User interface: Flat or "3D" design?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Flat or 3D design

Flat
53%
3D
48%

Total votes: 40

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I care more about good layout which guides the user, clearly grouping related elements and emphasising the most-used controls. Valhalla's GUIs are excellent not because they are flat but because they are thoughtful. Photorealistic copies of vintage user interfaces are also good when a) people are familiar with that layout or b) that layout was already a good design.

For new designs, 3D can be nice when it is inspiring and used to guide user (e.g. Auburn Sounds Panagement) but you don't get those things "for free" by choosing 3D, and 2D graphics elements can be used to a similar end (e.g. Unfiltered Audio Specops).

So you should pick whichever supports your aesthetic/usability ideas best.

imrae wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:17 pm 2D graphics elements can be used to a similar end (e.g. Unfiltered Audio Specops).
You think Unfiltered Audio Specops GUI guides the user? :o :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

no necessary dichotomy for me, it depends.

This:
flat.jpg
I like. Some's a little yoogly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fmr wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:36 pm
imrae wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:17 pm 2D graphics elements can be used to a similar end (e.g. Unfiltered Audio Specops).
Blocks of input/output controls at left and right. Geometry and compander sections clearly marked and separated from the rest. Prominent size/position/colours given to the realtime FFT visualizer, which responds helpfully to the main effect blocks. Yes, Specops is complicated but the layout is thoughtful and plays to its strengths.

imrae wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:25 pm
fmr wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:36 pm
Blocks of input/output controls at left and right. Geometry and compander sections clearly marked and separated from the rest. Prominent size/position/colours given to the realtime FFT visualizer, which responds helpfully to the main effect blocks. Yes, Specops is complicated but the layout is thoughtful and plays to its strengths.
Well, I guess people react differently to colors. To me, a black background with bright color blocks over it and no surfaces, is hurtful, displeasing, and disgusting :shrug:

Looking at that GUI doesn't guide me anywhere (except maybe out of it).
Fernando (FMR)

I usually want my GUIs to have clarity, readability, simplicity and good organization.

Within that I don't care if it's 2D or 3D, abstract or skeumorphic. There are good and bad examples of all of those :)

foosnark wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:09 pm I usually want my GUIs to have clarity, readability, simplicity and good organization.

Within that I don't care if it's 2D or 3D, abstract or skeumorphic. There are good and bad examples of all of those :)
Exactly. User experience is the key here. Whether you use 3D or flat design is highly subjective. You can use that to target different target groups. There's lots of people that are used to old hardware synths. They tend to like designs that in a way emulate hardware. And for good reason. This usually copies not only the style but also the usability.

4D
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

5D

6D

I decided to give a try at flat design, here are the results:

https://twitter.com/SampleScienceSo/sta ... 2221641728

The good thing with these UIs is that they are done in Affinity Designer, a vector design program. It means that they are scalable without any quality loss, even the background pictures are in such a high resolution that I could render them with the UI for 4K monitors and it would still look good.

3d knobs on a 2d surface

SampleScience wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:58 pm I decided to give a try at flat design, here are the results:

The good thing with these UIs is that they are done in Affinity Designer, a vector design program. It means that they are scalable without any quality loss, even the background pictures are in such a high resolution that I could render them with the UI for 4K monitors and it would still look good.
Those rotary controls in the lower half (mixer?) remind me of mugshot silhouettes. :scared:

zakufan wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:22 am 3d knobs on a 2d surface
+1. I particularly like Softube Parallels for this kind of mix.

I'd choose flat with a touch of depth, like VCV Rack or Presonus MaiTai, anyday over 3D fisheye lens renders where every shadow and reflection from surrounding elements or environment is visible on the knobs, LCD screen, etc ...Softube! and many others... it's just unnecessarily busy.
The new Sylenth GUI and Dune3 skins hit the 3D sweetspot for me. Reaktor Blocks and NI compressors/reverbs too. Very tastefully done imo.

SampleScience wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:58 pm I decided to give a try at flat design, here are the results:

very nice designs - I think the background pics are still a little too prominent though

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”