If The Major DAW Developers Said They Were Dropping Support For Mac OS...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Forgotten wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:54 pm
machinesworking wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:12 pm This thread proves KVR will argue or debate anything, no matter how stupid the premise is.
No they won’t!
:lol:

Watch the most recent newsletter from Melda just four hours ago:

https://www.meldaproduction.com/admin.c ... 73cd82b16e

It seems that Vojtech is really thinking about dropping the Apple formats.

If you click the picture on the page above, you are driven to this... tutorial :lol: :
https://www.meldaproduction.com/text-tu ... to-windows

The last chapter says all the good that Voytech thinks about Apple.
:wink:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Yeah, I wasn’t impressed with his thoughts on users of Apple products, so I don’t really give any f**ks anymore about what he does with his products.

Then let's see what experiences "Melda" had with Apple:
BlackWinny wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:40 pm If you click the picture on the page above, you are driven to this... tutorial :lol: :
Melda wrote: Imagine you are a builder (the software developer of a DAW/plugin...) and you started creating a big factory some time ago. You have built the foundations, walls, started putting some equipment for various companies (your customers, the users) in it. And obviously the factory needs a roof, right? You started building your factory with a very specific roof manufacturer (Apple) in mind, which uses some odd roof attachment system, not a perfect one, but it does the trick.

But suddenly this manufacturer comes in and says "sorry, we have a new attachment system, for which you need to make your factory one meter shorter and change the attachment bolts". Of course you, being the builder, know this is a total nonsense and all they need to do is a little gadget (converter) from the old roof attachment system to the new one. But they just won't do that, and even worse, they won't let you do that either. They just won't install the roof until you remake the entire factory.

So you as a builder are in trouble. Your customers asked for this roof, which isn't special in a way, it just has a specific colour that other roof manufacturers don't make (and there are many of them, cheaper and often better ones). But to make it all work, you have to spend a huge amount of time rebuilding your factory for no good reason and after that some equipment (ProTools 10) now won't even fit in, because the factory will be too small. That's a situation without a reasonable solution and it happened several times before, but it seems to be getting worse than ever.
Yes, that is a general problem. The trouble is the dependency on proprietary standards and software!
This dependency almost always creates big problems in the long term. In case of Apple + AU Melda
came to the decision to drop Apple support. His specific reason is:
Melda wrote: So the real question is, do you want the developers of your DAW and plugins to spend their days trying to fix the problems arising from system upgrades, or to improve their own software products, making them more functional, more powerful, faster, stable and easier to use? If it's the latter one, then the only solution seems to switch to Windows.
But also in Windows there are a lot of proprietary dependencies - so there are just other
companies and their politics causing a dependency.
Melda wrote: The only one, who can make a difference is you, the customer.
The conclusion must be: If possible we should prefer non-proprietary standards! :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Forgotten wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 pm Yeah, I wasn’t impressed with his thoughts on users of Apple products, so I don’t really give any f**ks anymore about what he does with his products.
Was what I was referring to previously. At least he's honest, that way I can just continue to not look at his plugins.

One thing I learned about Apple: a majority of their users will buy whatever they make, no matter the cost, sing praises regardless of how great or terrible the product is, and rinse/repeat as long as their wallet holds up.
Have you tried Vital?

Forgotten wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 pm Yeah, I wasn’t impressed with his thoughts on users of Apple products.
Yes, Vojtech is acting just as self-serving as Apple. Melda want users to make an expensive change in platform to save time and money for Melda. Vojtech seems to have a low opinion of his MacOS customers. Not good business practice! Experienced Apple users are quite clever about ways to get the benefits of the Apple ecosystem while avoiding the problems.
Last edited by Michael L on Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

BlackWinny wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:40 pm Watch the most recent newsletter from Melda just four hours ago:

https://www.meldaproduction.com/admin.c ... 73cd82b16e

It seems that Vojtech is really thinking about dropping the Apple formats.

If you click the picture on the page above, you are driven to this... tutorial :lol: :

The last chapter says all the good that Voytech thinks about Apple.
:wink:
The whole thing is exactly the same as it ever was, you don't hear Urs complaining about OSX, and initially when he first ported to Windows you heard a lot of complaining, but that subsided. Urs is not as guilty of confirmation bias though, and that's why these types of threads are stupid, and listening to a developer who never has really gotten comfortable programming for OSX is useless. I'm not even a developer and I've seen his rants for years, and other developers trying to reason with him etc.

Truth is there are good reasons to use either platforms, end of...

Well said!
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Pretending as if each platform’s developing environment are equally good or bad is all delusional. Up to date MacOS destroys software and urge devs to fix things more frequently. It’s the fact.

Main issue is that security is not friendly to music making. So the more you load the music software with security rules the worst is for creativity.

liqih wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:55 am Main issue is that security is not friendly to music making. So the more you load the music software with security rules the worst is for creativity.
How?
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

liqih wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:55 am Main issue is that security is not friendly to music making. So the more you load the music software with security rules the worst is for creativity.
That is a very interesting point. I am working at an academic institution and need to fight that security vs creativity fight on an almost daily basis.

But the unfortunate fact is that this is no longer a choice. Highly secure systems are a must these days.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:34 amTruth is there are good reasons to use either platforms, end of...
As I said, that is wrong-headed thinking. Your OS doesn't actually do anything for you, its the software you run in it that matters. So you choose your apps and you find the OS the best supports it all. I never chose Windows and then looked for software that ran on it. I chose CorelDRAW and then bought a PC to run it on. I don't continue to choose Windows today, I still look to the software I want to use and let that decide the OS. In 1995 it was CorelDRAW but in 2019 it is applications like 3DS Max, Combustion and After Effects that guide my choice of OS.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Security is just an excuse. Look at intel CPU. It has(had) security risk which makes perfomance significantly worse just to solve vulnerability but not a single person has been attacked. Actually you don’t even need to patch it to use it safely.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”