PCIe device adapter/bridge here, with the TI chipset, does not seem to add or does not add any significant latency to the system (at the current state). Stable, no unexpected pops and crackles.

For a previous post that describes the "Line-Based and Message Signaled-Based Interrupts" selections, be careful what to select on the MSI mode Utility, I suggest to use it only on negative IRQ values and never select it on ACHI sata drivers etc, it might give you a BSOD on every reboot. The system then can be recovered from the "last known good configuration option".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:phones:

Another "Thank you" goes to Clubhousekey for supplying this fix, and a side "Thanks" to Sherwoodsound for the additional info regarding the 1616m

I am back up and running after updating :hug: :hug:
Synth Presets and Music
https://linktr.ee/BoBSwanS

I have noticed asio dropping samples / clicks n pops when using some of the win7 aero theme features on win7 and intel 3rd gen i7 integrated gpu. I had to disable the smoothing animation effect on the minimize/maximize windows feature and the the snap windows feature when moving them on the desktop edges (prevent Windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edges), to eliminate this. Other higher end GPUs might be more capable and behave ok. So if your asio audio is struggling on windows gui interaction, check those effects and accordingly disable them. It seems that some aero transparency effects could struggle the asio emu driver on specific hardware, predictable, constant cpu or gpu spikes that take priority over audio. This has nothing to do with DPC latency.

So to sum up, on my system I had to:
1. Disable all devices that caused DPC latency and disable all USB devices power management.
2. Change some devices to use Message Signaled-Based Interrupts (only those with negative IRQ)
3. Disable some or all the aero theme effects including window edge snapping function
4. Change the compatibility mode to "XP SP3" for patchmixDSP executable.
5. Replace all the files used by the new driver "XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0019" without updating the installed official driver inf settings (E-MU BETA 2.30 driver for the pcmcia version), (uninstall nothing, execute powershell script in safe mode after changing powershell script execution policy to unrestricted), register the ctasio64.dll as the core driver for x64 i/o apps.
6. Set performance priority on background services
:phones:

jannalexx wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:42 pm I have noticed asio dropping samples / clicks n pops when using some of the win7 aero theme features on win7 and intel 3rd gen i7 integrated gpu. I had to disable the smoothing animation effect on the minimize/maximize windows feature and the the snap windows feature when moving them on the desktop edges (prevent Windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edges), to eliminate this. Other higher end GPUs might be more capable and behave ok. So if your asio audio is struggling on windows gui interaction, check those effects and accordingly disable them. It seems that some aero transparency effects could struggle the asio emu driver on specific hardware, predictable, constant cpu or gpu spikes that take priority over audio. This has nothing to do with DPC latency.

So to sum up, on my system I had to:
1. Disable all devices that caused DPC latency and disable all USB devices power management.
2. Change some devices to use Message Signaled-Based Interrupts (only those with negative IRQ)
3. Disable some or all the aero theme effects including window edge snapping function
4. Change the compatibility mode to "XP SP3" for patchmixDSP executable.
5. Replace all the files used by the new driver "XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0019" without updating the installed official driver inf settings (E-MU BETA 2.30 driver for the pcmcia version), (uninstall nothing, execute powershell script in safe mode after changing powershell script execution policy to unrestricted), register the ctasio64.dll as the core driver for x64 i/o apps.
6. Set performance priority on background services
Good. I'm still having problems with clicks, pops. I do not understand well how to use the program to control dpc latency, I did a test and it tells me something about updating bios but I have already done it, if someone could instruct me on how to read the analysis and how to do it correctly I appreciate it. I ran it while using cubase and pro tools and the daw weren't right.
Regarding the XFTI driver, they said that in w7 it was not necessary to install or do the script. Do you recommend doing the same? I honestly feel very bad about this issue, I bought 1616 and I can't get it to work without clicks. What I have done is to change the default installation path that was being done in the x86 folder and not in the 64-bit one.

I just registered so I could thank Clubhousekey for the fix, it worked with my E-MU 0404 PCIe
the only change I had to make to the script was the devices full name from "E-MU E-DSP" to "E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)" at the start and end of the script. Thanks again! :tu:

Any ideas why I can't use any of the N * 44.1 kHz sample rates, only the 48 kHz derivated work? The 1820M dock will not be recognized with those 44.1 kHz rates at all (Patchmix shows error dialog and the channel borders are displayed in red colors). Am I alone with this problem, is it a hardware related on then? Just replaced some caps...

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I only made an account to tell you that you rock!!!

ty very much !

ClubHouseKey wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:06 am Driver fix for EMU 1820 and probably all other EMU cards on Windows 10 1903.

Here are some instructions:

1. Uninstall any existing EMU drivers and PatchMix versions.
2. Install 2.30 beta drivers (EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe) and reboot.
4. Download XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018.exe, then extract it with 7-Zip to a temp folder like C:\temp. Example file structure should look like this: c:\temp\XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018\setup.exe
5. Unzip the attached ScriptFiles.zip to c:\temp. You should now have FilesToReplace.csv, EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1, and the XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018 folder together in c:\temp.
6. Open an Elevated powershell window and change directory to c:\temp.
7. Run .\EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1 from the Elevated powershell window. The script does 3 things: 1) Disables the EMU card in device manager so we can overwrite some of the driver files. 2) Reads the csv, loops through each entry, and overwrites the necessary files. 3) Re-enables the EMU card in device manager.
8. Install PatchMix 2.20 (EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe) and reboot.
9. Your card should be fully functional now.

Links:

EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe - E-MU beta drivers for Windows Vista x64 compatibility. These can support most models.
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... adId=12479 (https://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=12479)

EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe - E-MU PatchMix software meant for the 1616M PCIe model
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... adId=11912 (https://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=11912)

XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018.exe - Updated Creative X-Fi drivers for Windows 10 1903
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... dId=100256 (https://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=100256)

I encourage you to check out the script and csv before running it. If there is any concern about running a script, you can manually replace the files as listed in the csv, however it is 111 files.

My initial discovery of this method happened by a happy accident as I was examining Creative's X-Fi drivers which they fixed for 1903. I noticed many similarities to the EMU drivers, including many leftover references to the EMU products. I force installed the Creative drivers to be used with a virtual device (a Voicemeeter/VBAN virtual soundcard) and after a reboot magically my EMU started working. I came up with the method above after painstakingly examining what exact combination of these files it took to get success as I wanted something repeatable and shareable. I believe in 1903 MS has fixed a flaw, enforced a best practice, or enhanced the audio stack in a way that broke what EMU/Creative had done in the past.

Good luck!

Is this what you seen on About page as versions (right click the tiny E-Mu logo on top right on Patchmix)? Some version information is missing, propably the drivers are still not functioning properly as I can't still use 44.1 kHz sample rate with the dock i/o-
emu1820m.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

After reboot the AudioDock firmware shows 3.4 though, only if I try 44.1 kHz and have to restart Patchmix it shows 0.0. If I save the 44.1 khz config and restart Patchmix it says again you don't have enough hardware etc.

So that fix does NOT make my E-Mu 1820M fully functional after all. I can still run it at 48 kHz which I would do anyway.

Well, it seems the Patchmix app doesn't allow you (or at least me) change the sampling rate to 44.1 kHz, but when I opened a 44.1 kHz project in Cubase (Pro 10) the sample rate changed to 44.1 kHz in Patchmix and dock as well! So this is kind of working setup. The patchmix does not show higher than 48 kHz rates at all btw...

Hi, I'm having problems with patch mix and microdock. Upgrade to windows 10, install as clubhousekey suggestion and everything worked. They even improved the clicks and noises that made the sound card. But a few days ago patch mix throws the warning of insufficient hardware. I have restarted a thousand times and nothing happened. Uninstall everything and reinstall (the part of the scripts I left as it was, do not reinstall) and nothing. The microdock lights come on but the application does not recognize it.
One question I wanted to ask was if everyone has the drivers and app installed in the program files folder (x86). I thought the patch mix app was 64 bit but in the task manager it appears as 32 bit. Install everything as clubhousekey said. Any suggestions? Did someone happen to you?

I was reinstalling everything again to see if the problem was solved but I noticed that when executing the script some lines appear in red, they say that the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. I can upload some screenshots. I hope someone can help me, will I be the only one who had this problem with the script?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”