Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FL Studio All Plugins Edition

mrcleats wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:06 pm
The other 1% :wink:
Ok, to say it with Deek´s words: Touché! :D

Whenever I start FL Studio it screams on my face : "Dance!" :) It has really so inspiring and inviting environment/workflow for making beats. Ok not only dance, but not Rock or classic or ambient music.
I don't know, I really like to do some disco or hip hop music with it :)

andypryce wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:52 pm
tooneba wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:45 pm
xbitz wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:20 am btw. yepp, ghosting between patterns would be a warmly welcomed feature, this is the only feature which I constantly miss from it
But I think it depends on how they execute that functionality. In Ableton, for instance, they implemented in a awful way imho. All clips' notes are editable once you engage 'multi clip edit' and you can't playback the piano roll in the middle of it.
Not intuitive but you can start playback from wherever you want with alt/option spacebar
It doesn't work here.

Trancit wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:46 pmPerhaps they should have hired 10 more developers for the costs of this nice and pretty tour bus :tu:
Try to make a baby in one month with 9 woman :)

It's a big misunderstanding that adding more developers speeds things up.

We are talking about 12 million lines of code where any small change results in
thousands of mails from people that prefered the way things worked/sounded
for over 2 decades.

That €500 FL sticker sure was some of the best value for money we got in a long time.
Jean-Marie Cannie @ Image-Line - FL Studio

JMC wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:25 am
Trancit wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:46 pmPerhaps they should have hired 10 more developers for the costs of this nice and pretty tour bus :tu:
Try to make a baby in one month with 9 woman :)

It's a big misunderstanding that adding more developers speeds things up.

We are talking about 12 million lines of code where any small change results in
thousands of mails from people that prefered the way things worked/sounded
for over 2 decades.

That €500 FL sticker sure was some of the best value for money we got in a long time.
JMC, this wasn´t meant serious... 8)

I like FL, but can't use it -- it keeps crashing on my main OS X desktop every 5 mins . I have to keep saving every time before I do any mouse clicks.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Trancit wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:41 pm 1. I want to leave orchestration and other rape of FLS out of the focus here just because I think one must be (forgive me the strong words, I mean this more in a funny way) brain amputated for choosing FL Studio for such a task as it brings really nothing on the table which is suitable for that respectively could bring a benefit over other solutions...
I actually don't understand. I don't see any problem using FL studio for anything you want. Do you have that so much money and time to get and learn other DAWS? Isn't that contra-productive? Because that is small obstacle you will rather go and buy new software instead trying to find way to solve your problem. Yes your problem, because looks like I never have the problems you mention. When you get used to workflow and you can do want you want why look somewhere else? Because you can make it few clicks faster? Is this a benefit?
EnGee wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:56 pmOk not only dance, but not Rock or classic or ambient music. I don't know, I really like to do some disco or hip hop music with it :)
You sure about that? Limit is you and not tool you use.

Any updates scott? Long ailence with updates :(
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

telecode wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:30 am I like FL, but can't use it -- it keeps crashing on my main OS X desktop every 5 mins . I have to keep saving every time before I do any mouse clicks.
I also use it on mac and doesn't crash at all, have u checked the crash logs,
/Users/YOURNAME/Documents/Image-Line/FL Studio/Support/Logs/Crash
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

TrojakEW wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:02 pm
EnGee wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:56 pmOk not only dance, but not Rock or classic or ambient music. I don't know, I really like to do some disco or hip hop music with it :)
It's my impression based on my talking with some people and on the net. FL Studio is very popular among hip hop producers (at least this is what I observed in West Auckland. I guess the same applies in other countries or cities).

Also many dubstep producers have started with it (then switched to Mac/Ableton because it looks more classy maybe :hihi: )

Most of those who write classic music don't use FL Studio because mainly it lacks score editor. Anyway, they still can use it if they want, but there are more suitable tools for this. So, it's not only the limitation you impose on yourself, but rather the most suitable tool for the kind of the job you are doing ;)

Caine123 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:20 pm Any updates scott? Long ailence with updates :(
In their forum, there is almost always a new beta version up for testing with a list of fixes and new features, so you can always see what they're working on. The beta for 20.6 is up there now.

EnGee wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:44 pm
TrojakEW wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:02 pm
It's my impression based on my talking with some people and on the net. FL Studio is very popular among hip hop producers (at least this is what I observed in West Auckland. I guess the same applies in other countries or cities).

Also many dubstep producers have started with it (then switched to Mac/Ableton because it looks more classy maybe :hihi: )

Most of those who write classic music don't use FL Studio because mainly it lacks score editor. Anyway, they still can use it if they want, but there are more suitable tools for this. So, it's not only the limitation you impose on yourself, but rather the most suitable tool for the kind of the job you are doing ;)
I dont know if I agree with you. Re: classical type scores there is a fellow on YouTube who does Hans Zimmer type stuff on FL.

It's a fully fledged DAW and a fully functional DAW with which you can use any and all VST libraries. My theory, is, the sequencer is rooted in Fruity Loops which is a very user friendly sequencer to learn to use and maybe that's why its' more popular with newer generation of music makers working in HH or EDM/Dub -- they can come up with a really decent workable beat very fast in the FL sequencer compared to something like Maschine on MPC where there is a little more learning curve. Once they master the sequencer and navigation workflow ,, they move on to learning the recording functionality fast.

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:08 pm
I dont know if I agree with you. Re: classical type scores there is a fellow on YouTube who does Hans Zimmer type stuff on FL.
You don't have to! Just because one fellow on the net mimic other's work :hihi: If you said Hans Zimmer is using FL Studio to score his music, I might find it odd! Still not the majority who are scoring classic music or even Rock! But to just ignore the world, it is your choice!
It's a fully fledged DAW and a fully functional DAW with which you can use any and all VST libraries. My theory, is, the sequencer is rooted in Fruity Loops which is a very user friendly sequencer to learn to use and maybe that's why its' more popular with newer generation of music makers working in HH or EDM/Dub -- they can come up with a really decent workable beat very fast in the FL sequencer compared to something like Maschine on MPC where there is a little more learning curve. Once they master the sequencer and navigation workflow ,, they move on to learning the recording functionality fast.
It is as I said a great DAW especially for EDM, Dance and hip hop music, but in general for audio work or/and classic music I don't think so. Nothing is wrong with that! I don't consider it a negative! It is a plus IMO, because it is nice to have something different ;)

EnGee wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:08 am It is as I said a great DAW especially for EDM, Dance and hip hop music, but in general for audio work or/and classic music I don't think so. Nothing is wrong with that! I don't consider it a negative! It is a plus IMO, because it is nice to have something different ;)
It works for other genres as well. I make rock/pop/folky and arab rhythm based music. I used FL for it. Compared to my main DAW cubase, the workflow and navigation and mixing navigation is actually lighting fast compared to Cubase. You just have to get used to the short cuts. I am a big Maschine user and It was actually easier to setup templates and map them to groups thasn FL and Cubase. The only reason I gave up is its crashing like crazy on OS X. I will wait for a few years and try it again if they get more stability in it.

telecode wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:36 am
EnGee wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:08 am It is as I said a great DAW especially for EDM, Dance and hip hop music, but in general for audio work or/and classic music I don't think so. Nothing is wrong with that! I don't consider it a negative! It is a plus IMO, because it is nice to have something different ;)
It works for other genres as well. I make rock/pop/folky and arab rhythm based music. I used FL for it. Compared to my main DAW cubase, the workflow and navigation and mixing navigation is actually lighting fast compared to Cubase. You just have to get used to the short cuts. I am a big Maschine user and It was actually easier to setup templates and map them to groups thasn FL and Cubase. The only reason I gave up is its crashing like crazy on OS X. I will wait for a few years and try it again if they get more stability in it.
Please elaborate how those workflows are faster in FL Studio? I find that very hard to believe based on having tried both. Not knocking FL Studio but especially with mixing I don't see how you can say that is lightning fast.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”