OSX Catalina vs OpenGL vs ProTools 10

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There is a technological disruption ahead if us. 99% of users no longer need the processing power of a high end traditional CPU and ARM based system provide some other significant advantages.

Most importantly, they are much better suited for systems built around AI functionality. You already see this today with the latest iPhone chips. What Apple is trying to do is move the market so that they can best take advantage of that disruption.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

AI needs much processing power when you train a network (learning), but is rather low on the CPU when you apply it.
So the learning will most likely moved more to special to cloud-based servers. The rest will run on thin-client user devices.
The big companies like Microsoft and (evil) Google will benefit and extend their monopoly position. The end-users will depend completely on these companies.

Imho the AI stuff is currently overhyped. It is only able to solve simple and very specific tasks. But is works very well for manipulating users for marketing.

Markus Krause wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:34 pm Imho the AI stuff is currently overhyped. It is only able to solve simple and very specific tasks. But is works very well for manipulating users for marketing.
Exactly! Everything is overhyped these days... AI is no AI, it's just machine learning of various kinds. When the true AI will come, it won't be in a cellphone, it will be in a military bunker and we will be doomed :D :borg:
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:22 pm
Markus Krause wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:34 pm Imho the AI stuff is currently overhyped. It is only able to solve simple and very specific tasks. But is works very well for manipulating users for marketing.
Exactly! Everything is overhyped these days... AI is no AI, it's just machine learning of various kinds. When the true AI will come, it won't be in a cellphone, it will be in a military bunker and we will be doomed :D :borg:
You're so right :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

Hey Vojtech, I wanted to say thanks for your statement here: https://www.meldaproduction.com/text-tu ... to-windows

I wish all audio developers would publish such a statement, to generate some real pressure on Apple. Since their politics suck so much for all, the users and devs.

The problem is they drop OpenGL support? are there other changes?

plusfer wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:37 pm The problem is they drop OpenGL support? are there other changes?
With apple there is always some expensive annoying change one has to attend to in order to keep old product working.

In my experience there was so much maintenance work to keep old stuff running that there was not much time left over to work on new features.

Some people like being code mechanics but my enjoyment was writing new stuff and perpetual reinventng the wheel was no fun. Actually it was more like (fun ^ -n).

I wanted to quit Mac programming so bad it made my teeth hurt for several years before finally saying hell no circa 2012 but backslid and did some Mac work in 2014.

Not speaking for anyone else-- It ain't any one thing. It is just a constant load of some kind of crap coming down the line. Notarization stasi bureaucracy and opengl is just part of apple's current load of crap. Apple had some old load of crap last year and will have some even newer load of crap next year. IMO after awhile the exact odor of each new turd doesn't matter so much. :)

A saying goes something like, "Nowhere in the world is there a woman so sweet, beautiful and intelligent that there is not some man who is tired of her crap." It is saved from being politically incorrect because the aphorism works just as good turned inside out.

Just that apple wasn't beautiful enough to keep me from getting tired of it's crap. :)
Last edited by JCJR on Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MeldaProduction wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:26 am Ok, but these are still mobile CPUs right?
Well, yes, but that distinction is becoming more and more blurred.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Markus Krause wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:34 pm The big companies like Microsoft and (evil) Google will benefit and extend their monopoly position.
They're all evil anymore. Whoever controls the spice (data) controls the Universe!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

MacGyver wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:12 pm Hey Vojtech, I wanted to say thanks for your statement here: https://www.meldaproduction.com/text-tu ... to-windows

I wish all audio developers would publish such a statement, to generate some real pressure on Apple. Since their politics suck so much for all, the users and devs.
I hereby confirm what Melda writes in his article. Thank you Melda for this tough statement.
We will also recommend our customers to move to Windows.

MeldaProduction wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:22 pm
I share your sentiment on this
For the sake of precision, machine learning is a subset of ai. Deep learning is a subset of machine learning.
Several dsp companies - but really few - are in the real deep learning subset, most of audio companies are still doing machine learning.

What they call 'deep learning' is nothing but a layered linear network.
Even with the most advanced algorithms we a ages away from real intelligence.
The human brain has 100 billion (!) neurons. It is completly impossible even with today's most powerful mainframes to simulate only a small fraction of this.
The current 'AI' apps only have the capabilities of insects or worms or are limited to very specific tasks which they have been trained for.

Markus Krause wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:26 pm
MacGyver wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:12 pm Hey Vojtech, I wanted to say thanks for your statement here: https://www.meldaproduction.com/text-tu ... to-windows

I hereby confirm what Melda writes in his article. Thank you Melda for this tough statement.
We will also recommend our customers to move to Windows.
Thanks folks! It would certainly be a game changer if every developer would publicly state this. Apple fanatics could no longer say "just do your work...". Well, I can dream :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

When I got sick of developing on Windows I hired a guy who'd do that for me.

That said, reading George of DiscoDSP's excellent tutorial on Notarization for Catalina, I was able to add the required steps to our workflow in less than a day. That included shells scripts, CMake stuff, funky password shit I hadn't heard of before, recovering some passwords I hadn't used in years, building stuff, sending an email to Apple for further clarification (ok, answer came next day), adapting our automated workflow for Apple File System and writing some documentation for the rest of the team.

Edit: I forgot, it also included switching the build system to latest Xcode.

Urs wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:22 am When I got sick of developing on Windows I hired a guy who'd do that for me.

That said, reading George of DiscoDSP's excellent tutorial on Notarization for Catalina, I was able to add the required steps to our workflow in less than a day. That included shells scripts, CMake stuff, funky password shit I hadn't heard of before, recovering some passwords I hadn't used in years, building stuff, sending an email to Apple for further clarification (ok, answer came next day), adapting our automated workflow for Apple File System and writing some documentation for the rest of the team.

Edit: I forgot, it also included switching the build system to latest Xcode.
Hehe not that Windows would be perfect ;). But the compatibilty is top notch there.

Could you share the link to the notarization tutorial?
Vojtech

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”