Roland MC-707 & 101 Grooveboxes

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

electro wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:51 pm What is the best MC-707 tutorial/overview of the featureset?
Loopop has a nice one.

FYI

I tested the project compatibility between the MC-707 and MC-101.

Obviously, the MC-707 will read the MC-101's projects. But surprisingly enough, the MC-101 will not only read the MC-707's projects but does not seem to loose anything upon saving again. Obviously, you are limited to the first 4 tracks, first 8 scenes on the MC-101. But you will still save everything to be loaded back on the MC-707. They make great companions.

Now, as reported, the sound editing on the MC-101 is quite limited. Which is not the case on the MC-707. Well, whatever sound editing saved on the MC-707 will be loaded and applied on the MC-101. This means that the full sound engine is there, it just doesn't have the sound editing capability on the device itself.

Not only are they great groovebox, they can be very good sound modules. Unfortunately, program changes, according to the midi implementation chart, is not an option here.

Hopefully this helps ;)

LilErichZahn1972 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:49 pm FYI

I tested the project compatibility between the MC-707 and MC-101.

Obviously, the MC-707 will read the MC-101's projects. But surprisingly enough, the MC-101 will not only read the MC-707's projects but does not seem to loose anything upon saving again. Obviously, you are limited to the first 4 tracks, first 8 scenes on the MC-101. But you will still save everything to be loaded back on the MC-707. They make great companions.

Now, as reported, the sound editing on the MC-101 is quite limited. Which is not the case on the MC-707. Well, whatever sound editing saved on the MC-707 will be loaded and applied on the MC-101. This means that the full sound engine is there, it just doesn't have the sound editing capability on the device itself.

Not only are they great groovebox, they can be very good sound modules. Unfortunately, program changes, according to the midi implementation chart, is not an option here.

Hopefully this helps ;)
great review.
Thanks.
I am considering a MC101 to use mostly as a synth looper and multifx as a companion of Akai Mpc.
I just need to know how is the quality of the Reverb (compared to a Boss RV500) and if the electric pianos and mallets are good and realistic.

LilErichZahn1972 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:49 pm Unfortunately, program changes, according to the midi implementation chart, is not an option here.
This is the one thing that really pisses me off.. Was trying to do program changes from the Mpc X until I read the chart.. Grrr :x :x :x

Well, I noticed on my FA06 that the silly thang has so many thousands factory and user patch locations that doing a remote patch selection would be bank select lsb/msb/prg hell. Just figuring out what the heck bank lsb, msb, and program change equates to that one patch you wanted to select out of thousands.

Actually I don't recall details but as best I recall there were even more lsb/msb/prg pairs for all those multi-patch sequence/song locations which can also theoretically be called up via MIDI if you have the patience to figure out the magic numbers.

The FA06 midi implementation is rather long and detailed because of that, and I think there was always a law that midi implementation sheets must be written as confusing and arbitrary possible. :)

I'm not apologizing for Roland. Just thinking that if these neat-seeming beat boxes have as many thousands of patches as FA, then maybe Roland figured out that hardly any of their customers ever bothered with the headache on the FA and so why bother implementing the mess if hardly any of the customers have a big enough brain to use it? :)

The 707 is quite deep. I am very impressed with mine. Probably better for those who like like retro styles and enjoy sounds like from the jd800, but if you like that and the juno/jupiter sound, its a powerhouse. Not too hard to build synth parts from scratch either.

JCJR wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:26 am Well, I noticed on my FA06 that the silly thang has so many thousands factory and user patch locations that doing a remote patch selection would be bank select lsb/msb/prg hell. Just figuring out what the heck bank lsb, msb, and program change equates to that one patch you wanted to select out of thousands.

Actually I don't recall details but as best I recall there were even more lsb/msb/prg pairs for all those multi-patch sequence/song locations which can also theoretically be called up via MIDI if you have the patience to figure out the magic numbers.

The FA06 midi implementation is rather long and detailed because of that, and I think there was always a law that midi implementation sheets must be written as confusing and arbitrary possible. :)

I'm not apologizing for Roland. Just thinking that if these neat-seeming beat boxes have as many thousands of patches as FA, then maybe Roland figured out that hardly any of their customers ever bothered with the headache on the FA and so why bother implementing the mess if hardly any of the customers have a big enough brain to use it? :)
Well the integra has program change too and that one has 3 times more sounds than the FA or double the amount of the Mc 101/707.
The X/XM does also have program change built in so why did'nt they do this on the MC's?

I love my MC 101 as a sound module but i am afraid of wearing out the Value knob over time and making a patch script would made me feel allot safer.

Great update to 1.3!

Hello guys,

I've read through quite a lot of info regarding the MC 707, but I have a few specific questions, so I hope you don't mind if I ask them directly here.

* Can you save custom synth presets?
(It seems that you cannot do it directly but that you have to import them from an existing clip, which seems pretty odd?)

* Can you save chord sets? So, you create a bunch of chords and then want to save them for re-use later on.
Can you at least import them from a clip?

* What is IN PRACTICE the largest SD card size that is supported?
(It seems a good idea to change the SD card pretty soon instead of building tons of things on the provided 8GB card and then getting in trouble when you run out of space without an easy way to transfer the data to a new SD card? (Or is this just a straight forward copy that can be done on your computer?)

* Can you sequence the typical slides and accents in the TB-303 sounds of the MC 707 (use ties for slides and velocity for accents?). I do have a TB-3 here, but I would not mind if I could sell it off and do everything in the MC 707.
> Subquestion: can you use the internal sequencer of the MC 707 to sequence the TB-3 (so with slides and accents) or do you have to use the internal sequencer of the TB-3 and only sync/trigger it with the MC 707.

Thanks for your insights!

Stefken wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:42 pm Hello guys,

I've read through quite a lot of info regarding the MC 707, but I have a few specific questions, so I hope you don't mind if I ask them directly here.

* Can you save custom synth presets?
(It seems that you cannot do it directly but that you have to import them from an existing clip, which seems pretty odd?)

* Can you save chord sets? So, you create a bunch of chords and then want to save them for re-use later on.
Can you at least import them from a clip?

* What is IN PRACTICE the largest SD card size that is supported?
(It seems a good idea to change the SD card pretty soon instead of building tons of things on the provided 8GB card and then getting in trouble when you run out of space without an easy way to transfer the data to a new SD card? (Or is this just a straight forward copy that can be done on your computer?)

* Can you sequence the typical slides and accents in the TB-303 sounds of the MC 707 (use ties for slides and velocity for accents?). I do have a TB-3 here, but I would not mind if I could sell it off and do everything in the MC 707.
> Subquestion: can you use the internal sequencer of the MC 707 to sequence the TB-3 (so with slides and accents) or do you have to use the internal sequencer of the TB-3 and only sync/trigger it with the MC 707.

Thanks for your insights!
1) No
2) No
3) 32GB, Yes you can copy over on PC
4) No
Sub question: Yes
Last edited by acid alex on Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

Duplicate
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

My friend picked up a MC-707 and boy, is this a beast! It actually got me thinking of completely ditching my VST/Laptop setup and try to be creative with just a single machine :D

I would opt for the Elektron route personally, but what he could do with it right outside the box was simply stunning, and he didn't even use a Hardware instrument before!

Fair play to Roland for another magik box! =)

shubidoobi wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:23 am I would opt for the Elektron route personally
What benefit do you see in the Elektron route?

On the multitimbral side Elektron is far more limited.
Each track in Elektron can only hold one sample or voice. You can expand it somewhat with sample locking but it's still limited. Sure, you can sequence your bassdrum and snare on the same track with sample locking but not more than that as triggering a new sound will choke the previous one.
So getting some decent drums going will cost you around 4 tracks already. And you only have 20 sample locks in total.

On the mc 707 one! drumtrack can actually sequence 16 sounds. It's also not limited to drums so if you want to use vocal or fx samples to spice up your song you can also use 1 track to sequence 16 of those.
And instrument tracks (tone tracks as they are called) are polyphonic up to 4 voices.
Also each clip on a track can yet again have different sounds assigned to it.

You can also bounce multiple tracks to one audio looper if you would want to and expand even further.

On Elektron you only have 1 mono voice/sound per track (expandable somewhat with sample locking).
That's a huge difference to create a full song.

Stefken wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:05 am
shubidoobi wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:23 am I would opt for the Elektron route personally
What benefit do you see in the Elektron route?
That is some very solid pointers. I didn't actually know that there is a limit of sample locks in place. I was always under the impression it worked like parameter locks on other Elektron gear, which was always very generous in that regard.

Also build quality is a big thing for me, and it seemed compared to the Digitakt, the MC-707 is on the more flimsy plasticy side, but I haven't had the chance to do a direct comparison.

My main reason was actually portability and the Elektron Workflow, which I am already accustomed to somewhat. I also wanted to use it mainly to jolt down ideas easily and then perhaps transfer them into my live setup later down the line.

In regards to sequencing, I reckon my workflow would involve creating a solid base and then re-sampling the drums into a single line and have different samples ready to transition from and to, but I agree that the modularity the 707 offers seems superior for this granular approach and gives a lot more freedom to edit stuff later.

I also was under the impression that the synth-part was a lot more solidified than the MC-707 synth engine, which seemed more tacked on, but I can be wrong here, just saw a few videos of it in the last few weeks and months.

Overall, maybe it's not so clear cut anymore, what the best choice would be for me. I always saw the 707 as a bit bulky to carry around for live setups, but maybe it would replace another 1 or 2 machines and make up this way :phones:

Thanks a lot for your input on this!

shubidoobi wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:28 am I also wanted to use it mainly to jolt down ideas easily and then perhaps transfer them into my live setup later down the line.
For putting down ideas, I'm sure the Elektron devices will suffice.
I'm sure they will also work for a live setup, just the approach will have to be more minimal as the multitimbral/song writing options are far less imo.

For just putting down ideas, you could also look at the MC 101 which has a lot of the same stuff as the MC 707 but only 4 tracks (it's very portable and battery powered).
Remember that 4 tracks means a lot more here than 4 mono sounds!
The editing of the sound engine is somewhat crippled though; it's more of a preset player than the MC 707. It plays samples but you'll need to transfer them from a computer as it does not sample on its own.
shubidoobi wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:28 am In regards to sequencing, I reckon my workflow would involve creating a solid base and then re-sampling the drums into a single line
Yes, the Electron devices kinda direct you into using sampled drum loops instead of sequencing because otherwise they just eat up to many tracks.
The audio looper from the MC 707 uses timestretching but the Digitakt doesn't seem to use timestretching? (https://medium.com/callumhowkins/the-el ... 5722832a83). That's pretty annoying as the moment you divert from your sample loop bpm, things won't match up anymore. I would certainly check this one out.
shubidoobi wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:28 am Also build quality is a big thing for me, and it seemed compared to the Digitakt, the MC-707 is on the more flimsy plasticy side, but I haven't had the chance to do a direct comparison.
I'm hearing positive reviews in this regard (I've not had one in my hands yet). Yes, it's plastic but the knobs are solid and it's not flimsy plastic, it's thick plastic :) . (The Model Samples is also plastic but also not flimsy).

shubidoobi wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:28 am I also was under the impression that the synth-part was a lot more solidified than the MC-707 synth engine, which seemed more tacked on, but I can be wrong here, just saw a few videos of it in the last few weeks and months.
I cannot comment too much on the synth side of Elektron. The Model:cycles seems to have nice models. BUT I consider the synth side of the MC 707 as one of it's strong points. It has those classic sounds from the jupiters, juno's, tb 303, sh 101 etc.
Not sure how the engine works exactely. It seems to use the same principles as the Fantoms in that it uses PCM and synthesis to 'recreate' the sounds but it doesn't seem to use modeling as such? It does have a Moog, Jupiter and Prophet filter.
But in fact these sounds are one of the points that tilt me over towards the MC 707.
The MPC One for example has a far better screen that the MC 707 and I'm sure the synth editing is a lot more comfortable than that little screen of the MC 707. I'm sure that editing the synths in the MC 707 will frustrate me at some point but it has those Roland sounds! (you can also use the MC 707 as a sound module and in this regard it's a lot cheaper than the Jupiter XM). The sounds of the MPC One are OK for me but just OK, and after all, what matters most is the sound, right?

shubidoobi wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:28 am Thanks a lot for your input on this!
You're welcome. I'm also just trying to figure this out. :wink:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”