DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

my heart goes out to any developer who asks his user base what they think... about anything. everyone wants what they want, and (most) lose sight of the 'big picture'. anyway, great to see the updates (and the retina thing!), and happy to have dune3 in my arsenal.
logic pro • sonoma • xkey 37 • eveaudio • 5bil plugins

https://upstatebrooklyn.com

Hemmick Reef wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:47 pm I quite like limited to 15-30 mins with no saving - a good balance between fun vs frustration :D vs :x

If I keep going back I eventually buy, then everyone's happy :party:
I don't like that. Sound designers like to invest quite some time to see how good they can make a patch. So after fiddling for half an hour, you want to be able to save and later reload your patch should you be happy and decide to buy it.

But maybe we should turn this topic into a separate thread with poll instead of hijacking this thread even further.
Last edited by e-crooner on Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnX wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:24 pm if you are seriously interested in a synth, 30 days is plenty. I imagine most ppl make their minds up very quickly anyway.

If you think you won't have time to demo a synth properly in a 30 day period, wait until you do. I can't think of a time when that might happen, and even if it did, the demo is reset on an update, so you get more chances

you really have 3 choices

1. buy it/don't buy it
2. make time to demo it
3. moan about not having enough time as if it's someone else's fault
I have dune3 and use it a lot, so i've got nothing to moan about here. I only try to explain why i would more likely buy a plugin with a time unlimited demo.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

People can also change their minds. You might decide to demo a synth again a year or two later, then with this fresh perspective decide to buy it.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Or after a couple of months when another synth is released and you want to compare the two.

Nice update :)

if you need more then 30 days to make a preset you are doing it wrong.

If you need more than 30 days for something, you're wasting your life :idea:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

perhaps demos could last 30 years? so you can be really sure you want to purchase it... and/or that your (eventual) grandkids will like the sound.

but if you can't make up your mind after 30 years, your computer self-destructs. seems reasonable...

Lets talk about time.

As an example, week one:

Day 1: you activate the demo, play around for 30 minutes, continue work on a project
Day 2-5: working on a project because schedule is on friday
Day 6: packing bags, morning flight to play at a club or a festival
Day 7: back home vegetating

Week two:

Day 8: you forgot about the demo you installed, doing something else...

15-30 minutes demo ftw.

Now lets lets change roles a bit different, working guy with a family.

As an example, week one:

Day 1: you activate the demo, play around for 30 minutes after work, you cook dinner, have time with your kids
Day 2-5: same routine just your kid is sick and those 30 minutes you would spare for the demo you give to your kid
Day 6: packing bags, you are going on a trip to visit your wifes parents
Day 7: back home vegetating

Week two:

Day 8: you forgot about the demo you installed, doing something else...

:D

Im surprised how some of people are just looking from own perspective. It feels like you dont have any brain to think that not all are like you and not all are having same daily routines, jobs and so on. Or you are just ignorant. Its not always about making a preset in 30 days, its about finding time in a 30 days period to spare because not all have luxury to work from 8h 5 days a week and then not thinking about anything and just dick around. Having time limit that expires only adds pressure.
DJ Warmonger wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:40 pm If you need more than 30 days for something, you're wasting your life :idea:
If you are demoing plugins to buy but not making money back by advancing with music as career to make a living out of it i also could say you are wasting your life.

For me, I think the demo is very generous. I couldn't make my mind whether to upgrade from version 2 or not for several months! But, it's because of "me" being lazy or not sure what to decide.
Anyway, due to the generous reset every update, I could demo it again and then the quality of the sound won in the end against the workflow, so I upgraded :D

The main "suffering" for me is browsing the presets is not independent from the main screen (in other words, must keep switching between modulation matrix and presets Browing) :(

DarkLight Default 2: went back to the white LEDS and switched out the faders before cleaning everything up in the script config. this is a mash up of the dark and light skins and should have been the default from the beginning IMO. Very inspired right now. that scream distortion is as good as the reverb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Is there any reason for D3 owners to be envious of Massive X?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:51 pm Is there any reason for D3 owners to be envious of Massive X?
Not at all. Have either or both.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

v1o wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:51 pm Is there any reason for D3 owners to be envious of Massive X?
that's today's random question. really, what does one have to do with the other? and all you'll get here are (endless) opinions.

i have both, and they're different creatures. this 'plugin A vs plugin B' thing is so boring (unless you're comparing, for example, compressors, or something)

Return to “Instruments”