Windows 10: swap out motherboard (Intel -> AMD)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've currently got an Intel i5 8600 CPU on an ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac motherboard, just over a year old. I'm thinking of swapping it out for an AMD Ryzen 5 3400G CPU on a Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO motherboard.

Now, I've done AMD->AMD CPU/motherboard swap outs on previous versions of Windows (I think it was Win7) and it went surprisingly well (I imaged the boot disk first, just in case, but didn't need it).

Has anyone tried Intel->AMD with Windows 10 without total disaster setting in? Anything particular to prepare for (except total failure, of course)?

Zen gen 1 & 2 were pretty straight forward, although I bricked 2 test drives before giving up when doing gen 3 testing.

This may have improved since launch, I just haven't had the urge to find out.

Windows 10 is pretty resilient when you do such transplants. In the most cases it will work without problems even if you take the hard drive and put it on a different PC. I've tried it many times and it worked. So Taking this into account I think that you will not have any issues at all. I think that if any issues occur you will need just to run the repair tool booting in safe mode.

I'd do a new install in any case. Better safe than sorry.

OK, great, sounds better than before (at least, from the above articles). Except for Kaine's comments on the Gen 3. Hm. I'll definitely check I've got the device on my MS account (which I almost certainly haven't - hardly use it). I've space to image the drive, in case I do need to revert, though, so I'll do that just to keep my terror under control :).

I'm almost tempted by the new install - I had to when I got the machine and, once it's networked, it's got little to actually install on it and it's all sitting there waiting nicely organised. It just takes ages... It's much cleaner, though. Mmm...

Seconding Macrium Reflect. I went from single boot drive to RAID mirrored with the original single drive in the new array (and thus wiped), the image was placed on an external USB drive and Macrium put it on the RAID array and arranged everything nicely. I did preinstall the RAID drivers beforehand though.

I have that board, it is rather loud. You are going to want a case designed for quiet.

dirtysnow wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:22 amI have that board, it is rather loud. You are going to want a case designed for quiet.
It's going to have its own room with no one in to disturb (except me when I'm drumming).

dirtysnow wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:22 amI have that board, it is rather loud. You are going to want a case designed for quiet.
OK, now I have it, I see what you mean. "Silent" it says on the blurb. Are gamers deaf? :roll: Fortunately, once it's set up, I'll only be near it when I've got my headphones on for drumming.

Well, it took me a while to getting around to this.

Windows forgot I was on static IP and resorted to DHCP; once I'd put that back and run update a few times, everything was okay.

(Linux... gawd, setting the IP there seems different every time I try to do it and no clever built in fall back to DHCP just to get things working... but I got there. Still could do with some way to control the fans - lm sensors doesn't see the control on this board either.)

Other than that -- and the physical struggle of not actually having fitted a motherboard for over ten years... -- it went flawlessly.

)edit( -- um, and then, next day, Windows decided it needed to reauthorise... ah well.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”