FXpansion releases Cypher2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cypher (DCAM: Synth Squad) Cypher2

Maybe a stupid question (i think so), but is exponential FM possible with Cypher?

Rastkovic wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:47 pm Maybe a stupid question (i think so), but is exponential FM possible with Cypher?
FM in Cypher2 is TZ fm for the oscillators.
You can't choose between different fm algo.
Best
YY

Rastkovic wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:47 pm Maybe a stupid question (i think so), but is exponential FM possible with Cypher?
afaik, Osc 3 to filters (set to self oscillate and create sine wave) is expo FM

Whywhy wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:00 pm FM in Cypher2 is TZ fm for the oscillators.
You can't choose between different fm algo.
That's what I expect.... :?

Thank you anyway!
moshimoshi wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:19 pmafaik, Osc 3 to filters (set to self oscillate and create sine wave) is expo FM
Thank you. I wasn't sure, if filter FM is linear or exponential FM....

I was told by support, that the issue with modulation being erased, would require a re-coding of the whole TransMod system. :-(
I found the bug, as I had made a noise patch with tons of modulation going on, and had assigned the 8 most important knobs to a midi controller. As I started playing aroung with the sound via midi, all modulation got erased.
This issue is a real showstopper. I will still use Cypher2 for certain things, but until this problem is fixed, my enthusiam is limited.

That said, I am absolutely in love with the range of mod sources. In particular the random sources and the voice/unison sources are so f*cking cool. And the way you can emulate, say, a 4-voice synth, right down to how voice stealing works on some of those old machines I have owned in the past. Oh, and that all OSCs are included as mod sources makes so much sense for a modular-synth-kind-of guy.
So thank you Angus, for a great instrument, but please fix it.

Oh, one more thing, Angus: I know you don´t agree that double click should reset a parameter, but we are quite many, who believe by now, that it can be regarded as a standard behaviour. So it would be absolutely wonderful to have an option for selecting whether double clicking should open the numerical input dialog or reset the parameter. Thanks. :-)

LarsDaniel wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:41 am I was told by support, that the issue with modulation being erased, would require a re-coding of the whole TransMod system. :-(
I found the bug, as I had made a noise patch with tons of modulation going on, and had assigned the 8 most important knobs to a midi controller. As I started playing aroung with the sound via midi, all modulation got erased.
This issue is a real showstopper. I will still use Cypher2 for certain things, but until this problem is fixed, my enthusiam is limited.

That said, I am absolutely in love with the range of mod sources. In particular the random sources and the voice/unison sources are so f*cking cool. And the way you can emulate, say, a 4-voice synth, right down to how voice stealing works on some of those old machines I have owned in the past. Oh, and that all OSCs are included as mod sources makes so much sense for a modular-synth-kind-of guy.
So thank you Angus, for a great instrument, but please fix it.
WHAT? I reported it to support as well and they just said thanks for the report. It is a ridiculous bug that really needs to be fixed.

It's also ridiculous to imply that the whole system would have to be recoded. No it doesn't have to be. All they need to do is instead of clipping the values, not clip them permanently in the preset, but only clip the parameter range in the synth engine. The preset itself should always remember what the modulation amount was regardless of how you move the parameter that is being modulated.

I cannot believe this.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:56 pm It's also ridiculous to imply that the whole system would have to be recoded. No it doesn't have to be. All they need to do is instead of clipping the values, not clip them permanently in the preset, but only clip the parameter range in the synth engine. The preset itself should always remember what the modulation amount was regardless of how you move the parameter that is being modulated.

I cannot believe this.
Looks like the last real dsp-coder (Angus) has left the building long ago.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

FYI I checked my support emails again and it was a little less pessimistic actually. The supporot person said "Talking to the software team I can confirm it is on their list of things they know they need to address."

So that gives me hope.

mladi wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:01 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:56 pm It's also ridiculous to imply that the whole system would have to be recoded. No it doesn't have to be. All they need to do is instead of clipping the values, not clip them permanently in the preset, but only clip the parameter range in the synth engine. The preset itself should always remember what the modulation amount was regardless of how you move the parameter that is being modulated.

I cannot believe this.
Looks like the last real dsp-coder (Angus) has left the building long ago.
No, he hasn’t.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Can we stop with the wild and harmful conjectures? It's like teen school gossip but with bigger ramifications. We don't need that here.

yellowmix wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:25 pm Can we stop with the wild and harmful conjectures? It's like teen school gossip but with bigger ramifications. We don't need that here.
Do you mean the precisely one post that claimed that a developer left? Agreed, we should all stop posting that one post's worth of conjecture. Speaking of school, you didn't take drama class did you? ;)

I have to disagree about one point though - Teen gossip can have much bigger ramifications (the mental health of developing youths) than a few anonymous forum users discussing virtual synthesizers.

Anyways, back on topic....

Most recently, yes that one post. But it's not the first time in this thread and other FXpansion threads similar conjectures have come up (e.g., WRT to Roli, FUD about their flagship products that they have recently updated, etc.). It's like people want FXpansion to fail.

And yes, I agree, the analogy with teen gossip was bad. Apples and oranges, really. Keep forgetting to avoid making analogies since they are rarely accurate and nuanced enough.

I would like to address this problem gingerly, because I use said software, and the people raising concerns here know what they are talking about for the most part. (here comes the but) but, you assign a modulation amount because the modulation is automated. once you take control of the said modulation... you become the amount correct? you are now manually setting the amount of modulation by hand. I'm not sure how you can automate, and manually set, at the same time. tell me I'm wrong, because I'm not sure what is going on here, and I love to learn.

Most any other synth doesn't have this issue - you can have exactly the same modulation amount set up and you can still automate the original parameter, with modulation amount staying how you set it.

Return to “Instruments”